: New Parts, New Assignment, Not Enough Time

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-23-13, 11:05 AM
For those of you who have seen the thread, my V is currently in the middle of a seat and roll bar install. It has taken a lot longer than I expected it to, but that seems to generally be the case. In addition to that I have a bunch of parts laying on my bedroom floor ready to go in to include G-Force 9" rear kit, SKF hubs x4, Revshift bushings, V2 yellow calipers and clear fog housings.

That said, a couple weeks ago I got selected for my next assignment (I'm in the Air Force). Here's some info on the program I'm doing if anyone is interested: http://www.afghanwarnews.info/afpakhands.htm , http://www.jcs.mil/page.aspx?id=52

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to be moving to the DC area at the end of next month. Not a lot of time to get a bunch of stuff I have to do done, let alone mess with modding my car. Not to mention, I'm putting all this money into my car to make it better on the track just to not even get to go. First world problems, man. :bonkers:

thebigjimsho
05-23-13, 01:12 PM
You're gonna be 5 hours from VIR and you're complaining? Let me break this back out:

SHADDUP!

rjoffe
05-23-13, 05:12 PM
An hour from summit point.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-23-13, 05:40 PM
Oh no, I realize that. I'm not really going to have much time to head to the track though. I'll be gone elsewhere for half the time doing various training, etc. Then I'll be out of the country for a year. Not complaining, just sharing I guess.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-23-13, 08:55 PM
Thought I'd add a picture:
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg149/UnsafeAtAnySpd/IMG_20130523_185025_861_zpse2f0b4e2.jpg (http://s247.photobucket.com/user/UnsafeAtAnySpd/media/IMG_20130523_185025_861_zpse2f0b4e2.jpg.html)

NC-V
05-23-13, 09:39 PM
I'll tell you what, I'll install the parts for you and take care of it while your gone ... you know, make sure it gets driven every once in a while.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-23-13, 09:57 PM
^Surprisingly, your not the first one to have offered... :D

Junior1
05-24-13, 12:03 AM
You're also going to be awfully close to Lindsay Cadillac too.

So now Rob can fix the things you break at Summit and VIR with parts from Luke...

mstrjon32
05-24-13, 02:16 AM
Anyway, it looks like I'm going to be moving to the DC area at the end of next month.

My deepest condolences. I lived in the DC area for almost 5 years, and with the exception of Baltimore City, I can't stand it there. Hopefully it will treat you better, but I doubt it.

rand49er
05-24-13, 07:06 AM
From Cheyenne to DC ... now that's culture shock!

rjoffe
05-24-13, 07:40 AM
My deepest condolences. I lived in the DC area for almost 5 years, and with the exception of Baltimore City, I can't stand it there. Hopefully it will treat you better, but I doubt it.

I couldn't disagree more, but to each his own.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-24-13, 02:08 PM
From Cheyenne to DC ... now that's culture shock!

Yeah, not sure which will be more. That or the US to Afghanistan... :D

V for victory
05-24-13, 03:54 PM
How do you afford all those goodies being in the Military??? I served many years and couldn't afford to buy a V, decides being able to MOD it. Nice assortment of parts you have there..Good luck in DC.

thebigjimsho
05-24-13, 08:19 PM
An hour from summit point.

Meh.

mstrjon32
05-25-13, 03:01 AM
Yeah, not sure which will be more. That or the US to Afghanistan... :D

You're probably less likely to get shot in Afghanistan. (sorry rjoffe...I just can't stand that city).

HAMSTAR
05-25-13, 08:28 AM
Baltimore City is awesome. Still a little Wild West up here. Many people take the train into DC. Keep us in mind!

AAIIIC
05-25-13, 09:55 PM
In addition to that I have a bunch of parts laying on my bedroom floor ready to go in to include G-Force 9" rear kit, SKF hubs x4, Revshift bushings, V2 yellow calipers and clear fog housings.

Anyway, it looks like I'm going to be moving to the DC area at the end of next month. Not a lot of time to get a bunch of stuff I have to do done, let alone mess with modding my car. Not to mention, I'm putting all this money into my car to make it better on the track just to not even get to go. First world problems, man. :bonkers:
Just let the movers box all that stuff up and save it until a later date, unless you actually need it on the car to move it. For my last PCS last year, I was still recovering from blowing my engine at VIR, so I had to get that fixed or I couldn't move the car. Other stuff could wait, like the GMPP rear diff cooler that I've had for a couple years now and still haven't installed. :rolleyes:

I had this engine for my Subaru (http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/Subaru/EZ30R%20install/leaving%20the%20crate1.jpg) in that metal crate moved from MD to RI to WA to VA (DC) over the course of 4 years. I have so many car parts and tools that the guys were calling me "NAPA" when they unloaded my stuff in the DC area. :p

Oh, and the DC area is a great place to live. I'm not sure what mstrjon32 ran into, but I stayed out of the 1% of the region that is the "bad part of town" and never had any issues. Same goes for living in any major metropolitan area.

Mn800r
05-26-13, 03:13 PM
Thank you for your service, god willing it will all work out just fine. Take care and best of luck!.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-27-13, 02:48 PM
You're also going to be awfully close to Lindsay Cadillac too.

So now Rob can fix the things you break at Summit and VIR with parts from Luke...

I was thinking about that. That's where the calipers came from among other parts that I have. Any suggestions on somebody to install the 9" kit?

How do you afford all those goodies being in the Military??? I served many years and couldn't afford to buy a V, decides being able to MOD it. Nice assortment of parts you have there..Good luck in DC.

Not many expenses and misplaced priorities... :D

You're probably less likely to get shot in Afghanistan. (sorry rjoffe...I just can't stand that city).

Hopefully neither happens, but we'll see.

Just let the movers box all that stuff up and save it until a later date, unless you actually need it on the car to move it. For my last PCS last year, I was still recovering from blowing my engine at VIR, so I had to get that fixed or I couldn't move the car. Other stuff could wait, like the GMPP rear diff cooler that I've had for a couple years now and still haven't installed. :rolleyes:

I had this engine for my Subaru (http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/Subaru/EZ30R%20install/leaving%20the%20crate1.jpg) in that metal crate moved from MD to RI to WA to VA (DC) over the course of 4 years. I have so many car parts and tools that the guys were calling me "NAPA" when they unloaded my stuff in the DC area. :p

Oh, and the DC area is a great place to live. I'm not sure what mstrjon32 ran into, but I stayed out of the 1% of the region that is the "bad part of town" and never had any issues. Same goes for living in any major metropolitan area.

Yeah, that's the plan. My other two moves I did full DITYs but not this time. I need to take care of the extra cars I have ASAP though.

Thank you for your service, god willing it will all work out just fine. Take care and best of luck!.

Thanks.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-01-13, 10:11 PM
Any suggestions in the DC area to do the 9" install in a couple months?

Also, about to get my car back from the roll bar install. Pictures are in another thread of mine if interested.

rjoffe
06-02-13, 05:51 PM
Any suggestions in the DC area to do the 9" install in a couple months?

Let us know what you come up with for an installer.

DMM
06-05-13, 10:24 PM

^ This...and the Baltimore City Police are half as smart and twice as crooked as the criminals they are supposed to be going after (but get bribed not to).

Welcome to the area! Will you be in DC or the "People's Republic of Maryland"? Either way, keep your eyes peeled for the 4' high x 2' square metal boxes throughout DC and MD...they are the speed camera's. They are at almost every bridge overpass. DC makes over $500k/yr from individual cameras since they have ridiculous speed limits (ie 30 MPH for 5 lane roads). Just be careful, they are upwards of $200/pop and there are more than a few people that have racked up thirty or more in a row before getting the first violation in the mail.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-06-13, 01:01 AM
^Thanks for the heads up on the cameras. I'm not positive where I'm going to live yet, but have been looking at apartments in the Arlington/Rosslyn area as my four months of language training is nearby. Then when I come back from my first deployment in '15 look into something else elsewhere. I guess I should probably solidify some of these plans soon...

On a somewhat related note, I got something today. Maybe it will help me out in what is to come:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/485852_945342773779_142803537_n.jpg

rjoffe
06-06-13, 09:30 AM
They are at almost every bridge overpass.

And quite a few underpasses under DC squares.

But the worst must be in Baltimore. I can't seem to take a trip into Baltimore without getting a red light camera ticket.

Congrats on the piece of paper!

thebigjimsho
06-06-13, 05:02 PM
Your name is Andrew Stevens?

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-06-13, 05:16 PM
Yeah, like the B movie star and about a million other people. Gotta love having a generic name...

----------

Congrats on the piece of paper!

Thanks. I think buying a printer would've been a lot cheaper and less effort though.

rjoffe
06-07-13, 08:01 AM
I think buying a printer would've been a lot cheaper and less effort though.

No disrespect meant, the reference is that the paper isn't what's important, the effort to get there is.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-07-13, 11:15 AM
No disrespect meant, the reference is that the paper isn't what's important, the effort to get there is.

That's not what I meant either. Sorry. I was just joking that that's all I have to show for it now. It is on my record for the Air Force now though which should help when my Major's board comes around in a few years. :)

thebigjimsho
06-07-13, 02:50 PM
You guise fail internet.

AAIIIC
06-10-13, 07:55 PM
Either way, keep your eyes peeled for the 4' high x 2' square metal boxes throughout DC and MD...they are the speed camera's.
No, they are the speed cameras. I think they're all marked ahead of time (or at least, the general area is marked) and if you pay attention to traffic, everyone slows down for the cameras so it's usually pretty easy to figure out where they are. (I say "usually" because driving through at off hours takes away that indicator, and then you can get a ticket if you're not paying attention. Not that I've ever done that. :o) "At almost every bridge overpass" is a pretty healthy exaggeration, but maybe it's worse on the MD side of DC.

Just be careful, they are upwards of $200/pop and there are more than a few people that have racked up thirty or more in a row before getting the first violation in the mail.
They're $120. Anyone that can accumulate 30 of them must be blasting along with absolutely zero awareness of what traffic around them is doing.