Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Keep Sport Mode Suspension Activated

6K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Atv 
#1 ·
Is there any way to default the car to keeping the Sport suspension mode activated? It does such a good job at maintaining a smooth ride when not cornering, i don't know why I'd ever want it in Touring mode. Would definitely prefer not selecting it every time I start the car though. It would also be great to start in competition mode every time too.

#2 ·
My salesman said it would keep the last setting (meaning it would default to whatever it was on when you turned the key off last).

Obviously, he was wrong - and I do not believe there is a way to save that selection without changing the software (ie "tuning" the appropriate computer module).

With that said... I'm still trying to figure out of my car has a heated steering wheel - and if not, why not? Wife's CTS wagon has it.

#4 ·
I'd wager that if you can find someone to hack the computer module that controls the suspension settings - there is a line of code with a default status of "0" that could be changed to "1" or somesuch. But of course the hard part is finding someone with the knowledge to do that - making the mod functionally unrealistic of course.

There was a CTSV owner on *************** that said he could modify any module in the car... I wonder if he could do it?

It's a damn shame there isn't a preference in the menu system that allows you to save the suspension and stabilitrak settings between starts (but I get why Cadillac resets them each time). Still annoying.

#9 ·
Sorry guys, some of the suggestions listed above are brilliant and will likely be in the Gen 3 CTS-V, but we just have to suck it up and hit a button or two extra when you start the car. It is sad, but it's these 1st world problems we all have to deal with every day. :D

#11 ·
we just have to suck it up and hit a button or two extra when you start the car. It is sad, but it's these 1st world problems we all have to deal with every day. :D
Yeah yeah - but you'd think for $70K there would be some options for customizing. 1st world problems for sure, but dammit I am wrestling a 2 year old into the car seat - I don't need more things to do before running out of the door 10 minutes late in the morning! :D

#13 · (Edited)
It's one button........ when you get in, push it. Is it that hard? Deal with it.

When I get into my V, I disable the DRL, put on the fog lights, hold the TCS until all is off, push the suspension button, hold my foot on the brake, push the EPB button, and go.... every time. It's not hard.

In a world of unnecessary airbags, back-up cameras, blind-zone alerts, on-board navigation, night vision, bluetooth, and all this other "fluff" that takes away from the driving experience, pressing ONE button ruins you life? Really?

Furthermore, do you need Sport mode with a 2-year-old in the car?

#15 ·
When I get into my V, I disable the DRL, put on the fog lights, hold the TCS until all is off, push the suspension button, hold my foot on the brake, push the EPB button, and go.... every time. It's not hard.
Wow, not only did I not know to do all those things, but also I DON'T know what they do! Care to explain what they do, or at least PM me? I mean, I understand what a fog light is, but my goodness, up until now I didn't know how to turn them on (never had a need to). But DRL, TCS, EPB, what is all that?

#16 ·
This isn't a gripe thread. I started it as a question to see if there is a work around.
I think it's funny that the only people bitching are the ones complaining about about OP (and myself) stating our preferences for an alternative.

What's next, chewing people out when they ask about swapping pulleys or using different brands of tire? I hope I picked the "correct" color in my compromise of purchasing a vehicle that I enjoy, but would personalize in subtle ways given the chance....

It's one button........ when you get in, push it. Is it that hard? Deal with it.

In a world of unnecessary airbags, back-up cameras, blind-zone alerts, on-board navigation, night vision, bluetooth, and all this other "fluff" that takes away from the driving experience, pressing ONE button ruins you life? Really?

Furthermore, do you need Sport mode with a 2-year-old in the car?
Compulsive button-pushing sequences and a retentive, melodramatic rant on why everyone else can't just awesome be like you... hmmm - are you an engineer by chance? :D

#17 · (Edited)
All I'm saying is that the OP is complaining about "being wound too tight" to push ONE button before operating a heavy hunk of metal wih 4 rubber tires that goes almost 200mph, and is now going to spend hours to "dig into the electronics," potentially messing up something critical in the PCM just so he can circumvent pressing, again, ONE BUTTON. What's next? Complaining that you have to press a button to open the door to get in? "It should just open for me..."

I have to say, I have my own "drive settings" I use too, but the 6 to 7 seconds it takes to turn off TCS and ESC doesn't intrude on my free time. I don't leave rubber marks when I leave the garage.

And no, I'm not an engineer; just a gear-head who would rather press a few simple buttons than have navigation, airbags, and back-up cameras. I LIKE to drive, and I don't necessarily need, like, use, or want any of this useless crap that has become standard on modern vehicles. Is it cool that the V has all these things? Yes, but it's definitely NOT the reason I spent $71K.

It actually seems like the OP is more of an engineer, since he is contemplating screwing with the programming of the electronics. And honestly, I mean no disrespect, but sometimes, saving 7 seconds isn't worth ruining something else; not to mention the time it takes to figure it all out. We have it pretty good - we have CTS-Vs. We should all just be happy about that alone.

#18 ·
All I'm saying is that the OP is complaining about "being wound too tight"...
Hmmm. I'm the OP. I never complained. I asked a question and expressed a preference. I never said anything about 'being wound to tight'. I'm a DIY guy, like to tinker with my toys, and get satisfaction out of customizing things to my liking. If I can make the car default to sport mode, it's my time and effort and potentially everyone else's benefit if it works. Don't make up stories about me complaining about anything. I'm not.

Don't be the guy with 6 posts who spent 5 of them trying to annoy forum members and alienate himself. These communities can be awesome, particularly when everyone works together to sort out issues and expand possibilities.

#19 ·
Well, I wish you good luck. If you do figure it out, great. It would actually be cool to just get in and drive the way you want to.

I work in the utility industry, and I guess my bias comes from the ever-changing, non-compatible software world of essential electronic devices that deliver power to our houses; and what I've learned over the last ten years is if it works (software), don't fix what isn't technically broken. In other words, we (at work) would never try to "make something better" (software) just for convenience.

But I do wish you good luck.

#21 ·
Sounds like this can be done fairly easily? A simple microcontroller that is wired to a switches power source, waits a few seconds, triggers a relay that is NO, for closes it for a second, then goes to sleep. Wire the relay up to the wires for the physical button.

No modification to the software, can be reversed when you sell your car, and hitting the suspension button would put it back into touring mode. Can be done with about $30 in parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.