: Torn Between E63AMG or CTS-V - Please Help Me Decide

AlexTaylor
05-23-13, 08:38 AM
Gents,

Brand new here and I'm torn between moving to a 2008 E63 or a 2009/10 CTS-V. I previously owned a quick E55 AMG (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wffK2MQWylo) but am falling in love with the V. Travelling for business this week so I rented a 2013 CTS-V with only 2.5K miles on it and it's a beast!

What I like about the V is how inexpensive (relatively) it is to modify vs. an AMG. Maintenance/repairs are also much cheaper (I'd get an extended warranty) and I'm guessing the V is much more reliable. My E55 was NOT reliable to put it mildly but a joy to drive when it ran.

I live in AZ and drive 100 miles daily to and from work in the heat. I am seriously considering getting a V but AMG is still pulling on my heartstings a bit. (I recently sold my E55).

Any advice, guidance, counsel would be appreciated!

Thank very much.

Alex

Chrispy
05-23-13, 09:02 AM
V hands down...

AlexTaylor
05-23-13, 09:03 AM
Thanks! About to hop in my rental (it was a 4 day rental) now and drive it back to the airport. :)

Appreciate it!

Alex

Chrispy
05-23-13, 09:19 AM
I guess I should elaborate :)

All the below favour the Caddy.

1 - Repair and modification costs
2 - Overall Performance (Straight line and twisty)
3 - Aftermarket support
4 - Looks (subjective)
5 - Drivetrain reliability especially with modifications
6 - $$$ / HP is impossible to beat

Bullet Tooth
05-23-13, 10:28 AM
I bought a V after owning an E55 for 5 years. I was torn between a CLS63 and the V. I bought my V about 1.5 years ago and I couldn't be happier. Here is what I said after buying the V (I obviously didn't do a comparison with the E63):

First post here, although I spent a great deal of time on here before my purchase last week. It is my MO to research cars to death before I buy them and this car was no exception. I took delivery 8 days ago of a new 2012 V, White Diamond with graphite wheels and Recaros. The only thing I didn't get that I wanted was the Alcantara steering wheel. I have already plasti-dipped my grill (that is an entirely different thread, as I need to explain my wife's reaction to seeing a spray can in front of my new car.)

I am coming out of a 2004 E55 AMG. I purchased that car used in 2006. It has 125,000 miles on it and I was ready to get something new(er). I am a guaranteed car nut and have owned several cars through the years, including a G55 and S550 MB, a 745i BMW and a couple of really nice toy cars. But, I have to say the E55 is the best car I have ever owned. I sold the E55 to one of my law partners, so I still see it every day.

Since I remarried again 5 years ago, the accountant wife has slowly enlightened me on the folly of car ownership (not really), so the car buying has been put on the back burner a bit. With that said, I was considering the new CLS63, the CTS V and/or a used Panamera Turbo. I should also tell you that I get a full boat GM discount on new GM cars, since my father-in-law recently retired from a long career with GM. When I began looking for a new daily driver, the wife encourage me to start with the V, as she absolutely loves her Escalade. I went to the dealership about 3 weeks ago and drove the V for the first time and absolutely loved it. Based on the huge price difference between the V and the other 2 cars I was considering, I didn't go look at anything else.

Since I may have a bit of a different perspective than others, based on my years driving MB, I thought I would share my thoughts. Some are just my personal issues, but most are my observations when comparing the V to my E55:

Pros:

1. Handling and ride is much better than in the E55 (I understand it is a heavily used car compared to a new one, but the difference is strikiing)
2. Ingress/egress is much easier in the V
3. I actually like the interior better in the V. The stereo is substantially better in the V, as the E absolutely sucked.
4. The V seems much more refined

Cons:

1. The V does not seem as responsive as the E. Because I am still breaking it in, I have not absolutely romped the V yet. But, in my limited "spirited" driving, the V seems much slower to grab you. From a dig, stomping on the E was a violent experience with immediate throttle response. I am hoping that, after the break-in period, I will be as pleased with this as I was the E. (My E ran a 12.3, bone stock and I will be taking the V down the same strip at some point this spring.)
2 Recaros. Maybe I just don't have them dialed in yet. But, the E55 had the dynamic seats in it and they were absolutely great. I am just not there yet with the Recaros.
3. Color. I must say that I love the color right now and it is certainly not the car's fault. I am just worried. Prior to this car, I have only owned 1 car that wasn't black. I was ready for something different and I do absolutely love it right now. I hope I do in 3 years.
4. Exterior styling. I can't help it, but I absolutely love the styling of the AMG's. I am coming around on the V though.

I do have a few mods planned, but nothing too severe. I plan on putting on a Corsa exhaust, a 9.55 lower pulley, a CAI and maybe a tune (haven't decided on this yet, as I don't want to void any warranties.) Those are my initial thoughts. Be kind.

That was over a year ago. I am still very happy with the car and don't regret anything. There are a few threads on this very subject. Do a search and you will see what others have said about it.

Trapspeed
05-23-13, 11:03 AM
What I like about the V is how inexpensive (relatively) it is to modify vs. an AMG. Maintenance/repairs are also much cheaper (I'd get an extended warranty) and I'm guessing the V is much more reliable. My E55 was NOT reliable to put it mildly but a joy to drive when it ran.

Welcome. See above and enjoy your V. That's really all you need to break the "tie". :)

AlexTaylor
05-23-13, 11:49 AM
Thank you all, particularly you bullet as I to had a 2004 E55 AMG. I agree with everything you've said as I just returned the rental and it was basically a 4 day test-drive for me in a 2013 V. It was loaded, recarro's, full glass roof, alcantera (SP?) wheel, black on black with black wheels and yellow calipers, the works. And as I plan to mod my V heavily,the mod price is unbeatable!

Thanks again, hopefully it's OK if I lurk here a bit to learn more, this has been very helpful! Already miss my rental. :)

quikag
05-23-13, 12:54 PM
V all the way. Unless you can get a 10+ E63, I wouldn't mess with the earlier models. Just a little too sloppy even if that 6.2 NA V8 sounds awesome. I've driven an '07 E63 and '10 E63 and the driving difference is huge. The '10 E63 feels WAY better in the overall drive than the earlier model.

Either way, get the V. You definitely won't be disappointed.

the blur
05-23-13, 01:59 PM
You used the words "extended warranty" & "modify" in the same sentence. :histeric:

RaVeNous
05-23-13, 02:38 PM
unless we are talking 2012 or newer AMG I would say no. The V is faster, and will have warranty. It will also probaly keep its value better if that is important to you.

SoCal_V
05-23-13, 04:00 PM
You're asking whether to buy a cts-v or an AMG on a Cadillac forum? What do you expect everyone to say? Lol.

I'm on year 2 with my V sedan. Love the power and speed....not much of a fan of the interior, sound, or parts quality. My next car will be an AMG for those reasons.

Pick the car you like. Ask around here and all you'll hear is "CTS-V hands down" because we all have made an investment in this car, which makes people a little more than biased.

CavemanB52
05-23-13, 04:33 PM
I wouldn't say bias as much as the V is faster for less money. Thats just a fact. And if you want it to be even faster... then just spend $20000... and it will be insane GTR fast and still will have spent less money than an E63. Just facts. If you want to go fast and blow cars off the road that cost way more than the V... Then get the V. If you need better interior pieces.... which entirely subjective and not a fact. Then get the MB. Good luck with whatever your choice is. If you pick the MB I guess from now on I will wave as I pass just like I do with BMW M5s. Everytime I pass I think damn they must be comfortable and those interiors must be really nice to look at for an extra $20, 000.! Cheers

AlexTaylor
05-23-13, 07:23 PM
You used the words "extended warranty" & "modify" in the same sentence. :histeric:

I did indeed. CNA covered over $20,000 in repairs (parts & labor) and my E55 was heavily modified. It can be done trust me. :D

----------

Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback. Having a CTS-V for 4 days really has me thinking. I have 3 young kids so 4 doors is a must and I'm an Executive at a software company so a GTR or GT500 is out.

Thanks again.

Alex

CavemanB52
05-23-13, 08:18 PM
If I had it to do all over again I'd get a wagon. I love the coupe. But the wagon is just so rare and useful.

oneman42
05-23-13, 09:12 PM
Thank you all, particularly you bullet as I to had a 2004 E55 AMG. I agree with everything you've said as I just returned the rental and it was basically a 4 day test-drive for me in a 2013 V. It was loaded, recarro's, full glass roof, alcantera (SP?) wheel, black on black with black wheels and yellow calipers, the works. And as I plan to mod my V heavily,the mod price is unbeatable!

Thanks again, hopefully it's OK if I lurk here a bit to learn more, this has been very helpful! Already miss my rental. :)
Who is renting out Vs, just out of curiosity?
George

austin
05-23-13, 11:31 PM
Cons:

1. The V does not seem as responsive as the E. Because I am still breaking it in, I have not absolutely romped the V yet. But, in my limited "spirited" driving, the V seems much slower to grab you. From a dig, stomping on the E was a violent experience with immediate throttle response. I am hoping that, after the break-in period, I will be as pleased with this as I was the E. (My E ran a 12.3, bone stock and I will be taking the V down the same strip at some point this spring.)

The GM automatic transmissions factory programming is the blame.. It is just awful.. In all GM models.. It seeks out 6th gear ASAP and doesn't kick down low enough on the highway and is very lazy around town.. Once tuned the car is a different beast.. Also, if you just leave it in D all of the time you will always be starting off in 2nd gear.. That alone will give you a less violence experience.. Slap the shifter over to the right and into sport mode and then romp on it and you will feel the beast as it hurls you from 1st gear to redline in just a few quick seconds.

I recently bought a diablosport Trinity and flashed in the diablosport 93 tune and firm transmission option.. What a huge difference.. Best purchase so far.. 1st to 2nd gear shift drops a nice patch and 2nd to 3rd gear chirps and I haven't even tweaked it out yet. :)

To the OP.. My friend has a 2004 E55 AMG.. They are very quick but the "V" is the way to go!! He says the newer E63 is slower than his E55 AMG.

heater
05-24-13, 12:23 AM
Where in AZ?

amunderdog
05-24-13, 01:30 AM
Jaguar XF

AlexTaylor
05-24-13, 08:54 AM
Who is renting out Vs, just out of curiosity?
George

I few into Atlanta Hartsfield airpot on Monday and they had it right out front of the Hertz Gold Counter. They also had a convertaible Audi RS8. Yes both are not typos. :) So I got the V! :)

Really, really enjoyed it for 4 days. Drove it in traffic as well as took it up to 120MPH and it was awesome. Daily driver comfort is imortant for me as I drive 100 miles daily to and from work. This is AZ so the roads are very good and it's actually kind of enjoyable if you're a car guy or have a car you like. :D Been doing this commute for 6 years now LOL.

----------

Where in AZ?

I live in San Tan Valley/Queen Creek area just off Hunt Highway.

----------

The GM automatic transmissions factory programming is the blame.. It is just awful.. In all GM models.. It seeks out 6th gear ASAP and doesn't kick down low enough on the highway and is very lazy around town.. Once tuned the car is a different beast.. Also, if you just leave it in D all of the time you will always be starting off in 2nd gear.. That alone will give you a less violence experience.. Slap the shifter over to the right and into sport mode and then romp on it and you will feel the beast as it hurls you from 1st gear to redline in just a few quick seconds.

I recently bought a diablosport Trinity and flashed in the diablosport 93 tune and firm transmission option.. What a huge difference.. Best purchase so far.. 1st to 2nd gear shift drops a nice patch and 2nd to 3rd gear chirps and I haven't even tweaked it out yet. :)

To the OP.. My friend has a 2004 E55 AMG.. They are very quick but the "V" is the way to go!! He says the newer E63 is slower than his E55 AMG.

Makes sense, the V it is and I will definite flash the ECU and transmission because I"m guessing GM took this approach for fuel mileage savings. The E55 did the same thing even though it was a 5 speed. "Comfort mode" started in 2nd gear and "Sport mode" started in 1st.

Thanks again.

Alex

----------

Jaguar XF

Thanks for the suggestion. But wouldn't the V blow the doors of an XF? Don't know much about them to be honest. Looking to mod my car heavily so I think V is it. Jag, not sure if you can mod them?

Thanks again.

Alex

quikag
05-24-13, 10:11 AM
Yeah, the XF is an okay car, but shouldn't even been in this discussion. Even the supercharged 5.0L V8 version can't hang with the V.

Get the V, Alex, and you'll be very happy. To throw another car into the discussion, a buddy just picked up a beautiful blue '13 M5 and he let me take it out for about 30 minutes by myself. The DCT transmission is AWESOME, and the car has a lot of gizmos on the interior. The engine is WAY too quiet, even with the engine noise coming through the stereo speakers and the car felt big. In short, I actually preferred my V overall to the new M5.

Owning a 2010 ZR1 and a 2012 CTS-V which I believe are two of the best overall models GM has ever produced, I personally think the CTS-V is the best overall car GM has ever made in the terms of build quality, substance, interior quality, market competitiveness, and refinement. I do think GM has cars in the pipeline that will be even better like the new C7 and the gen 3 CTS-V. But, right now, I think the V is the cream of the crop in the GM arsenal.

I think the new twin turbo E63 is a very nice car and even the M5 is very nice. Heck, might as well throw in the S6/S7/S8 models from Audi too. But, bang for the buck, and just overall wholesome, reliable, good clean fun and substance, the V is very hard to beat.

RaVeNous
05-24-13, 12:32 PM
The 2010 XF supercharged and XFR can most assuredly "hang" with the V. On a track the V would outshine it, but for normal driving, we are talking 3-4 10ths at most. The XF is a nice car, the XFR is a really nice car, but they are expensive, and have terrible depreciation which makes purchasing a lightlyused one a winning prop if the car is your thing. Test drive one, they are no joke, no joke at all, and have very nice interiors, arguably better fit than our V's - this sort of retro euro post modern thing going on. I prefer bits and pices of each over the other.

I obviously prefer the V :yup: I also really like the XJ supersport, but the Jags are really a different animal, for a different kind of owner. The E63, new ones are really nice cars, and are a very applicable alternative to the 2009+ V. The Benz are a similar animal, but a different price range both in initial cost, and maintenance.

musclecar6
05-24-13, 12:56 PM
Since you want to mod it, go with the V, send it to Lingenfelter or other top quality tuner who will do it right, the FIRST time & have a ball. You know how comfortable & fast it is stock. Imagine how much fun it will be with LPE's 700 hp package.

heater
05-24-13, 04:18 PM
I'm off Ocitillo and McQueen. Just up the road. We need more V's around here good call!

AlexTaylor
05-24-13, 06:14 PM
Thanks again everyone, a V it is, I've already begun my search. I might go crazy on you all and go with the D3's 4.2L Kenne Bell S/C package that's good up to 1,400 HP. :) (Per D3's website anyway). Go big or go home! Its' only $10.9K (plus install) so why not swing for the fences.

First though, I'll do some of the cheap/easy mods you all recommend, then save up for the 4.2L S/C. :D

Much appreciated, my V search as begun!

Alex

thebigjimsho
05-24-13, 08:06 PM
Will it break 12s?

NonGoggleGuy
05-24-13, 09:12 PM
No offense, but in my opinion, the D3 is ugly - too "boy-racer-ish." I bought a V Coupe because I like the way it looks just the way it is (among other reasons) and I like the fact that the interior makes it feel almost like a sleeper and the exterior isn't too awfully "busy," which D3 ruins. You may blow the doors off of anything short of a Veyron, but goddamn, you'll look like a tuned Honda Civic doing it. Again, this is just my opinon.

I think that no matter what, you're better off with ANY American car than a Mercedes... and (correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe the new E63AMGs are AWD... that's no fun in my book.

The bottom line is: the V is a better choice no matter what; in price, performance, quality, satisfaction, style, and rarity. Go with the V.

CavemanB52
05-25-13, 02:28 PM
Doesn't everybody in SoCal have a MB or BMW. Dare to be different I say...

Caroutisine
05-25-13, 09:53 PM
They are both amazing and similar cars. All you really need to decide is if the AMG is worth the extra $$$.

spearfish25
05-26-13, 05:32 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of exotic car rentals that include Vs as a cheaper performance option than the rest of their fleet.

----------

I few into Atlanta Hartsfield airpot on Monday and they had it right out front of the Hertz Gold Counter. They also had a convertaible Audi RS8. Yes both are not typos. :)

An 'RS8' is a typo. R8 yes. RS8 doesn't exist. But awesome you could rent an R8 from Hertz.

I'mAllIn
05-26-13, 08:51 AM
Get the wagon. Absolutely useful, cool looking and very rare indeed. Mine is getting ready to go under the knife for a little tweaking; headers, x-pipe, tune, Eibachs, upper pulley, CAI, etc.

Still in love with the car after 9 months of ownership, which is rare for me.

AlexTaylor
05-26-13, 07:35 PM
Sorry meant R8 convertible, my bad! :) And I'm going with a V for sure, thank you again. The achilles heel of AMG is they're not as reliable as a GM/Cadillac. With my 100 daily drive my E55 became a pain in the backside even though I had the extended warranty. In 3 years it had to be towed 4 times and I was taking it to the dealer for other items (that didn't require a tow) every other month.

I have a 100 mile daily drive to work and back and need a reliable car and it sounds like the V is reliable so that's the deciding factor for me.

Thanks again, I'll be one of you soon! :)

Trapspeed
05-27-13, 05:19 PM
Awesome. Send pics when you get one!

spearfish25
05-27-13, 07:09 PM
I can't argue with you about getting a V because its a great car. The only thing I'd consider is buying a car with a 250mi range for a 100 mi daily commute is going to bust the bank in gas.

1997BlackETC
05-27-13, 07:27 PM
I can't argue with you about getting a V because its a great car. The only thing I'd consider is buying a car with a 250mi range for a 100 mi daily commute is going to bust the bank in gas.

Yes definately very true. when I was driving my V a real lot, I got so tired of stopping for gas all the time and looking at my credit card bill every month.

CavemanB52
05-27-13, 11:08 PM
What the hell were you doing. My range increases to 380 miles when I'm on the highway.

AlexTaylor
05-28-13, 09:50 AM
What the hell were you doing. My range increases to 380 miles when I'm on the highway.

Yes my commute is mostly highway so the range of 350 Miles - 400 miles per tank is fine. It was like this with my E55 and I'm fine with the gas bill. I tell my wife I don't golf, I don't gamble, so my gas bill is my only, "Vice."

I don't get miles per gallon, I get, "Smiles per gallon." :D

Thanks again.

Alex

vfaninva
05-28-13, 01:39 PM
It's all about the spg's!

CavemanB52
05-28-13, 04:34 PM
Spg. I agree. That's why I've modded mine. Just to make sure I'm getting as many spg's as possible. CAI DRs catch can, tune and upper pully... I wonder how long that will last before the lower pulley, larger intercooler, meth kit, larger injectors, and long tube headers get put on? Or mabe just go with a 427. Just the thought of it gave me a free smile:)

AlexTaylor
05-28-13, 04:47 PM
Totally!

heater
05-29-13, 11:52 AM
When do you plan on pulling the trigger?

RocketV
05-30-13, 06:26 AM
One other thing to think about, living in AZ-It's been my experience having owned a bunch of cars from a Toyota Tercel (Hey, back off, I was a Lance Corporal and made $650 a month) to a Corvette Z06 and a couple V's, with all three American manufacturers, Japanese and European cars thrown in the mix, that No One does air conditioning better than GM. So you've got that going for you with a V, which is nice.

CavemanB52
05-30-13, 10:24 AM
One other thing to think about, living in AZ-It's been my experience having owned a bunch of cars from a Toyota Tercel (Hey, back off, I was a Lance Corporal and made $650 a month) to a Corvette Z06 and a couple V's, with all three American manufacturers, Japanese and European cars thrown in the mix, that No One does air conditioning better than GM. So you've got that going for you with a V, which is nice.

I never knew this to be true and would have thought this was an odd statement about air conditioning. But I've owned a few German cars lately. I lived in Louisiana the past 8 years and it is very hot and muggy in the summer as you can imagine. And my VW Toureg just would not cool off as well as my chevy or caddy. I couldn't figure it out and took it in several times to the Porche/VW dealership and they said its doing what it is supposed to do. To clarify the Euros think of air cond differently. As long as the cabin is 20 cooler than that's fine. Well not when its 110 outside. 90 in the cabin sucks. The germans don't break down but the systems don't work nearly as hard to reduce cabin temp. Same on a buddys M3 and VW diesel.... all new cars. Just a philosophy/society differece. Not necessarily quality and or going to break down type of issue.

1997BlackETC
05-30-13, 10:57 AM
Anybody know when the 2014 E63 amg wagon is going to be available? The new 2014 E350 have currently hit the dealer lots and I love the new front end design, I think the E63's will have that same front end? I know they are rare as heck and hardly any dealers are going to have them and start around 100K, the E350 can be had for around 65K or so depending on options and in my opinion is a beautiful wagon, I think the 2014's are better looking than even the CTS-V wagon, of course not as much go power with only 300 hp, but better gas mileage and bigger fuel tank, a little more practical. I think though if I were to get one though it would have to be the E63 wagon though as once you've experience over 500 hp you don't want to go back.

DCV
05-30-13, 11:05 AM
Euros think of air cond differently.

They sure do, some hotels over there still don''t have AC. And when you order an ice tea over there ...well you get somewhat cold tea with at most two ice cubes (and you better NOT ask for me). Hotels don't have ice machines.....you have to ask the desk and they charge you more it....When I go to Europe and get back home....I relish my big ass super cold ice tea with lots of ice from Mickey D's or the King. Ok my ice rant about Europe is over.

1997BlackETC
05-30-13, 11:21 AM
My new VW jetta seems to blow pretty cold a/c although I'll be driving to NYC today in hot temps so it will be the first time testing it with some real heat, suppose to get to 90 the next couple of days.

RippyPartsDept
05-30-13, 01:23 PM
all a/c systems will only be able to cool down your car X number of degrees from what the outside temperature is

that's just the nature of a/c

though GM does have a good reputation (at least in the past) for having their X number of degrees of cooling
the new SRX had some issues with cooling but i think that has been all worked out

thebigjimsho
05-30-13, 02:08 PM
Anybody know when the 2014 E63 amg wagon is going to be available? The new 2014 E350 have currently hit the dealer lots and I love the new front end design, I think the E63's will have that same front end? I know they are rare as heck and hardly any dealers are going to have them and start around 100K, the E350 can be had for around 65K or so depending on options and in my opinion is a beautiful wagon, I think the 2014's are better looking than even the CTS-V wagon, of course not as much go power with only 300 hp, but better gas mileage and bigger fuel tank, a little more practical. I think though if I were to get one though it would have to be the E63 wagon though as once you've experience over 500 hp you don't want to go back.

Oh, so you're the one. They RUINED the front end of the E-class. Absolutely disgusting. It is vomit inducing. They took a very classic look and cartooned it up trying to be like Audi. FAIL.