: 1998 Deville

powerglide
01-17-05, 10:12 PM
Paid about $10,000 for a 1998 Deville with 64,000 miles on it back in 2003. I bought it on eBay sight unseen. Compared to the 88 Fleetwood I had before, the leather feels thinner and cheaper intially, it feels less solid. (But this thing is MUCH more powerful) But after putting about 20,000 miles on it, I can say it has exceeded my expectations. Its VERY fast for a massive car, the Northstar makes the car feel much lighter under accelaration than it is. (you feel the weight during braking and turns) No problem passing most cars out there, so quiet and comfortable at all speeds. I've owned Lincolns, Hondas, Lexus, Chevy, Saab, Toyota, Jaguar in the past, this thing is a great bargain. (you get so much for your money, buying used)
Problems, some minor stuff, high pitched noise from engine, some oil burn/leak, headlight relay glitch, but nothing serious. I haven't been let down yet. If I could go back in time I would DEFINITELY do it again. Its just soooo damned comfortable and easy to drive, isn't this what its all about?

Gene Hamilton
10-17-05, 08:07 AM
My 98 Deville has also has a high pitched whine at idle that diminishes or completely disappears when I crack the throttle gently off idle.

The mechanics at the Cadillac dealership can hear it but cannot locate it. It is NOT related to engine rpm.

It's very annoying, to say the least. Have you had any luck finding the cause of your high pitched sound? Gene Hamilton - Indianapolis Ghamilton@indy.rr.com

Gene Hamilton
11-07-05, 09:17 AM
Whirring "noise" at idle in 98 DeVille? : FINALLY found the answer after one Cad. dealer, and two independent repairers looked at car and attempted to fix and failed.

A third independent shop found a partially restricted fuel filter (on the frame) that was creating the noise and transmitting it to other lines all bundled at that location.

The Cadillac dealer wanted to drop the gas tank and replace the fuel pump. I rejected this notion and paid them for their time. The first independent thought for sure it was the Catalytic Converter and actually replaced it at a cost of just under $500....with no results.

A second independent shop suggested strongly it had to be the PCV valve, replaced it....again ---no fix.

Noise now gone. Gene Hamilton ..

Gene Hamilton
07-18-06, 08:23 AM
Recently I had a right front hub replaced on my 98 DeVille along with repair of two wheels. The tech that delivered the car told me that at 55# tire pressure I would "Get a better ride."

When I finally got home (after slamming over even small pavement bumps) I found my tires all inflated to 45-47 pounds! I usually keep them at 30-32#. What is this nonsense? What tire pressures do others recommend? gene hamilton-Indianapolis, IN

Gene Hamilton
07-18-06, 08:24 AM
Recently I had a right front hub replaced on my 98 DeVille along with repair of two wheels. The tech that delivered the car told me that at 55# tire pressure I would "Get a better ride."

When I finally got home (after slamming over even small pavement bumps) I found my tires all inflated to 45-47 pounds! I usually keep them at 30-32#. What is this nonsense? What tire pressures do others recommend? gene hamilton-Indianapolis, IN

Gene Hamilton
09-26-06, 05:06 PM
It became necessary to replace the engine at 75K miles with a Long Block.
Not at 90K and the unit that "purges the cannister --- part of the emmision system" --- is noisy enough to make itself heard inside the car. It works all the time. Is this a sign that it's due for replacement? The noise is very
disconcerting! I'd appreciate any advice. Gene Hamilton

powerglide
09-26-06, 07:14 PM
Hi Gene,
I think you'd get a lot more response if you posed this question either in Deville section or even better the Northstar section:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/

I don't have any advice other than that... good luck!