: I riced out my caddy today

Stoneage_Caddy
01-17-05, 07:29 PM
The poor deville was subjected to torture today .....

Off and on lately ive noted a dimming of the headlamps at night under certan conditions. So today while i was changing the oil i remeberd i had a set of gauges for the G20 , a set that was orderd to match the rest of the interior lighting of the car (blue)....One of them was a voltage gauge so i took some particle board and fasioned up a mounting plate and covered it in black fabric ...then wired it in.....all this work to hook a gauge up temporary...

dont worry guys itll come back out when i feel like the alternator is ok ....http://www.cadillacforums.com/photopost/data/500/959DSC01134-med.JPG

Vesicant
01-17-05, 10:48 PM
What?? No duct-tape cardboard pillar gauge pod? :banghead2

lol.. atleast the colors match your radio

K2K
01-17-05, 11:13 PM
That's not really rice :-P

I have some soup cans left over from dinner though, if you want to make the care *really* cool with some new "mufflers"

Stoneage_Caddy
01-18-05, 12:21 AM
hehehe ..tell me i an trouble shoot the intermittent off idle stumble with that and ill do it for sure

then again i do have an air fuel gauge laying around too ....

Night Wolf
01-18-05, 02:06 AM
about the alternator....

I think the one on the Olds is going...

when the enigne idles, someitme sit is a little more rough then normal, but the backlight on the cd player will kinda dim witht he RPM... at night the headlights dim when the enigne is idling but when I hit the gas, they get brighter... same thing with the blower motor and wipers.. they all slow down when the enigne is idling....

the charge light hasn't came on yet though....

Would this be the alternator going? I don't think the idle RPM of the enigne is bad. no codes are being set... but at idling, it is as if the electrical system is being taxed...

the car is 16 years old... almost 127k miles.. the alternaotr is 105amps... I have a Pioneer cd player and a radar detector.. it isn't like I am overloading the system or anything....

battery is Auto Zone brand.. and was brand new when I bought the car December '03.... 10k miles ago.. I don't think it is a battery issue though (starts up fine even after sitting etc...

davesdeville
01-18-05, 02:33 AM
Possibly alternator or if it's not built in could be the voltage regulator.

Adam
01-18-05, 10:14 AM
oh, whew :o . i thought i was gonna have to grab a gun and go down to Tampa;) . i thought you put some 5 foot wing on it and a body kit or something. :cookoo:

evilrussian
01-18-05, 10:50 AM
oh, whew :o . i thought i was gonna have to grab a gun and go down to Tampa;) . i thought you put some 5 foot wing on it and a body kit or something. :cookoo:
Or, installed a single windshield wiper, painted yellow...

Stoneage_Caddy
01-18-05, 12:52 PM
nightwolf , ensure the battery is "ok " the battery acts like a regualator and capcitor while the engine is running . It is what will take sudden loads like the a/c compressor and such ...Being as cold out as it is up there isnt helping either , the colder the weather the less efficent the battery ....Many times ive solved the same issue you have by euther cleaning the contacts ont he battery or getting a new battery in it .

with a multi meter check the alternator or positive terminal of the battery , 12 volts is a warning but 13.5 is where you need to be...bring the engine rpm up as you check it too , it should be around 13 at idle , 13.5-14 at a higher rpm ...you also need to check amps ....still working on figureing a way to do it that is as accurate as doing with the big bucks alternator tester i used to have

also do a good ground check , living in that nasty salt coated area probabaly has corroded your grounds ...