: Coolant Reservoir Outlet Hose....Goes to whare?????

CHIPSTER68
05-22-13, 11:54 PM
I have searched here, LS1Tech, and my Helms books but have not found the answer to my question. I am using an '05 CTS-V pullout in my 68 Camaro and I do not know where to tie in the tank output hose. The Helms book only talks about the other two model engines and it states that this hose goes into the heater tube.

Can anyone with an 05 CTS-V please tell me how their hoses are connected. Also, I would like to know the capacity of the reservoir.

Thanks,
Dan

darkman
05-23-13, 08:35 AM
The surge tank outlet hose runs to a T-connection with the heater input hose which runs from the water pump to the heater core. The heater input hose, which as already mentioned runs from the water pump to the heater core, originates as two hoses at the water pump, but merges into a single line before the T-connection for the coolant tank. The capacity of the surge tank is unlisted.

AAIIIC
05-23-13, 10:29 AM
You may already know this, Dan, but the CTS-V's cooling system is different than other (older) cars that I've dealt with. On both my Subaru and my Mustang, the cooling system has the cap on the radiator, and when the cap lifts the coolant expands into an overflow reservoir that is vented to atmosphere. When the coolant cools, the system sucks the coolant back out of the overflow reservoir to keep the radiator full.

On the CTS-V, the cap is on the surge tank, so it obviously is not vented to atmosphere. I would guess (just based on visual estimation) that the surge tank is ~1/2gal capacity.

CHIPSTER68
05-24-13, 05:00 AM
The surge tank outlet hose runs to a T-connection with the heater input hose which runs from the water pump to the heater core. The heater input hose, which as already mentioned runs from the water pump to the heater core, originates as two hoses at the water pump, but merges into a single line before the T-connection for the coolant tank. The capacity of the surge tank is unlisted.

Is there not a heater output hose as well leading back from the heater core to the water pump? Seems weird to have both lines from the water pump merge together...shouldn't one be in and one be out of the water pump. Thanks for checking it out for me. What you stated as the T-connection sounds like what I was expecting, but tell me if this idea makes sense to you?
Move the T-fitting to the bottom of my expansion tank (aftermarket Canton Racing Part # 80-200)
Lead the heater core output hose to one side of the T
Lead a second hose from the other side of the T all the way back to the water pump

This would essentially keep the original operation, but just move it in the system. As long as the tank is mounted high enough, this should allow for hot coolant to rise into the expansion tank when necessary.

darkman
05-24-13, 08:03 AM
Is there not a heater output hose as well leading back from the heater core to the water pump? Seems weird to have both lines from the water pump merge together...shouldn't one be in and one be out of the water pump. Thanks for checking it out for me. What you stated as the T-connection sounds like what I was expecting, but tell me if this idea makes sense to you?
Move the T-fitting to the bottom of my expansion tank (aftermarket Canton Racing Part # 80-200)
Lead the heater core output hose to one side of the T
Lead a second hose from the other side of the T all the way back to the water pump

This would essentially keep the original operation, but just move it in the system. As long as the tank is mounted high enough, this should allow for hot coolant to rise into the expansion tank when necessary.

Correction: What I thought to be a Y-shaped metal tubing manifold is actually an H-shaped metal tubing manifold. The middle of the H is bracing, so the two lines do not merge. Both lines continue, therefore to the firewall (heater presumably). As originally reported the expansion tank outlet tees into one line using a metal tubing manifold at the firewall.