Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Question changing serpentine belt

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  firstimecaddi 
#1 ·
I am about to change both belts on the 95 FWB. I am not sure what is going on down there, looks like some of the coolant hoses are in the way and will have to be removed. Can anyone offer any guidance to help complete this task?

#6 ·
I don't know about the the mechanical fan belt since I have an electric fan on my 94.. but changing the main serpentine belt is a snap - I've gotten mine off in 30 seconds, and installed in about a minute. While it looks like the coolant hoses are in the way, they're not. In case there's something different going on with yours (i.e. - someone replaced the hoses through the belt), post up a pic and we'll know for sure.

#8 ·
OK, so I was able to put some time into this little project. I was able to get the fan belt off without incident. The accessory belt though, was an issue. There is something in the way, the support braces for this coolant pipe/hose leading from the lower right radiator tank to the thermostat. Now I was able to get the upper brace loose, and get the belt past it but not the lower one. The bolts are near the ac compressor, which is a really tight fit, and with the light fading and some frustration I threw in. Will give another go tomorrow.

Also, I noticed a crack in the backing of the accessory belt. It was about 2 in long and about 1/4 inch in from the edge, surely on its way out. The thing is though, my original intention was just to replace the oil cooler hose; which I have done. while doing that, it came to me that in the five years that I have owned this car the belts have not been changed. It is a good thing that the decision to replace was made, that could have been a major inconvenience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.