: Horns!!

cdcoston
05-22-13, 06:20 PM
I have been noticing something missing since I bought our CTS Coupe a month ago.

HORN SOUND! What happened to the 70's deep, bellow that we remember?
We need to call Caddy on mat with thos.

MrHolland
05-22-13, 06:58 PM
My 96 Fleetwood has it!!!!

cadillac kevin
05-22-13, 07:13 PM
My 86 fleetwood brougham has that

You could always pick up a set off an old caddy at the junkyard and bolt them on.

AElayyat
05-22-13, 07:26 PM
Yup, the newer Caddys don't sound the same.

Ranger
05-22-13, 08:51 PM
The older cars used a 4 note trumpet horn system. Can't speak for the CTS's , but on the Deville, GM cheaped out and only used 2 notes from 2000 on. I had to get the two missing notes from a pre-2000 and install them to make it sound like a Cadillac again.

AElayyat
05-23-13, 02:12 PM
The older cars used a 4 note trumpet horn system. Can't speak for the CTS's , but on the Deville, GM cheaped out and only used 2 notes from 2000 on. I had to get the two missing notes from a pre-2000 and install them to make it sound like a Cadillac again.

Now I know why my 05 deville almost sounds like the old caddys...I didn't know they only use 2 notes...

Stingroo
05-23-13, 02:38 PM
Yep. The notes used on the trumpet horns are A, C, D, and F. I believe the standard horns only have C and F. They are stamped into the horns themselves, so you can take a look and find your missing ones in a yard.

cadillac kevin
05-23-13, 02:47 PM
And if you have the horns with 2 wires, you can either splice into both wires with the newer style horns or just use the + wire and ground it to the body with the old style horns.

AElayyat
05-23-13, 03:02 PM
Thanks sting & Kevin for the heads up. I'll take a look next time I'm @ pickapart & get the other 2 notes.

The-Dullahan
05-23-13, 03:54 PM
My Cadillac does that. And she has seven extra horns, just in case.

I think part of the reason why the horns sound different is the obvious difference in the cars themselves.

Modern Cadillacs are small and unimposing. Their ancestors were large and stately. The horns were meant to reflect this.

orconn
05-23-13, 04:25 PM
^^^ I think the real reason is the Cadillac has "cheaped" out on a lot of the components that go into their cars. I.E. the horns and the motorized trunk pull down which was a standard accessory on Sevilles until Fifth generation. I really don't miss the "trunk pull down" but I do miss the unique sound of the 4 note Cadillac horn.

The-Dullahan
05-23-13, 08:30 PM
Doesn't matter who thinks it or agrees with it or if they admit to it, deny it or merely disbelieve it.

Fact are facts.

Ranger
05-23-13, 09:08 PM
Yep. The notes used on the trumpet horns are A, C, D, and F. I believe the standard horns only have C and F. They are stamped into the horns themselves, so you can take a look and find your missing ones in a yard.
The horns in the 2000+ are listed as "High" and "Low" per the '03 FSM. I took that to mean A and F notes. I added the C & D.

Stingroo
05-23-13, 09:11 PM
Huh. That's interesting.

Aztec ETC ECS
05-23-13, 09:24 PM
After looking at the thread title all day, I'm now wondering why I clicked on it.

CadillacLuke24
05-23-13, 09:44 PM
My 1996 DeVille has all 4. Has the classic train-like Cadillac sound :cloud9:

The-Dullahan
05-24-13, 12:13 PM
"Train" sound, you say?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1G1Y15D3BE8

Honestly, given the camera's poor ability to pick either noise up, I like the sound of the car's door shutting more.

MoistCabbage
05-24-13, 01:33 PM
.....Those boots.

Ranger
05-24-13, 09:40 PM
Speaking of horns, I have never heard any louder than Gizmo's. They can wake the dead and put a diesel locomotive to shame.

The-Dullahan
05-24-13, 11:24 PM
Mine do that. That's why I lead all the Zombie Walks and parades. This is in fact what I did today.

CadillacLuke24
05-25-13, 12:18 AM
Speaking of horns, I have never heard any louder than Gizmo's. They can wake the dead and put a diesel locomotive to shame.

Does anybody have a video?

Ranger
05-25-13, 11:36 AM
Gizmo might, but I doubt that a video could do them justice. The compressor is in the trunk.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imagehosting/1310746db7d9aef5f2.jpg

CadillacLuke24
05-25-13, 06:37 PM
Gizmo might, but I doubt that a video could do them justice. The compressor is in the trunk.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/imagehosting/1310746db7d9aef5f2.jpg

HOLY CRAP! I knew he had 8, but crap, if he has a compressor in the trunk, they DEFINITELY have some power :D

Hoosier Daddy
05-25-13, 07:26 PM
HOLY CRAP! I knew he had 8, but crap, if he has a compressor in the trunk, they DEFINITELY have some power :D
Must be hard to keep it aligned. Every time he blows them he makes a new pot hole and drives thru it.

The-Dullahan
05-25-13, 11:58 PM
Pretty sure I have that beat. I only have five, but they are not nearly so...so...tiny. That appears to be two four-barrel horns. Not eight horns.

That and I have two compressors, feeding ten gallons of air at 350 PSI to power them, which I do not think that Gozmo's little solenoid could even stand up to. Mine also have separate lines to power them, that appears to be one line, split into two and each solenoid feeds four horns, essentially making it not eight horns, but two four-barrel horns.

Not a competition. I am just obnoxious bastard who refuses to abide by general traffic laws. Same reason I choose to drive a Cadillac with emergency lamps and a siren. I do not possess the time to wait on slow drivers. Maybe when I retire, I will.

The only part he has that I don't is one of those silly "trunk" things. Those things creep me out on Cadillacs.

CadillacLuke24
05-26-13, 01:37 AM
Pretty sure I have that beat. I only have five, but they are not nearly so...so...tiny. That appears to be two four-barrel horns. Not eight horns.

That and I have two compressors, feeding ten gallons of air at 350 PSI to power them, which I do not think that Gozmo's little solenoid could even stand up to. Mine also have separate lines to power them, that appears to be one line, split into two and each solenoid feeds four horns, essentially making it not eight horns, but two four-barrel horns.

Not a competition. I am just obnoxious bastard who refuses to abide by general traffic laws. Same reason I choose to drive a Cadillac with emergency lamps and a siren. I do not possess the time to wait on slow drivers. Maybe when I retire, I will.

The only part he has that I don't is one of those silly "trunk" things. Those things creep me out on Cadillacs.

That so?

Rolex
05-26-13, 11:12 AM
One can never have too many horns. I like the Grover 1510 stuttertone horns....standard issue on new fire trucks. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gubPviSUToo

The-Dullahan
05-26-13, 11:37 AM
That so?

'Tis.

CadillacLuke24
05-27-13, 10:25 PM
One can never have too many horns. I like the Grover 1510 stuttertone horns....standard issue on new fire trucks. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gubPviSUToo

Your truck?

Aztec ETC ECS
05-28-13, 03:15 PM
Need one of these:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8195552477_b04a2d93fe_n.jpg

With one of these:

http://www.campsafetyinc.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/whelen295slsa1.gif
More believable than a Cadi.

Most of the time, lights & siren are not even necessary.

The-Dullahan
05-28-13, 06:49 PM
More believable? I don't know about you, but I definitely believe in Cadillacs. I own one. They exist.

Also, I would not be caught dead in one of those Dodge things. So petty and small and weak. As a fullsize Adult, I cannot promote their existence. And they make for ugly Hearses. Trust me, I have seen things. Horrible things.

Seriously though, I imagine you mean "believable" because at least police (in poor counties) drive Dodge Chargers. That's great, but I am not trying to be a police officer or make any effort to lead people to believe I am. If I were, I'd drive that Marauder a little more often than the Cadillac, no?

My Cadillac has a siren and wig-wag unit for the headlamps, yes. Not because I am tryin to pretend it is a police car, but because it is a Hearse. Hearses...yeah, they tend to have these sort of things. At least where I am from. In the south, putting spinning WOLO lights on the roof seems more common. Also, while in the northeast we use violet lamps for Hearses, the Southerners use orange.

Besides that, I have been known to regularly drive interceptors. I drove one for about a week just a month ago, as it was on loan (along with two F150's) in return for someone borrowing my truck. Likewise, my adoptive sister Cassandra drives a '72 Torino interceptor, which I have been known to borrow on many occasions. Those apparently existed. Never heard of them before I met her.

Again, if I wanted to pretend to be a cop, my Cadillac may not fit the part, the Marauder fits the bill. Honestly considering purchasing one and completely ruining the collectibility by adding a pushbar, spotlamp on the A pillar and a lightbar across the roof. Not to imitate a police officer, mind you, but for other purposed I have come up with.

Funny story though. I do have a friend who has a Cadillac Brougham of the same body style as my Hearse (of course, that one is a four door, not a Hearse) and it was originally a Police vehicle, prior to auction, a year after it was built.

Aztec ETC ECS
05-28-13, 08:54 PM
^Pardone.

I would not be caught dead in one of those Dodge things.
That's a good one! :histeric:

The-Dullahan
05-28-13, 09:14 PM
Seriously. Those and the 300...they make terrible Hearses

Aztec ETC ECS
05-28-13, 09:29 PM
I hear ya. I wouldn't have anything but a Cadi drop me off at my final resting place. I'll put that in my will.

----------

And I have seen the wig wags & strobes but not the siren.
I really don't see the need, the passenger is in no hurry.

----------

Also, if you've driven in NYC for 30 years. You'd probably get one of these:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_AYaFFddDnhA/SicOPNJH42I/AAAAAAAAADM/Q1y4kzh8h10/s400/swat-armored-cars.jpg

That's my next.

The-Dullahan
05-28-13, 10:05 PM
I am familiar with NYC. Almost bought an armoured car once. Drive a Deuce and a Half when I am in Nevada actually.

The siren is a throwback from the combo days. After the nineties, Ambulances and Hearses were officially split. Prior to that, they were dual purpose. Some of the pre-93 Broughams and those first FWD DeVilles still have jump seats in the back.

CadillacLuke24
05-29-13, 08:34 PM
Need one of these:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8339/8195552477_b04a2d93fe_n.jpg

With one of these:

http://www.campsafetyinc.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/whelen295slsa1.gif
More believable than a Cadi.

Most of the time, lights & siren are not even necessary.

Get me one while you're at it. Those new Chargers are SICK.

The-Dullahan
05-30-13, 12:38 AM
Indeed. They should be quarantined immediately. Uch.

Rolex
05-30-13, 10:32 PM
Your truck?

Yessiree. My video.

CadillacLuke24
05-31-13, 05:54 PM
Yessiree. My video.

I APPROVE!

:thumbsup:

GizmoQ
06-02-13, 06:14 PM

The name is GIZMO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Get it right or don't use it!!!!!

You're right this is not a contest. I run an 8 gal tank with 230PSI because I wanted to cutoff the sound at 134dB (138dB is pain level for most human beings). I'm not trying to injure anyone, just get the slow traffic in front of me out of the way quickly and safely. The setup matters not, I have all 8 trumpets/baffles tuned to each note of the scale and total sound output between 130-138dB. My 5/8" line is rated at 475PSI to 240*, my 1/2" in lines are rated at 280psi to 180*. My solenoids are custom Siege Engineering valves rated at 300PSI, 10ms throw. The system has been installed for just under 10 years and as loud today as the day it was mounted.

Anybody can throw massive pressure through a trumpet for a few seconds (although I know of no baffles rated above 300psi). Baffles and tuning make the difference.

----------

Does anybody have a video?

Because its a full octave, everytime I've done video of the horns, they overpower the mic.

----------

Must be hard to keep it aligned. Every time he blows them he makes a new pot hole and drives thru it.

It did blow out the lower panels until I had them screwed on instead of the stupid push pins. They now have a permanent bow in them where the trumpets are.

The-Dullahan
06-03-13, 01:42 AM
Sorry Master! I totally meant Gizmo.

Again, I concur, there is no contest here. Your setup is great. The difference is...I AM trying to hurt people.

My system is made of extensively modified parts. The air pressure is tuned down from the 300PSI held in the tanks, as to allow for more extended use of the horns. The horns themselves can sound seemingly forever, rather than the few seconds many people seem to presume. Likewise, the largest of these horns (which came off of an antiquated train) is definitely functional at a full 300 PSI and possibly far over (I have never tested it higher)

I spent a good deal of time designing my system and the precise sound I wanted it to make. I eventually got it just right (Ironically, both compressors are disconnected right this moment, so it is only a CLICKING noise, when fired from the solenoids all activating)

None of my system was designed for automotive use however. The horns themselves came from various sources (some are even vehicles) but never meant for roadway vehicles. The Solenoids and steel hoses came from suppliers I do business with who make a variety of solenoids, pistons and other parts, which are used in everything from industrial application to haunted house props.

CadillacLuke24
06-04-13, 05:49 PM
Because its a full octave, everytime I've done video of the horns, they overpower the mic.

I GOTTA hear these in person!!

Hoosier Daddy
06-04-13, 06:17 PM
I GOTTA hear these in person!!
I understand you can only do that once.

The-Dullahan
06-04-13, 06:36 PM
Same here. The microphones on most cameras and phones greatly displeases me. I tried to make a video for some friends a while back while INSIDE my car. There was no sound, as the bass simply drowned everything out and yet the camera's microphone registered essentially no noise for the entire video. It was fun to watch though, because the mirrors and dashcam and everything were violently vibrating.

Had the same issue attempting videos of the engines of both my Pontiac and Lincoln running. They both were at least audible, but were horribly distorted.

brandondeleo
06-04-13, 07:02 PM
Before I junked my DeVille I yanked out all 4 horns and wired them into my Chrysler. They're fun.

Ranger
06-04-13, 08:37 PM
I understand you can only do that once.
:yup: