: AC switched to HEAT while driving. PLEASE HELP

OneLuv1979
05-22-13, 03:47 PM
I am in South Florida and its starting to get real hot outside.
I have owned my 2004 escalade for all of maybe 2 weeks.

I was on the interstate today driving and all of a sudden my cold air switched to HEAT.I did everything trying to get the cool air back adjusting controls with no luck it just continued to blow hot heated air.

30 miles later when I got off I95 I shut the car off and restarted it and bam AC is blowing ice cold again.... Can someone please tell me what the heck I need to do to repair this. Bummed to be already dropping cash on it , I spent everything I had buying it.

the cadillac man
05-22-13, 03:55 PM
I am in South Florida and its starting to get real hot outside.
I have owned my 2004 escalade for all of maybe 2 weeks.

I was on the interstate today driving and all of a sudden my cold air switched to HEAT.I did everything trying to get the cool air back adjusting controls with no luck it just continued to blow hot heated air.

30 miles later when I got off I95 I shut the car off and restarted it and bam AC is blowing ice cold again.... Can someone please tell me what the heck I need to do to repair this. Bummed to be already dropping cash on it , I spent everything I had buying it.

It's the driver side temp door actuator
Remove the kick panel on the passenger side to access it
I removed mine and took it apart and cleaned the contacts inside and it hasn't done it again

OneLuv1979
05-22-13, 05:30 PM
OK Thanks for the quick reply what does this thing look like and where is it located under there?
I don't mind buying a new one if needed... Just cant have this continue.

Is there any tricks to remove it?

the cadillac man
05-22-13, 10:47 PM
OK Thanks for the quick reply what does this thing look like and where is it located under there?
I don't mind buying a new one if needed... Just cant have this continue.

Is there any tricks to remove it?

It will be right above the right of the tranny hump(it is black with a wiring harness plugged into it)
I am going to warn you NOT to have the key on with it unmounted as it can be damaged quick
There is no tricks to remove it just two screws hold it in place
Use a ratchet with a 7mm socket(not sure its been so long since I had mine out) to remove the screws and the kick panel pulls out
FYI there are three screws(one above the tranny hump which is a tight area) that hold the kick panel in place

OneLuv1979
05-23-13, 08:29 AM
Thanks I'm going to wait until it does it again and make sure the passenger and rear ac still work.
Sounds like a fairly easy repair. Any clue how much a actuator cost?

the cadillac man
05-23-13, 12:20 PM
Thanks I'm going to wait until it does it again and make sure the passenger and rear ac still work.
Sounds like a fairly easy repair. Any clue how much a actuator cost?

140 bucks
But the rear air is controlled separately from the front

OneLuv1979
05-24-13, 09:50 AM
I found this on a google search.... Its saying that the passenger actuator is under the kick panel..
Now im confused.... Is it under the kick panel for sure?

I drove the lade last night around midnight and I could hear something clicking making noise exactly where u say the actuator is located...

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15787

the cadillac man
05-24-13, 01:12 PM
I found this on a google search.... Its saying that the passenger actuator is under the kick panel..
Now im confused.... Is it under the kick panel for sure?

I drove the lade last night around midnight and I could hear something clicking making noise exactly where u say the actuator is located...

http://tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15787

Where ever you seen that is wrong as I watched the actuator move as I worked the driver temp control the clicking noise is it (mine would sounds like someone knocking on a door) I also have the gm service manual and it shows it there

The passenger side temp door actuator is on the top of the hvac housing along with the recycle air and vent door actuators(you would have to remove the top of the dash to get to those)

OneLuv1979
05-24-13, 08:54 PM
Cool thanks.. Any chance you have a part number?

I plan on doing it as soon as I pin point that it is only the drivers side.
Thanks a lot I truly appreciate the help.

the cadillac man
05-24-13, 09:45 PM
Cool thanks.. Any chance you have a part number?

I plan on doing it as soon as I pin point that it is only the drivers side.
Thanks a lot I truly appreciate the help.

You can call a dealer and get it as they can get by the vin on the truck

OneLuv1979
05-27-13, 07:18 PM
Really I will have to give them a shout tomorrow and figure it out...
Thanks!

the cadillac man
05-27-13, 07:57 PM
Really I will have to give them a shout tomorrow and figure it out...
Thanks!

Yep I did that before on certain parts

jnrsesv
06-01-13, 10:19 AM
Well fellows ours started the "knocking on a door" noise a week ago but continued to blow cold AC air (drivers side) until this past Tuesday, when the AC turned to heat (drivers side only), passenger side remained cold AC air.

I removed the passenger side kick panel, the last 7mm screw is truly a PIA especially putting it back in! As Cadillac man stated the module that controls the drivers vents is located right above the trans tunnel. I used a 7/32" rather than the 5.5mm to remove the module. Again 1 of the screws are a PIA but not as bad as the kick panel.

I removed the module and pried it open. The contacts were clean as was everything else. I applied white lithium grease to the gears snapped the module back together and reinstalled. I haven't heard the "door knocking" nor had the drivers side AC switch to heat since.

Crossing my fingers that its another "free fix". I will update if the module fails.

sprink60
06-01-13, 11:55 AM
Well fellows ours started the "knocking on a door" noise a week ago but continued to blow cold AC air (drivers side) until this past Tuesday, when the AC turned to heat (drivers side only), passenger side remained cold AC air.

I removed the passenger side kick panel, the last 7mm screw is truly a PIA especially putting it back in! As Cadillac man stated the module that controls the drivers vents is located right above the trans tunnel. I used a 7/32" rather than the 5.5mm to remove the module. Again 1 of the screws are a PIA but not as bad as the kick panel.

I removed the module and pried it open. The contacts were clean as was everything else. I applied white lithium grease to the gears snapped the module back together and reinstalled. I haven't heard the "door knocking" nor had the drivers side AC switch to heat since.

Crossing my fingers that its another "free fix". I will update if the module fails.

So let me make sure where this thing is...the kick panel is in front of the door. If the module is above the transmissin hump why remove the kick panel?

OneLuv...the best deal i have found on parts is Number 1 GM Parts on E Bay. They are actually Roger dean Chevrolet in West Palm on Okeechobee. They will honor the E Bay price at the parts counter...BIG discount.

65kaiser
06-01-13, 02:14 PM
Mine just started doing this as well. I did some checking and the panel you have to remove is below the dash on the passenger side, Kind of like if you were sitting in the passenger seat and lifted your feet your toes would touch it. Not the traditional kick panel just forward of the door.
I found this helpful. http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2011/08/2005-cadillac-escalade-drivers-side.html

the cadillac man
06-01-13, 02:58 PM
So let me make sure where this thing is...the kick panel is in front of the door. If the module is above the transmissin hump why remove the kick panel?

OneLuv...the best deal i have found on parts is Number 1 GM Parts on E Bay. They are actually Roger dean Chevrolet in West Palm on Okeechobee. They will honor the E Bay price at the parts counter...BIG discount.

The kick panel I am talking about is black and is on the bottom of the dash beneath the glove box
The one in front of the door is also called a kick panel also but it is shale(on my truck it is)

sprink60
06-01-13, 07:21 PM
OK..that is the same shroud that is removed to gain access to the front A/C Blower Motor resistor.

the cadillac man
06-01-13, 09:25 PM
OK..that is the same shroud that is removed to gain access to the front A/C Blower Motor resistor.

Yep that the right one

jnrsesv
06-01-13, 10:42 PM
The sparkys link (post #15) shows and explains just about everything in this thread.

wetneck
06-14-13, 09:57 PM
my ext just did this tonight.... both sides ..all hot.... then after dinner back to normal
i heard no clicking
should i prepare to dig this out as well ?

the cadillac man
06-15-13, 01:07 AM
my ext just did this tonight.... both sides ..all hot.... then after dinner back to normal
i heard no clicking
should i prepare to dig this out as well ?

I would suspect the in car temp sensor just above the driver seat but before you rip out the headliner get the codes pulled at a gm dealer(yes the hvac system stores codes)

wetneck
06-15-13, 07:35 PM
Can they be pulled with an obx ?

the cadillac man
06-15-13, 11:41 PM
Can they be pulled with an obx ?

You can pull the hvac codes with a standard code reader that requires the tech-2 at the gm dealer

OneLuv1979
07-19-13, 12:45 AM
I need to get it done soon .... I was reading a write up I found and it said they need to be re-calibrated.
Im going on a 2000+ mile trip in 5 weeks. It has done it 4 times in the last 3 months. I would hate for it to take a dump on the road. Anyone know about calibrating them?

the cadillac man
07-19-13, 03:15 AM
I need to get it done soon .... I was reading a write up I found and it said they need to be re-calibrated.
Im going on a 2000+ mile trip in 5 weeks. It has done it 4 times in the last 3 months. I would hate for it to take a dump on the road. Anyone know about calibrating them?

Remove the hvac fuse for a minute or two
Then put it back in and turn the key to run(engine off)then turn off then start the truck
The system should start on defrost then go to the floor and end up at the dash(depending on the outside temp and the hvac temp settings)

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-19-13, 11:51 AM

Hello OneLuv1979,

I see this has been an active thread and that the cadillac man has helped answer your question. I wouldn't want you to experience any vehicle trouble while on your trip! If you would like to further discuss any concern or have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to me via private message!

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Care