: TRIFECTA TUNE review

donavo
05-22-13, 02:19 PM
i recieved my tune and cable and im pretty much ready to tune. so when i do, i will write a review in this thread. but in the meantime, id like to ask some questions and get some answers. first off, if you already installed your tune, please post any first impressions, tips, problems, issues uve run into on here.

how closely do you think this tune needs to be monitored to avoid damage? it looks like the power increase is in a pretty safe range. and what exactly is knock retard? is it the system taking action to avoid knock?

how much difference in sound, feel, acceleration do you feel with the tune? can you do a 0-60 comparison of stock vs tune?

basically if possible write your own extended review of the tune. either here or on your own thread. it would be helpful for people who are concidering the tune and it would definitely be helpful to me before i tune so i know what im gonna get.

also if BNR could answer this, did everyone just get a generic tune for 91 octane? thats the best fuel i can get where i live.

BLitzkrieg
05-22-13, 09:24 PM
I installed the Trifecta tune on my 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T RWD AT. I have a cold air intake that I built and am prototyping. There were noticeable gains with this intake on the stock vehicle. The weather here is about 86*F and humid.
After installing the tune I have to admit that it wasn’t really noticeable at first. As I kept driving and the temps got cooler, it became more noticeable. Below are the results I put together from my datalogs using the Rev App on my iPhone. I used this app because I wanted accelerometer info along with OBDII PIDs. I have the tune setup so that the stock tune resides in the "Touring" setting and the Trifecta tune resides in the "Sport" setting. I used this setting to designate which tune is which in the datalogs below. The datalogs are a 3rd gear pull from 2500 RPMs. Traction control was turned off for these pulls and both runs were done on the same stretch of road. As for the graphs, pay no attention to the horizontal numbers. They only refer to the numerical datalog polling rate, meaning information was recorded 73 times throughout the datalog. The vertical numbers are the ones to pay attention to.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/agennello/TrifectaTunewithCAI_zpsbfbc0d62.png (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/agennello/media/TrifectaTunewithCAI_zpsbfbc0d62.png.html)

Oh I know the very next question is going to be about the CAI picture so here is a pic of a proof of concept CAI. The final unit will be 6 layer silicone with CNC aluminum MAF housing and velocity stack.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/agennello/ProtoIntake_zps58849ac9.jpg (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/agennello/media/ProtoIntake_zps58849ac9.jpg.html)

YoshiFD3S
05-22-13, 09:57 PM
Cool stuff!

Those graphs look great, but the numbers are a bit hard to understand.

What are you doing about that one stainless braided line that comes off the motor and is just chillin' there, now?

I'm hoping my shop will take my ATS in soon and fabricate some goodies like an intake, FMIC w/ BOV, and exhaust.

If they do, I'm gonna see if they'll sign up as vendors on the site so they can offer the parts to everybody.

Really cool stuff, though! I look forward to more reviews and dyno's from other owners!

:D

BLitzkrieg
05-22-13, 10:02 PM
Cool stuff!

Those graphs look great, but the numbers are a bit hard to understand.

What are you doing about that one stainless braided line that comes off the motor and is just chillin' there, now?

I'm hoping my shop will take my ATS in soon and fabricate some goodies like an intake, FMIC w/ BOV, and exhaust.

If they do, I'm gonna see if they'll sign up as vendors on the site so they can offer the parts to everybody.

Really cool stuff, though! I look forward to more reviews and dyno's from other owners!

:D

I was still building the intake when I took this picture. The PCV was tied into the intake. As for the graphs, pay no attention to the horizontal numbers. They only refer to the numerical datalog polling rate, meaning information was recorded 73 times throughout the datalog. The vertical numbers are the ones to pay attention to.

gfxbt
05-23-13, 09:11 AM
Blitzkrieg - I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. The data looks great. A couple sets of questions:

1) You say you are using the Rev App - It looks pretty cool. Does it seem to be accurate to you? Are you communicating with the car via a Bluetooth dongle? Overall, how happy are you with it?

2) Based on your graphs, your car accelerated harder with the tune (~.35g v. .3g), maintained higher boost pressure through the rev range (~consistent 22 v. peak 21 and not sustained), and horsepower was greater. BUT, vehicle speed was slower with the tune. Now I understand each of these was done separately (i.e., there were two runs), I just don't understand why the car was slower. I assume that the x-axis essentially denotes time (e.g., it takes a measurement every .2 seconds) and that timing is consistent (i.e., same interval between both runs). Maybe you just weren't getting on it as hard for the tuned run?

BLitzkrieg
05-23-13, 09:40 AM
Blitzkrieg - I really appreciate you taking the time to do this. The data looks great. A couple sets of questions:

1) You say you are using the Rev App - It looks pretty cool. Does it seem to be accurate to you? Are you communicating with the car via a Bluetooth dongle? Overall, how happy are you with it?

2) Based on your graphs, your car accelerated harder with the tune (~.35g v. .3g), maintained higher boost pressure through the rev range (~consistent 22 v. peak 21 and not sustained), and horsepower was greater. BUT, vehicle speed was slower with the tune. Now I understand each of these was done separately (i.e., there were two runs), I just don't understand why the car was slower. I assume that the x-axis essentially denotes time (e.g., it takes a measurement every .2 seconds) and that timing is consistent (i.e., same interval between both runs). Maybe you just weren't getting on it as hard for the tuned run?

There was a total of 2 runs which were datalogged. All of these data points were logged at the same time for each run. I have an iPhone so I use the Kiwi WiFi and not the BT. The info I get is pretty good but there are issues if you are attempting to gather consistent data. One such issue is consistent polling rates. I'd prefer to have a poll every 1/10 of a second but it is hit or miss. I emailed the info from the app to myself in a .CSV format. From there I had to match up the information based on RPM and/or timestamp in Excel, so there is some work involved to put this info together. It is not perfect and not preferable. I would rather have a dedicated OBDII appliance with a built in accelerometer and GPS that has quicker and dedicated processing (something I may be investing in soon). I even updated my HPTuners in the hope that I can get the VCM Scanner to work, but I had no luck.

UPDATE on the tune: I am not too happy with the transmission tune. It feels as though it double shifts (disengages pause engages) and the shift points are too high in the RPM. I remember when I tuned my CTS-V that I had to lower the shift points in order to avoid this similar issue. I may reflash the stock TCM tune back in the car.

gfxbt
05-23-13, 10:15 AM
I would rather have a dedicated OBDII appliance with a built in accelerometer and GPS that has quicker and dedicated processing (something I may be investing in soon). I

Thanks, that is great information. What I am gathering is that in your opinion, you would prefer to go with something like the Aeroforce gauge that Frank (I think) brought up in another thread? I would like to be able to view this data, and have it stored for later. I guess my question is, is it worth buying the app ($40) and a OBDII dongle ($30), or should I buy the gauge ($120)? It is important to me that I can review the data later, make charts, etc. (I know, it's kind of nerdy, but data is fun). Alternatively, if you have something else in mind that you think is better, I'm all ears. Thanks for the input, it is greatly appreciated.

romanats
05-23-13, 10:21 AM
i have not loaded my tune yet but that is not a good news about the TCM

sonny@bnr
05-23-13, 10:40 AM
I installed the Trifecta tune on my 2013 ATS Performance 2.0T RWD AT. I have a cold air intake that I built and am prototyping. There were noticeable gains with this intake on the stock vehicle. The weather here is about 86*F and humid.
After installing the tune I have to admit that it wasn’t really noticeable at first. As I kept driving and the temps got cooler, it became more noticeable. Below are the results I put together from my datalogs using the Rev App on my iPhone. I used this app because I wanted accelerometer info along with OBDII PIDs. I have the tune setup so that the stock tune resides in the "Touring" setting and the Trifecta tune resides in the "Sport" setting. I used this setting to designate which tune is which in the datalogs below. The datalogs are a 3rd gear pull from 2500 RPMs. Traction control was turned off for these pulls and both runs were done on the same stretch of road. As for the graphs, pay no attention to the horizontal numbers. They only refer to the numerical datalog polling rate, meaning information was recorded 73 times throughout the datalog. The vertical numbers are the ones to pay attention to.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/agennello/TrifectaTunewithCAI_zpsbfbc0d62.png (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/agennello/media/TrifectaTunewithCAI_zpsbfbc0d62.png.html)

Oh I know the very next question is going to be about the CAI picture so here is a pic of a proof of concept CAI. The final unit will be 6 layer silicone with CNC aluminum MAF housing and velocity stack.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l247/agennello/ProtoIntake_zps58849ac9.jpg (http://s98.photobucket.com/user/agennello/media/ProtoIntake_zps58849ac9.jpg.html)

after you installed the tune did you send any data logs to vince to get updates,
did you inform him there was a intake on the car. your maff readings are going to be off so you need to send data logs so we can re-adjust the tune so it works properly

BNRacing
05-23-13, 11:49 AM
If you have an issue with the TCM tune you just need to let us know and we can adjust it.

Siren05
05-23-13, 02:16 PM
There was a total of 2 runs which were datalogged. All of these data points were logged at the same time for each run. I have an iPhone so I use the Kiwi WiFi and not the BT. The info I get is pretty good but there are issues if you are attempting to gather consistent data. One such issue is consistent polling rates. I'd prefer to have a poll every 1/10 of a second but it is hit or miss. I emailed the info from the app to myself in a .CSV format. From there I had to match up the information based on RPM and/or timestamp in Excel, so there is some work involved to put this info together. It is not perfect and not preferable. I would rather have a dedicated OBDII appliance with a built in accelerometer and GPS that has quicker and dedicated processing (something I may be investing in soon). I even updated my HPTuners in the hope that I can get the VCM Scanner to work, but I had no luck.

UPDATE on the tune: I am not too happy with the transmission tune. It feels as though it double shifts (disengages pause engages) and the shift points are too high in the RPM. I remember when I tuned my CTS-V that I had to lower the shift points in order to avoid this similar issue. I may reflash the stock TCM tune back in the car.

Easy fix...

frankc5r
05-23-13, 02:26 PM
Just did a few more runs in ATS after sending log file to BNR for review.

Boost really rises fast now and scan gauge shows me delivered torque and fuel rail pressure on this run. I had tested with the stock tune and seen 260.8
ft# of torque, right on the stock GM spec. Older LNF 2.0 run on about 2000-2200 fuel pressure and I saw 3000 on this engine, again right on spec.
3rd gear run starting at about 2500 rpm saw rapid boost rise to 22 psi and 335 ft # of torque delivered, a little better than the 70 ft# increase that is
advertised. It really does pull like a rocket. Not limited to 91 here in Mi so that helps that the ecm is not retarding spark cause of knock. All I see is a
little of tipin knock just as u are entering WOT. None during the WOT.

I do not see any hesitation in trans as reported on this site but I will keep an eye out for it.

BLitzkrieg
05-23-13, 03:20 PM
If you have an issue with the TCM tune you just need to let us know and we can adjust it.
Unfortunately its pouring out now. I will run your datalog when the weather clears up. Thanks. FYI my name is Anthony Gennello.

frankc5r
05-23-13, 03:54 PM
be investing in soon). I even updated my HPTuners in the hope that I can get the VCM Scanner to work, but I had no luck.

I UPDATED MY HPT to 2.24 too but had no luck scanning too even if I bypassed box. Someone on HPT forum with ATS reported he got it to work but not me]

Hoosier Daddy
05-23-13, 07:04 PM
FYI my name is Anthony Gennello.

Reminder for Cadillac Customer Service:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARgBrXwGidM

BLitzkrieg
05-23-13, 07:30 PM

I just sent a datalog to logs@WOT-Tuning.com.

----------

Reminder for Cadillac Customer Service:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARgBrXwGidM

I have an account with my Caddy dealer as a reseller. Its pretty well known what I do.

BNRacing
05-23-13, 11:26 PM
Did you put on the order form that you had any kind of intake? I don't see it anywhere on the order form.

BLitzkrieg
05-24-13, 08:52 AM
Did you put on the order form that you had any kind of intake? I don't see it anywhere on the order form.
I just noted it on the data log I sent in.

frankc5r
05-25-13, 10:01 AM
Where are the reviews from the others in the group buy. Not installed yet??

romanats
05-25-13, 10:11 AM
not installed yet hopefully later on today

ATScape
05-25-13, 10:46 AM
Where are the reviews from the others in the group buy. Not installed yet??

I'm installing mine tomorrow morning, but with the 90 degrees plus out here I don't think it'll make much power during the day so I'll test at night

Hoosier Daddy
05-25-13, 11:21 AM
I'm installing mine tomorrow morning, but with the 90 degrees plus out here I don't think it'll make much power during the day so I'll test at night
Why not take it to Alaska for the test?

MyersBalls
05-25-13, 11:23 AM
I installed mine a couple days ago and there is a noticeable difference in acceleration. From 0 to about 70. Haven't data logged yet but will this weekend. I have 93 octane here so hopefully squeeze a bit more power out of it.

ATScape
05-25-13, 11:56 AM
Why not take it to Alaska for the test?

Lol cus then I gotta worry about hitting a bear or moose...

romanats
05-25-13, 09:47 PM
Installed tune today and man does it feel quick it chirps tires in second gear. Car is much more responsive and pulls harder just like everyone else said. I did not drive it too much but definitely noticeable difference. Also I want to say BNR support is unbelievable. Had some issue with set up, went home send an email by the time I was outside Jerry called me on a Saturday Night. Can you ask for more ?

BNRacing
05-25-13, 09:49 PM
We take care of our customers, no matter the time or day. I once called a customer back during the fireworks display at Disney world on family vacation lol.

BLitzkrieg
05-26-13, 12:42 AM
It was much cooler out today and the car really picked up. I need to get on the intercooler for this car.

YoshiFD3S
05-26-13, 01:27 AM
An upgraded FMIC, intake, and exhaust should work wonders on this car after the tune.. I'd be upwards of +50hp easily.

frankdatank
05-26-13, 08:16 AM
I've been lurking on these forums for weeks now. Tomorrow I take delivery of my new ats. I used to be a gm tech then a Bentley / Aston Martin tech now I'm a engineer. I've hand built my 600 hp four cylinder cars most of my adult life. I'm excited for this car. I want to get a intake and downpipe first. Then this tune. Most important thing about a tune is reliability and customer service and I'm sorry but from what I've read BnR is on point. Keep up the good work fellas.

ATScape
05-26-13, 09:58 AM
I've been lurking on these forums for weeks now. Tomorrow I take delivery of my new ats. I used to be a gm tech then a Bentley / Aston Martin tech now I'm a engineer. I've hand built my 600 hp four cylinder cars most of my adult life. I'm excited for this car. I want to get a intake and downpipe first. Then this tune. Most important thing about a tune is reliability and customer service and I'm sorry but from what I've read BnR is on point. Keep up the good work fellas.

Damn reading your post felt like I was reading my own life story lol. I was a mechanic for years, I've built a few 500+HP cars( 240sx, Miata and supra) a few bikes and jet skis and now I'm a mechanical engineer. Congrats on the ATS and although I have limited experience with BNR they have been solid so far.

ATScape
05-26-13, 01:24 PM
Installed the tune and it took exactly 5 min. 38 sec. Took it for a little spin here in Miami with the temp at 87 F and I must say I definitely feel a difference. Th e car feels faster and the power falls off less at the 5500rpm mark (but I still felt a dip). The revs climb quickly/smoothly and second chirps with traction control on. The car still falls slightly out of boost on the 2-3 shift but its been doing it since I got the car. I will drive it again later in the cooler temps when the snails stop passing out half way across the sidewalk and report again. Overall the car feels livelier and more fun to drive. This is how it should have come from factory.

donavo
05-26-13, 01:32 PM
Would anyone have actual numbers for improvements? I know the torque app tells you the current HP and torque while you drive. A comparison between stock and tune could show something

Siren05
05-26-13, 02:04 PM
I thought 330tq was posted vs stock already?

donavo
05-26-13, 04:04 PM
I thought 330tq was posted vs stock already?

I must have missed that. Was it posted by one of the group buy guys? Real world numbers is what I'm looking for lol.

frankc5r
05-26-13, 04:05 PM
Would anyone have actual numbers for improvements? I know the torque app tells you the current HP and torque while you drive. A comparison between stock and tune could show something

I have a gauge that read and records the data stream from the ecm. The ecm calculates torque from BOTH the maf and map readings and compares them
and sets code if they are off. The ecm has a torque learndown in the stock tune which means if u add a cat back and the ecm sees u are making more than the desired torque, it will "turnitdown" to the stock 260 ft#. These readings are quite accurate compared to good engine shop dynos run by professionals.
The Trifeca/BNR tune turns OFF the torque learn down, just like the factory GM tune did on the older LNF engines.
There is a desired torque and delivered torque pids in the ecm data stream and I took data looking at boost and delivered torque BOTH on stock tune and
our tune and got the following. Stock tune was running about 14-26 boost and 264 torque. Thus torque readout was very close to stock GM value. I hit mode
to change to tune mode and did 2nd pull in man mode 3rd gear starting at 3000 rpm and got 21-22.5 boost and 335 delivered torque. I use 93 octane
and the ecm will pull timing even without the fixes in an adjusted tune that Trifeca/BNR will do and thus I saw a 75 ft3 increase where specs for the tune are
70 ft#. 91 octane users may see less and all of us may see more or less as tune is adjusted from the logs we sent to Trifeca/BNR.

frank
retired engineer GM road racing motorsports.

PS Found a new OBDII gauge for Apple iphone, touch or ipad that works without cables and from reports is less buggy that the REV ap. Ordered one and should have in day or 2 and will report. See "DashBoss" by the same engineer that did my older Dashawk.

And yes, these are real world number, probably as accurate or more than most numbers as the data comes from real air mass numbers corrected for temp and pressure, just like a "real " engine dyno

donavo
05-26-13, 04:20 PM
That's more like it. Did you do both pulls in the same condition/gear? And got that difference?

Also, how soon do they respond to data logs and send you a new one or let you know yours is good? My email said they had too many to go through do regular log response time was over a week or something.

frankc5r
05-26-13, 04:39 PM
That's more like it. Did you do both pulls in the same condition/gear? And got that difference?

Also, how soon do they respond to data logs and send you a new one or let you know yours is good? My email said they had too many to go through do regular log response time was over a week or something.

Of course. Both were done within a minute of ea other, same level road, same gear-3rd and same starting rpm-3000. I did do other runs and I do see the torque falloff as rpm rises but have not documented that yet but will do when new gauge arrives as it allows easy plotting and emailing of runs in seconds rigt off the ipod touch I am going to use.

ATScape
05-27-13, 10:28 PM
Took the car for a second drive and did some data logging in the cooler night temps (78 deg). The car def pulls harder in the cooler temps. Also did some cruising with the tune on and off down the same stretch of flat highway and noted no difference in MPG according to the instantaneous readout. Ran two 0 to 70 runs to data log and sent it out, will report back with the response time from BNR. Did 2 more 4K launches with and without TC and got decent wheel spin in first with it off. Noticed the TC bogged the car down pretty bad.

donavo
05-27-13, 11:26 PM
that actually reminds me. i tried to do some 0-60 pulls on stock tune. i swear best i could do was 8.4 seconds. but that was uphill highway on ramp and no launch. with tc on. it was either all of those, or my inferior shifting skills, 8.4 was a little too high. i would probably get it better with an auto.

ATScape
05-28-13, 12:17 AM
Jerry got back to me within hours and gave me a summary of the data log results. Timing and Knock looked good, ECM read 316ft-lbs of TQ (56 over stock). Thats way lower than the 70+ frankC5r is getting but im stock and my intake temps are really high due to the heat down here. Excellent customer service and I'm happy with the tune. Hopefully will make some more power with cooler temps. What's everyone else getting power wise?

frankc5r
05-28-13, 08:09 AM
Jerry got back to me within hours and gave me a summary of the data log results. Timing and Knock looked good, ECM read 316ft-lbs of TQ (56 over stock). Thats way lower than the 70+ frankC5r is getting but im stock and my intake temps are really high due to the heat down here. Excellent customer service and I'm happy with the tune. Hopefully will make some more power with cooler temps. What's everyone else getting power wise?

I also got reply from Jerry about the logs I sent and I suspect you are correct that high temps are affecting your results except for 1 thing and that is octane. Are u running 93 octane?
That will make a difference. GM may say 91 but that is part marketing. Actually u could run 87 the knock sensors are so good and u stayed out of throttle.

That said Jerry is forwarding my log to Trifeca for review and he said was it was running very good and he saw a spike of 371 ft# of torque. I believe it because the front of car really
lifted up on some pulls.

ATScape
05-28-13, 08:20 AM
Yea running 93 only since I got the car. 371! Holy crap either the temps are really affecting my numbers or somethings wrong. What intake temps and boost are you guys seeing? I mean Jerry said my timing was maxed and 0 knock. But man you guys are making serious power...

frankc5r
05-28-13, 08:29 AM
Yea running 93 only since I got the car. 371! Holy crap either the temps are really affecting my numbers or somethings wrong. What intake temps and boost are you guys seeing? I mean Jerry said my timing was maxed and 0 knock. But man you guys are making serious power...

I will set my gauge to read intake temp for u. Boost maxs at 22-23 psi. Jerry said it was a spike and since autos hold boost during shifts unlike a manual unless u do a no-lift shift,
I suspect the 371 ft# is right after a shift and quicly is controlled to the normal 335 ft#. Thus u are not as far off as u think given it was about 55 deg when I took data.

roadpie4u
05-28-13, 08:47 AM
Frank-

I look forward to seeing what intake temps do over time and across multiple acceleration runs. I wonder if at the 335# mark the intercooler is past its efficiency point and is starting to heat soak.

frankc5r
05-28-13, 08:57 AM
Frank-

I look forward to seeing what intake temps do over time and across multiple acceleration runs. I wonder if at the 335# mark the intercooler is past its efficiency point and is starting to heat soak.

My new Dashboss should be here in a day or so. With that I can output data in csv form and plot the data. The Aerforce gauge will review in gauge but not output.
More later.

ATScape
05-28-13, 09:22 AM
Makes sense frank thanks for the comparison. 55* to 87+ is a huge difference. Here is the actual summary from Jerry:
"The log looks super clean, no adjustments necessary, especially since it's stock. Some points to note out, fuel trims are between 0 and 1% off, which is great. 0 degrees of knock retard, running near max timing (yay for 93 octane). You're spiking 22PSI and holding around 20. Made ECM calculated 316TQ. Air intake temps are really high- 120-130*F."
As you can see temps are sky high and Im making 20psi with spikes to 22...

Siren05
05-28-13, 10:39 AM
You wanna make some power meth injection with new intake and intercooler throw in a high flow catted
Downpipe and hello 400lbs TQ.if not more. Meth with keep those intakes temps icy cool.

BNRacing
05-28-13, 11:27 AM
Yeah the heat down here in FL kills us. My 2.0T Cobalt SS is WAY faster when it's cold out.

ATScape
05-28-13, 11:56 AM
You wanna make some power meth injection with new intake and intercooler throw in a high flow catted
Downpipe and hello 400lbs TQ.if not more. Meth with keep those intakes temps icy cool.

Lease :(

roadpie4u
05-28-13, 12:42 PM
Pfadt has a new FMIC, we'll see what happens with it. What's more is I've heard from a little birdie a larger ATS intercooler was designed by GM already - whether that's for a refresh when Camaro comes out or it gets sold as a GMPP part or whether it gets mothballed is anyone's guess.

That said, a meth spray system to spray *onto* the intercooler instead of into the intake stream is probably the better bet - spraying into the intake stream changes your stoich. Designing the thing to just trigger off a Hobbs switch is pretty easy to do as well - it wouldn't be too hard to design something like that for a straight bolt-in scenario using existing connections and mounting points.

frankc5r
05-28-13, 06:39 PM
Makes sense frank thanks for the comparison. 55* to 87+ is a huge difference. Here is the actual summary from Jerry:
"The log looks super clean, no adjustments necessary, especially since it's stock. Some points to note out, fuel trims are between 0 and 1% off, which is great. 0 degrees of knock retard, running near max timing (yay for 93 octane). You're spiking 22PSI and holding around 20. Made ECM calculated 316TQ. Air intake temps are really high- 120-130*F."
As you can see temps are sky high and Im making 20psi with spikes to 22...

Ok, I went out and set my gauge to log delivered torque and intake air temp and went and did a couple of 3rd gear wot pulls starting at about 3000. Ambient is 76 deg f and
74% humidty (just rained but not raining). I saw a torque spike of 351 ft# dropping again to 335 ft #. Temp in was quite good at 84 deg F. Before u say that is impossible, that
is quite similar to what I saw in HHR SS. Best I saw with SS was 12 deg above ambient. The relative high humidity helped too. The high temps in FL really hurts but what hurts
even more is heat soak. Drive for awhile and heat soak will go away.

ATScape
05-28-13, 06:59 PM
Thanks frank I really appreciate it. So there's about a 30-40* difference in intake temps, that explains a lot. I tried to negate heat soak by doing the log just as the car got to operating temp and heading into the wind. I ran it at night and today in the rain soaked streets and it felt stronger. I might get the gauge myself so I can see the differences but cash is a little tight. Btw is weight an input for calibrating the gauge? If so what weight did you use? Thanks again.

frankc5r
05-28-13, 07:08 PM
Thanks frank I really appreciate it. So there's about a 30-40* difference in intake temps, that explains a lot. I tried to negate heat soak by doing the log just as the car got to operating temp and heading into the wind. I ran it at night and today in the rain soaked streets and it felt stronger. I might get the gauge myself so I can see the differences but cash is a little tight. Btw is weight an input for calibrating the gauge? If so what weight did you use? Thanks again.

No, weight is not a factor in the delivered torque as it comes from airflow mass and some corrections. Rate of acceleration would change with weight. More torque and less weight
just gets you to a speed faster. Take a look at Dashboss for a cheaper solution if u have an iphone, ipod, or ipad

ATScape
05-28-13, 07:14 PM
No, weight is not a factor in the delivered torque as it comes from airflow mass and some corrections. Rate of acceleration would change with weight. More torque and less weight
just gets you to a speed faster. Take a look at Dashboss for a cheaper solution if u have an iphone, ipod, or ipad

Ok thanks just checking if it was an accelerometer based unit.

frankdatank
05-30-13, 05:06 PM
How does everyone data log? What are you using?

frankc5r
05-30-13, 08:23 PM
How does everyone data log? What are you using?

There a 2 types of datalog. The 1st is done after u get and install the tune. U use your red cable and cpu and use EZFlash to log data and send to BNR
for review. THis data we can't view cause it is encrypted and only BNR/Trifeca can view it because they designed the protocol.

The second type is done by a number of programs. Torque program with a Bluetooth adapter and Android phone is ok but not documented well in spite
of a forum. Jerry at BNR and myself ordered an Aeroforce std dash size gauge which plugs into OBDii port and will display and log data which can be reviewed
on the gauge but not exported. It works well to be able to see what is going on all the time.

Today I received a DashBoss Bluetooth OBDII adapter with works with Ipod , iphone and ipad. No wires needed. Plug adapter into port and it broadcasts to
the ipod . u can see 12 digital values at a time and record everything, up to 3hrs worth. Best yet, the file can be downloaded in csv format and plotted in excel
or other plotting programs. Just use the ipod to email to yourself. U can graph multiple things on screen.

Tried to attach a couple of pictures but no luck.

pbot
05-30-13, 10:04 PM
I was looking for a log file viewer and ran across this:
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/10-engine-technical-discussion/9238-cruze-data-log-reader-first-release-print.html

There a 2 types of datalog. The 1st is done after u get and install the tune. U use your red cable and cpu and use EZFlash to log data and send to BNR
for review. THis data we can't view cause it is encrypted and only BNR/Trifeca can view it because they designed the protocol.

The second type is done by a number of programs. Torque program with a Bluetooth adapter and Android phone is ok but not documented well in spite
of a forum. Jerry at BNR and myself ordered an Aeroforce std dash size gauge which plugs into OBDii port and will display and log data which can be reviewed
on the gauge but not exported. It works well to be able to see what is going on all the time.

Today I received a DashBoss Bluetooth OBDII adapter with works with Ipod , iphone and ipad. No wires needed. Plug adapter into port and it broadcasts to
the ipod . u can see 12 digital values at a time and record everything, up to 3hrs worth. Best yet, the file can be downloaded in csv format and plotted in excel
or other plotting programs. Just use the ipod to email to yourself. U can graph multiple things on screen.

Tried to attach a couple of pictures but no luck.

BNRacing
05-31-13, 12:39 AM
While that log viewer you posted does work to view logs, keep in mind it was not designed by Trifecta and is not affiliated in any way with Trifecta. We have already found that some of the data is wrong in that viewer, so if you do use it, please do not contact us saying something in your tune is wrong because we already know it is not accurate sometimes.

Siren05
05-31-13, 07:18 AM
So finally got my cable and flashed my tune!..

First of all BNR has top notch customer service.my cable got lost? And then found. By the the time it was
Found they had sent out a new one.

I will do a full review on the tune itself over the weekend and datalog, but she pulls or pushes much harder right to redline now. Man did I burn a lot of high test yesterday 94 octane;). And she always feels like she wants to go. Handed a maxima her ass twice last night. No contest what so ever. This punk needed some
Boosted love.probably 3 car lengths by 100kms and pulling.

romanats
05-31-13, 09:27 AM
yes the car deffinetely feels like it wants to go. I had the tune on for a week now no issues at all.

donavo
05-31-13, 09:41 AM
Beat a maxima....? That's not even worth mentioning lol. Tune or no tune, maxima shouldn't even keep up. Were all waiting for you to beat a 328i haha.
Granted, I can't wait for a full review. No one has done one yet. Like a extended detailed review of what they think of the tune. Not just dyno graphs

Siren05
05-31-13, 09:56 AM
Beat a maxima....? That's not even worth mentioning lol. Tune or no tune, maxima shouldn't even keep up. Were all waiting for you to beat a 328i haha.
Granted, I can't wait for a full review. No one has done one yet. Like a extended detailed review of what they think of the tune. Not just dyno graphs
2012 maxima clocks in at 5.7 0-60
Using the same vq37 as 370Zs
Stock vs stock maxima will hold its own.anyway.

Review to come.

gfxbt
05-31-13, 10:49 AM
Frank - Where did you buy your dashboss. It looks pretty expensive on amazon. Also, does it come with software that you load on your iDevice?

Donavo - Beat a 328?!?!? I want to beat a 335 haha

RippyPartsDept
05-31-13, 11:02 AM
DashBoss comes highly recommended by another forum member

pics and vid here: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2009-2013-cadillac-cts-v-performance/296385-newera-hot-air-intake.html#post3384857

frankc5r
05-31-13, 01:41 PM
Frank - Where did you buy your dashboss. It looks pretty expensive on amazon. Also, does it come with software that you load on your iDevice?

Donavo - Beat a 328?!?!? I want to beat a 335 haha
I bought directly from Dashboss. Google to find website. Call Ken , the
designer, at the 801. ... number. PM me for details. You can trust this device to
give accurate data, unlike some mentioned here.

frankdatank
06-02-13, 06:21 PM
What else can be done with that Cable? I'm not sure whether it's worth the money or not to buy it or rent it. Any help much appreciated.

Siren05
06-02-13, 10:31 PM
So finally got some cool temps!

I did some nice 3rd gear pulls. My ATS pulls very nice right up to redline. This tune feels right! Like it
Should have come from GM. far more responsive ... In my opinion I need 75 more RWHP & RWTQ.
This tune gives me a taste of what I want.. Crazy spool up instant response just needs more tq and hp.
I'm running 94 only and will datalog tomorrow night. Hopefully BNR/Trifecta can squeeze some more
Out for me?

I will add more to my review over the next few days.

donavo
06-03-13, 01:11 AM
How do you think this would fare against a g37?

Siren05
06-03-13, 07:43 AM
I believe on a roll my ATS would a jump a car length or 2 and hold a slow pull.

On the twisties my ATS would walk on a G37.

IMO

roadpie4u
06-03-13, 11:21 AM
We really need to get two "identical" powertrain cars and do a head-to-head tune vs untuned side by side. That'd really show the difference.

Then a tuned 4 vs v6.

donavo
06-03-13, 11:33 AM
We really need to get two "identical" powertrain cars and do a head-to-head tune vs untuned side by side. That'd really show the difference.

Then a tuned 4 vs v6.

im with this. if anyone with a tuned ats wants to race hit me up. i also have the tune but havent isntalled it so if anyone with a not tuned ats wants to have a go, im game. srtaight line only though.

romanats
06-03-13, 12:57 PM
I have a Q ? i need to bring my car in fro am oil change should i go back t stock ? or teh tune is stealth ?

Siren05
06-06-13, 08:47 AM
So I've had tune for about a week. The car is far more responsive in partial throttle, upon WOT its good
And pulls pretty good just feels like I need more boost or something?may be I'm used to it. I've decided to dyno her out of curiosity. I'll do pulls in both tour(stock tune) and sport (trifecta tune) my tuner will always
Spray meth/water mix . We'll see. It feels around 290-300 rwtq and about 270 rwhp. Lets see how close I am.

BNRacing
06-06-13, 11:26 AM
So I've had tune for about a week. The car is far more responsive in partial throttle, upon WOT its good
And pulls pretty good just feels like I need more boost or something?may be I'm used to it. I've decided to dyno her out of curiosity. I'll do pulls in both tour(stock tune) and sport (trifecta tune) my tuner will always
Spray meth/water mix . We'll see. It feels around 290-300 rwtq and about 270 rwhp. Lets see how close I am.

Do you have a water/meth kit on the car now? If you do, have we tuned for it? You can make more power than you are now if you haven't tuned for the water meth

kmb32687
06-06-13, 12:14 PM
From 20mph to 130mph, beat STI by 3 car length.

E85 with 50 degrees outside.

BUT!

When it was 85 degrees outside, STI and I were in dead even.

It's all depends on the weather. Bigger FMIC should do the trick.

romanats
06-06-13, 01:04 PM
I have a Q BMR ? i need to bring my car in for am oil change and suspension issue should i go back t stock ? or the tune is stealth ?

Siren05
06-06-13, 06:36 PM
From 20mph to 130mph, beat STI by 3 car length.

E85 with 50 degrees outside.

BUT!

When it was 85 degrees outside, STI and I were in dead even.

Wha

It's all depends on the weather. Bigger FMIC should do the trick.

What year STI.
He must be stock!
My 2011 with a flash and just a downpipe made 340 awtq and 300 awhp
Mid 4 second 0-60.

Never mind after it was built and a GTX3076 shoved in.

kmb32687
06-06-13, 08:55 PM
What year STI.
He must be stock!
My 2011 with a flash and just a downpipe made 340 awtq and 300 awhp
Mid 4 second 0-60.

Never mind after it was built and a GTX3076 shoved in.

Yes, he was on stock. 2013 WRX STI.

YoshiFD3S
06-07-13, 10:12 PM
That's hella impressive.

I imagine full-on BPU's + a tune in a 2.0T ATS should be wicked fun.

I can't wait. ^.^

frankdatank
06-08-13, 12:15 PM
If you have a manual transmission, does Sport and Tour mode make any difference? I don't even know what Sport and tour mode do prior to the tune. Lol

donavo
06-08-13, 12:31 PM
If you have a manual transmission, does Sport and Tour mode make any difference? I don't even know what Sport and tour mode do prior to the tune. Lol

I think all it does is stiffen the steering but even that is so negligible that it's a joke. "Keep your hats on guys..... I'm switching to sport mode" is almost as funny as saying it in a Prius.

donavo
07-09-13, 04:20 PM
ok so i installed the tune recently and i logged it and now that its all finalized, im ready to make a review.

using my bluetooth module with torque pro (not very accurate) i got pretty dam good results. all stock, at about 70 degree weather i got about 200 wheel HP according to tht app.
with the tune at a different time still around the same weather, i measured an amazing 270 wheel hp. which really surprised me because i didnt feel the power gain that reflects such an increase. obviously theres some accuracy issues but none-the-less it did feel pretty fast. boost was at about 22 psi with the tune vs 18 psi stock. my car is a manual so nothing to note on the transmission. when stock, i could almost never notice a turbo lag because its consistant. but with the tune thers a huge lag. not because tehres less power in the lower end, but because in the middle, power is way more. so it starts off like its stock and everything is cool, then it hits 3k rpm and ur head just gets glued on the headrest.

i did race a friend with a stock wrx+exhaust. neither of us are very experienced in manual shifting so id say i had an advantage since ive done some hard driving 0-60s before and he never had. we did 2 races, i won both but not by much. first was stock and tune midway (lol i started out stock then noticed he was catching up and turned the tune on midway. idk if it activates that fast but i ended up ahead). and the second race was all tune and i was ahead consistantly.

all in all the tune is pretty dam good in cold weather.

Siren05
07-09-13, 05:55 PM
Stock WRX is faster to 60 than stock STI. 5 speed longer gears only 1 shift

donavo
07-09-13, 06:06 PM
Stock WRX is faster to 60 than stock STI. 5 speed longer gears only 1 shift

yeah i know but we didnt stop at 60. we got to almost a 100 i think. i had to go all the way to 4th gear. both did a rolling start so there is no launching differences. mine took off alot easier probably cuz our cars have twin scroll turbos and the wrx doesnt so it took longer for it to spool up. forgot where i read that we have twin scroll turbos.

wilmo
07-10-13, 03:26 PM
What year was the WRX?

donavo
07-10-13, 04:02 PM
What year was the WRX?

2012 hatch

BLitzkrieg
07-15-13, 10:34 AM
I had a lot of issues with the transmission tune. I managed to get just the ECU tune to load without the TCM tune and the car has been much better. I'm still waiting for HP Tuners.

romanats
07-17-13, 04:22 PM
i also noticed my transmission shifts weard in sport mode with a tune especially 1 to 2 shift it kinda slips. I thought its the tranny but its fine in turing mode so its the tune.I will try reloding the tine without the tcm
update.

Siren05
07-17-13, 06:15 PM
Sounds like shift points are 2 high. Have you guys contacted BNR....?

romanats
07-17-13, 08:21 PM
I would think the other way shifts too fast

NewATSowner
12-25-13, 01:36 PM
I just purchased the 2.0L Tune yesterday but I am a little confused as to the select a tune option. I have an automatic transmission so is the Tune set to the cruise control On/Off or the Tour/Sport mode switch. How long after you ordered did you receive the Tune email and the Flash cable?

donavo
12-25-13, 07:43 PM
for auto it will b the sport mode button and not the cruise control button
when i ordered mine i think i got it in a week.

UPDATE ON THE TUNE
before i kept saying that i wasnt feeling the tune much. well the temperatures finally dropped to mid 40s. i turned all traction off, turned the tune on, straight line acceleration all in 2nd gear and as soon as the turbo came in, my back started sliding out. the power was VERY good. and these are sticky 275 tires in the back that lost grip. very satisfied even tho i almost crashed trying to regain control.

mrasmussen
12-28-13, 11:36 AM
bottom line, it is worth the 465 for the cable and the tune? I WILL notice a nice difference? As far as longevity on the car, this turn or any similar tune probably doesn't decrease life by bumping up psi or changing the timing? Of course if I beat the car to death I will lose life, I am saying same driving conditions, the life expectancy of most parts should be similar with and without the tune?

I am seriously thinking of grabbing it....

donavo
12-28-13, 02:13 PM
the best part about this tune is u can turn it off whenever ur not using it. i usually leave it off and then turn it on when i wanna drive hard. but as far as difference goes....ill still say i dont feel ALOT. unless its really cold outside

400hpATS
12-28-13, 11:00 PM
When I was looking for a tune trifecta said they could do it but since having issues they have pulled it for the turbo and no longer will issue one to me. I used vtuners and he is amazing. Check out Vermont tuners

Hoosier Daddy
12-29-13, 05:50 AM
I have the snow kit along with a lot of other mods Brian up at Vermont Tuners and without the meth/water which I just installed I was pushing 389hp with 25lbs of boost and now should be at 415hp with no problem. Brian knows his tunes and will work with you to make sure your car runs the way you want it to.

When I was looking for a tune trifecta said they could do it but since having issues they have pulled it for the turbo and no longer will issue one to me. I used vtuners and he is amazing. Check out Vermont tuners
I hope Brian isn't upset about someone joining the forum who's first two posts just praise him and slam a competitor. Some might be thinking: shill.

400hpATS
12-29-13, 09:29 AM
Not slamming trifecta, I paid them a lot of money for everything thing then they decide they can't send me a tune 4 weeks later after waiting. I wish they would make a tune so I could compare, but in the long run of things Brian has bent over backwards with helping and makes a great tune.

----------

Also on a another note the company was not I have seen on here talking about trifecta but another company company out of the UK W-O-T if you have ever heard of them. Now that we have gotten then situated they have new great with trying to help in anyway they can with the car, even offering things at a discount.

mrasmussen
12-29-13, 11:14 AM
just making sure I understand things here. BNRRacing is a re-seller of trifecta products, one of which is the ATS tune package correct? Other folks have their own tune package which basically does the same thing, increase power correct? How does a customer know which is best or are they all relatively similar?

@400hpATS, it sounds like they had trouble with your tune possibly because you are modded? Why do you think they couldn't get a tune to you?

400hpATS
12-29-13, 12:09 PM
Yes there are several companies out there that make tunes for these vehicles and I think what it comes down to is who is going to work with you to keep tuning till you get to the optimal performance. As far why they couldn't work with me was not disclosed but I am willing to bet it is because I am so heavily modded. I am waiting on a new tune now for my water/meth injection from snow and then things should really get fun. I am going to the track later next month with a private team to run and will post video and time slips. The time slips should be in low if not 12 flats.

Bertha D Blues
12-29-13, 08:28 PM
Incomprehensible.

400hpATS
12-29-13, 10:33 PM
I would totally interested in hearing what you could do for my tune, WOT Technologies said they could not make a tune for me and refunded all my money. Please PM about what you are capable of doing for me please.

shawn672
12-31-13, 05:23 PM
Not slamming trifecta, I paid them a lot of money for everything thing then they decide they can't send me a tune 4 weeks later after waiting. I wish they would make a tune so I could compare, but in the long run of things Brian has bent over backwards with helping and makes a great tune.

----------

Can you post here or even PM me as to what exactly occurred with Trifecta as far as them not being able to produce a tune? Seems very odd, just want to make sure I understand this properly

edit: Also curious which mods you have, 400hp is quite high for this platform thus far. Would love to hear more

mrasmussen
12-31-13, 07:18 PM
It seems like a no brainer, nice gains for little cost, plus you can turn it on and off.

400hpATS
01-01-14, 06:38 PM
Can you post here or even PM me as to what exactly occurred with Trifecta as far as them not being able to produce a tune? Seems very odd, just want to make sure I understand this properly edit: Also curious which mods you have, 400hp is quite high for this platform thus far. Would love to hear more

They just contacted me after about 3 weeks telling me that they were not able to complete a tune for my vehicle and my money was being refunded.

As far mods that I have, I have from Vermont tuners : the CAI, tunes ( both tranny and motor) , turbo upgrade, E85 converter. I also have the magnaflow exhaust, snow stage 2 water/meth injection and pfadts 3" catless downpipe. I am in the process of reducing the gap on my plugs right now to accommodate better for the meth injection system. When the system is running right without to many misfires or knocks I am producing around 410hp and still have room to increase the boost more and gain even more. After everything is them and setup correctly after regapping my plugs I should hopefully be in 430-450hp range with my torque being around 500lbs ft. My 0-100 times are at around 9 seconds currently and expect those to continue to drop this my next trip to the track should produce high11's to 12 second runs.

shawn672
01-01-14, 06:53 PM
They just contacted me after about 3 weeks telling me that they were not able to complete a tune for my vehicle and my money was being refunded.

As far mods that I have, I have from Vermont tuners : the CAI, tunes ( both tranny and motor) , turbo upgrade, E85 converter. I also have the magnaflow exhaust, snow stage 2 water/meth injection and pfadts 3" catless downpipe. I am in the process of reducing the gap on my plugs right now to accommodate better for the meth injection system. When the system is running right without to many misfires or knocks I am producing around 410hp and still have room to increase the boost more and gain even more. After everything is them and setup correctly after regapping my plugs I should hopefully be in 430-450hp range with my torque being around 500lbs ft. My 0-100 times are at around 9 seconds currently and expect those to continue to drop this my next trip to the track should produce high11's to 12 second runs.

I don't see how they couldn't produce a tune, but ok. I'm a Trifecta reseller, have been working with them for years and pretty sure they can indeed tune this.

That aside, which turbo are you running? Did you use one of the Pfadt upgrades?

400hpATS
01-01-14, 07:02 PM
I don't see how they couldn't produce a tune, but ok. I'm a Trifecta reseller, have been working with them for years and pretty sure they can indeed tune this. That aside, which turbo are you running? Did you use one of the Pfadt upgrades?

I am using the turbo upgrade from Brian at Vermont Tuners which requires either the E85 or meth/water injection system to use due to higher boost pressure. I am running about 25lbs of boost right now and can still move it up move with the water/meth and the tune that controls the timing, cam, and fuel ratio. Brian will provide you with tunes until you are running at your peak level.

shawn672
01-01-14, 10:13 PM
I am using the turbo upgrade from Brian at Vermont Tuners which requires either the E85 or meth/water injection system to use due to higher boost pressure. I am running about 25lbs of boost right now and can still move it up move with the water/meth and the tune that controls the timing, cam, and fuel ratio. Brian will provide you with tunes until you are running at your peak level.

As will Trifecta... Brian's great but I'm just not understanding why WOT wouldn't provide a Trifecta tune. Sounds like there's some general derogatory towards one company in your posts.

400hpATS
01-01-14, 10:53 PM
As will Trifecta... Brian's great but I'm just not understanding why WOT wouldn't provide a Trifecta tune. Sounds like there's some general derogatory towards one company in your posts.

Honestly there are no hard feeling or derogatory feeling about any company, i actually ordered another one through bnr racing the other day to compare. WOT just said they were unable to provide a tune for my vehicle and was refunding the money. No explanation was given and I should probably ask but I put it in the past and no hard feeling toward them at all. I am about to do a dyno test run with a tune from Steven Federrer and see how his tune stacks up even though he is known more for his corvettes and camaros, I am the first ATS he is doing at LateModel Racecraft! If you could get a response from WOT I would appreciate it.

----------

This Is part of the email from Steven at WOT

" My apologies for the miscommunication then.

Trifecta declined to tune the setup after we sent the order over to them, and asked us to cancel and refund it, which we did. Trifecta basically has the right to refuse tuning any product. They didn't specify exactly why."

Fraggy
01-02-14, 12:05 AM
Better they refused to do something than mess something up.

400hpATS
01-02-14, 12:17 AM
Better they refused to do something than mess something up.

So true

mrasmussen
01-02-14, 12:55 AM
just picked up the tune from bnr, ill post my results

Ragtop 99
01-02-14, 11:00 AM
Better they refused to do something than mess something up. Agree. 25lbs boost and methanol is not something you want to guess at. 400hpATS is so far from stock, that mail order does not seem very realistic unless it is provided by the kit manufacturer or he was sending an existing tune with log that just needed minor tweaking. Mail order can work well when working from near stock or widely proven combinations.

400hpATS
01-02-14, 11:49 AM
Agree. 25lbs boost and methanol is not something you want to guess at. 400hpATS is so far from stock, that mail order does not seem very realistic unless it is provided by the kit manufacturer or he was sending an existing tune with log that just needed minor tweaking. Mail order can work well when working from near stock or widely proven combinations.

I agree with you, I am actually having to reduce to gap in my plugs today to accommodate the water/meth and cut back on misfires/backfires.

Ihuntv8
01-02-14, 12:11 PM
Agree. 25lbs boost and methanol is not something you want to guess at. 400hpATS is so far from stock, that mail order does not seem very realistic unless it is provided by the kit manufacturer or he was sending an existing tune with log that just needed minor tweaking. Mail order can work well when working from near stock or widely proven combinations.

Agree 100%
I don't think he is bashing trifecta at all! I also would agree with Trifecta's decision, modded car like 400ats is not something that should be canned tuned! That type of mods should be tuned under close watch! Can it be done, yes, but would be very time consuming emailing logs and tunes back and forth. If customer receives a tune from anybody, and customers leaves out any info on what there running, there is a good chance car could be running lean, so as your out driving car and running it to do logs to email back to tuner, you have no idea where A/F ratios are! Remote tuning on dyno would be a better alternative!
You call any tuning company, order there mail order flash, you get fuel maps, timing maps, boost setting, ect... From another car that they have tuned at there facility, you go out, drive the car and log WOT, and drive ability, u then email logs back to company for them to review and make the necessary changes for YOUR car! This process is simple for a car that has basic bolt on mods! Each car is different, even in stock form! Location even plays a part!
I talked with couple engineers from trifecta for 4 hours on the phone, this was 4-5 months ago when I started building parts for my ATS, they reached out to me, I have nothing but good things to say about trifecta, we just couldn't come to a compromise to do business together!

400hpATS
01-02-14, 09:13 PM
You have no idea how many logs and tunes I have gone through already with Brian as we continue to tweek every little aspect of it all and after today while regapping my spark plugs I found the top of number 2 was completely broken off and still pushing 410hp. The new log will be run tomorrow and will be able to give an update once I get a chance to run it and go over the log. Since replacing that plug today though I am finally able to run full meth injection with no bog or lag and must say I am predicting somewhere in 420-435 hp. Can't wait to find out!!!

Ihuntv8
01-02-14, 10:32 PM
That's great!
I haven't run into an issue with misfire yet, I'm running 24-25 psi on my car but my stock turbo isn't moving the air your turbo is. Once I start blowing spark out that's first thing I will do is change gap and try diff temp plug. I'm sure eventually we will build a better coil on plug if needed. Hell I ran 30 psi with a 35r on pump gas with my EVO and had plugs gapped at .022. Lol

400hpATS
01-02-14, 10:55 PM
That's great! I haven't run into an issue with misfire yet, I'm running 24-25 psi on my car but my stock turbo isn't moving the air your turbo is. Once I start blowing spark out that's first thing I will do is change gap and try diff temp plug. I'm sure eventually we will build a better coil on plug if needed. Hell I ran 30 psi with a 35r on pump gas with my EVO and had plugs gapped at .022. Lol

That is what I gapped my plugs to this time and am awaiting the new tune with more boost!!

----------

That is what I gapped my plugs to this time and am awaiting the new tune with more boost!! Actuslly they are at .68mm

miguelius
01-03-14, 01:13 AM
Wow, 400hp ATS, I would like to just hear how your car sounds blasting through the gears with that much boost and power. Maybe mount a Go Pro camera on it and give all of us a vicarious thrill! I have heard some pretty awesome heavily turbocharged 2 liter engines in my time, including Rod Millen's Toyota Pikes Peak machines, some very hot Mitsubishi Evos at Pikes peak, David Hobbs' 600 hp 320i BMW at Hallett Raceway in Tulsa in the early 1980s,and Dan Gurney's 700 hp Toyota GTP car at Laguna Seca. But 350 to 400 hp for the street--awesome! Please do a good video for us when you get the chance!:)

400hpATS
01-03-14, 05:56 AM
Wow, 400hp ATS, I would like to just hear how your car sounds blasting through the gears with that much boost and power. Maybe mount a Go Pro camera on it and give all of us a vicarious thrill! I have heard some pretty awesome heavily turbocharged 2 liter engines in my time, including Rod Millen's Toyota Pikes Peak machines, some very hot Mitsubishi Evos at Pikes peak, David Hobbs' 600 hp 320i BMW at Hallett Raceway in Tulsa in the early 1980s,and Dan Gurney's 700 hp Toyota GTP car at Laguna Seca. But 350 to 400 hp for the street--awesome! Please do a good video for us when you get the chance!:)

Will definitely do so when I get to the track later this month for a closed event and record some video! Since replacing that plug that and turning the juice up all the way it's getting kinda scary! I just tested it and ran about a little more or about. 1/4 mile from a 5mph roll and had to slow down at 125mph before the slight turn at 1/5 mile! Scared when it comes to slight turns and tires not being warmed up 100% if ya know what I mean! I get not traction as it is and am on my 4th set of tires looking for some good grippys! I am currently running Nitto Invos and so far they have been the best be know there are better!

Ihuntv8
01-03-14, 09:22 AM
What size tire u running on rear?
Here is a link to Buschur racing website. They had MnH drag radials made to fit on the GTR, and EVO'S, I just texted Dave and they have 245-45-17 at the shop. Not sure on price though, really good tires, sticky!!!
https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=369_375

I'm going to run 235-40-17 on all four corners! I still have a set of 4 slicks that I ran on my EVO, and there 17x7. So they fit stock rims and clear brembo brakes!

400hpATS
01-03-14, 09:54 AM
What size tire u running on rear? 255x40x18, I had 20's on there but in Houston there are too many pot holes and on the 20's I was running 275's but was also getting a lot of rubbing when I had anyone in the car, I am thinking of getting the D3 suspension system put on as they promise better traction and handling. Waiting on a call back from them.

----------

I wonder if they have 18's in stock

Ragtop 99
01-03-14, 10:07 AM
I have nittos on my vette and while better than the stock runcraps, they are not the grippiest street tire around. There are better choices out there for someone pushing your power. Depending upon where you are located, good grip on the street may be hard to achieve due to the weather. Even R compound tires don't hook well in 40* temps on the street. At the track you can warm them up better.

400hpATS
01-03-14, 10:22 AM
255x40x18, I had 20's on there but in Houston there are too many pot holes and on the 20's I was running 275's but was also getting a lot of rubbing when I had anyone in the car, I am thinking of getting the D3 suspension system put on as they promise better traction and handling. Waiting on a call back from them.

My last log this morning I hit 430 hp at 6500rpms with a little knock still but adding some more e85 today will fix that!

Johnm05
01-03-14, 10:57 AM
Looks like you guys have some experience in after market parts so I have a question for you guys. What is the difference in the intake tubing between plastic vs aluminum vs carbon fiber? Might be a stupid question but I can't seem to find a straight answer when I google it.

400hpATS
01-03-14, 11:05 AM
Looks like you guys have some experience in after market parts so I have a question for you guys. What is the difference in the intake tubing between plastic vs aluminum vs carbon fiber? Might be a stupid question but I can't seem to find a straight answer when I google it.

I myself prefer stainless over the other becuse with high flow you could crack the carbon fiber like I did and plastic is very flimsy so you might not get straight induction.

Moderator edit: removed recommendation of a competitor's (non-tune) product. This is a thread about Trifecta's tunes.

Ihuntv8
01-03-14, 11:35 AM
I like stainless and aluminum! As for temps that's a debate that everyone has opinion on, my opinion is, the air travels so fast threw the tube it doesn't really have much of an effect what materiel tubing is made of! I have tested all different types of materiel and metered the air intake temps, little to no difference! Now for intake with open filter vs. stock air box, I have seen temps 15 degrees cooler. Now, most boxed in filters are the way to go because the air filter does not see cold air from the front grill. A lot of aftermarket intakes that are boxed in are to eliminate hot air from under the hood being drawn in, so there is more plumbing on box to try and pull cold air in. Usually the route into fender or down underneath car. The ATS has an opening In front grill to move air to factory box. And NO the the active aero grill does not shut off this part of grill. I removed all factory plastic to the grill from air box, and currently running open filter. I will post a pic what it looks like. Now some people are going to say an open filter is still going to draw in hot air under the hood, and I agree, it will when the car is stopped and running, once car is moving it has outside air moving right onto filter! This setup the intake temps run 15-18* cooler than factory box!
Hope this helps. I will go take pic in a bit!

400hpATS
01-03-14, 12:31 PM
I am interested in seeing your setup, please post a pic when you can

Johnm05
01-03-14, 12:48 PM
Yea pictures would be great!

Ragtop 99
01-03-14, 12:55 PM
The ATS has an opening In front grill to move air to factory box... I removed all factory plastic to the grill from air box, and currently running open filter...Now some people are going to say an open filter is still going to draw in hot air under the hood, and I agree, it will when the car is stopped and running, once car is moving it has outside air moving right onto filter! This setup the intake temps run 15-18* cooler than factory box!

If the intake air heats up much when standing still, that can kill the 60' time when drag racing. Other other hand, dropping IATs by 15*, especially once summer comes will definitely help the car keep its power. What do think is causing the factory intake air temps to increase by 15* compared to open box? Is the air being drawn across the intercooler? Is the box heating up? Seems like the ideal solution would be a box with a better path to ambient air.

shappy
01-03-14, 04:00 PM
Not sure if this has been covered in this thread or not, but if the car goes in for service, can the dealer detect the tune? Don't want to risk any warranty coverage issues.

Thanks.

Ihuntv8
01-03-14, 04:46 PM
If the intake air heats up much when standing still, that can kill the 60' time when drag racing. Other other hand, dropping IATs by 15*, especially once summer comes will definitely help the car keep its power. What do think is causing the factory intake air temps to increase by 15* compared to open box? Is the air being drawn across the intercooler? Is the box heating up? Seems like the ideal solution would be a box with a better path to ambient air.

Yes it heat soaks very fast! I have vid I will email you, it drops very fast once car moves, which is nice! At dragstrip on 65* day, my intake temps where around 110-115,but they dropped down to 75 and only went up to 80 in a pass. Not horrible but I'm sure a 90* day will be different. I didn't have software when it was that hot out!

Ihuntv8
01-03-14, 04:59 PM
Here ya go
I've tried several different intakes so far

ATScape
01-16-14, 09:40 PM
Not to get off topic, but I just noticed the Trifecta tune prices on BNR's website and the 2014 ATS tune is more expensive by quite a bit. Aren't the 2013 and 2014 ATS identical mechanically and electronically? Why then is the Trifecta 2014 tune costs $100+ more than the 2013 tune...?

mrasmussen
01-17-14, 02:51 PM
Just installed the BNR trifecta tune. It was pretty easy to install. I also just sent them my first catalog of a pull from 0 - 70, we'll see if they come back with a change.

First impression, I definitely notice the car pulling harder, I like it. BUT, it seems to be a little more jerky in the power delivery, where stock was calmer I guess you could say. Not a big deal, especially since you can turn on and off the tune easily.

I'll post back if I get an update to my base tune.

atsguy2
01-17-14, 06:01 PM
I installed the tune on my 2014 2.0T AWD. I agree that it seems to push harder. It is hard to tell right now because it has snowed continuously since I put the tune in making it hard to push when the roads are completely covered with snow! Hope to try Sunday as it says it will be "clear" in the forecast!

dirty south
01-17-14, 06:05 PM
Sounds promising...Can you post a stock vs tuned dyno?

Thanks!

atsguy2
01-17-14, 08:54 PM
btw. There is no select a tune yet for '14.