Cadillac Owners Forum banner

lowering my 2005 cadillac sts

13K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  professor_speed 
#1 ·
ok i have a 2005 cadillac sts with FE1 rear suspension, i bought B&G lowering springs and the front sits nice and so does the rear but my problem is that when the car is still or sitting awhile it sits even but when im driving the car and i stop wherever i am going the rear for some reason raises up like if it has air suspension and it looks factory height in the rear. but if i have FE1 rear shocks shouldnt it not be raising up the car?

#3 ·
MoistCabbage said:
They all have ELC. FE1/FE3 can be thought of as soft ride/sport ride. Different spring rates, shocks/struts, sway bars...

You'll have to shorten the connecting rods on the ride height sensors to "fool" the ELC system.

BTW, :welcome:
where are the right height sensors located? and where and what are the connecting rods? i also tried looking for ELC fuses and my car doesnt have any at all.

#6 ·
I had the same problem & D3 won't sell you the shock hats by themselves if you didn't buy the springs from them. I took my rear shocks back out & removed the hats on them. There is approximately a 1.5 inch thick rubber spacer on top of the shock. I sliced it down to about a 1/4 inch thick & reinstalled. Problem solved.

This is just how I did it, I'm not saying that its the best or the right way but it worked & I don't have any issues.

----------

ITSQUIK said:
I had the same problem & D3 won't sell you the shock hats by themselves if you didn't buy the springs from them. I took my rear shocks back out & removed the hats on them. There is approximately a 1.5 inch thick rubber spacer on top of the shock. I sliced it down to about a 1/4 inch thick & reinstalled. Problem solved.

This is just how I did it, I'm not saying that its the best or the right way but it worked & I don't have any issues.
P.S. From what I was able to find online for images of the D3 part. It looks like that is what they did. Removed the rubber spacer & replaced it with a shortened one.

#7 ·
ITSQUIK said:

----------

P.S. From what I was able to find online for images of the D3 part. It looks like that is what they did. Removed the rubber spacer & replaced it with a shortened one.
how easy is it to remove the shock? cause when its sitting and the car hasnt moved the rear wheel well is even with the top of the tire no gap or finger space and i have stock 17" rims with 235/50/17 tires and once the car is in motion and i stop somewhere the rear lifts up and from having no gap or finger space it ends up having a 2 finger gap. the front is fine its just the rear.

#9 ·
ITSQUIK said:
It's not too bad to pull the shocks. You have to get the car off the ground & let the rear suspension hang. There are 2 nuts inside the trunk on top of each shock & there is 1 bolt on the bottom that attaches the shock to the control arm.
do i have to disassemble the whole back arms to get the shock out? and do i have to worry about it having pressure or shooting out? and about how long does it take to take off?

#24 ·
MoistCabbage said:
They all have ELC (except maybe the V?). FE1/FE2/FE3..... can be thought of as soft ride/sport ride, sportier as the number increases. Different spring rates, shocks/struts, sway bars...

You'll have to shorten the connecting rods on the ride height sensors to "fool" the ELC system.

how do you shorten the rods btw?

#25 ·
I was mistaken when I posted they all have ELC. But on vehicles that do have it, one way is to buy threaded rod at a hardware store, of the correct diameter to fit into the plastic rod ends on the original rods, and cut it to your desired length. Then just thread the rod ends on.

#26 ·
ITSQUIK said:
Yessir, Very nice.
yo whats up man if you can call me up i have a question about the bushing of the shock 786-859-7772

----------

MoistCabbage said:
They all have ELC (except maybe the V?). FE1/FE2/FE3..... can be thought of as soft ride/sport ride, sportier as the number increases. Different spring rates, shocks/struts, sway bars...

hey i looked for the sensors but i have no idea what they look like or where exactly they are i took the tires off both rear and looked for sensors but i dont see anything at all. do you have any picture of what they look like or exactly where they are located?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.