: 03 EXT tailgate latch pin catch

wetneck
05-21-13, 10:08 PM
my tailgate seems only to be latching on the drivers side, not passenger. theres nothing holding the right side from closing all the way, it
does but it just doesnt close/lock around the latch pin, even when i use a screwdriver to close the latch, it doesnt lock closed... any suggestions ?

the cadillac man
05-21-13, 10:43 PM
my tailgate seems only to be latching on the drivers side, not passenger. theres nothing holding the right side from closing all the way, it
does but it just doesnt close/lock around the latch pin, even when i use a screwdriver to close the latch, it doesnt lock closed... any suggestions ?

Most likely the latch will need replacing

YoshiMan
05-22-13, 12:54 AM
You might try lubing it up with either silicone or WD40.

I have "fixed" numerous hood latches on several cars just by taking them out, cleaning, and lubricating them. It's funny how it works so well sometimes, as it may just have some dirt or something jammed in it.

Even so, As Cadillac Man said, a new assembly shouldnt cost too much either

the cadillac man
05-22-13, 01:34 AM
You might try lubing it up with either silicone or WD40.

I have "fixed" numerous hood latches on several cars just by taking them out, cleaning, and lubricating them. It's funny how it works so well sometimes, as it may just have some dirt or something jammed in it.

Even so, As Cadillac Man said, a new assembly shouldnt cost too much either

White grease works great(I use that a lot)

wetneck
05-22-13, 09:36 PM
yea i was wondering today if the rt side latch was unable to lock due to the linkage holding it open.....
it doesnt look rusty/dry but worth a try to lube it