: removing ignition cylinder

kilrcady
05-21-13, 08:35 PM
been trying to remove the ignition cylider so I could remove the column cover.I keep poking a small awl into the small hole underneath the ignition and it does nothing.I cant get it out.What am I doing wrong?

glake89
05-22-13, 09:25 AM
From the SM-
"Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Turn the ignition switch to the START position.
Insert the awl into the lower steering column trim cover access hole.
Press in the release button using the awl."
"Release the ignition switch to the RUN position.
Remove the ignition lock cylinder."

That should do it.

kilrcady
05-27-13, 08:33 PM
Thanks will try this

bhodge
10-21-13, 11:08 PM
Hi,

I was trying this as well but after pressing the release button using an awl, I removed pressure from the button before releasing the ignition. As a result the ignition cylinder moved past start and is now stuck. If the release button is not pushed, I cannot rotate the ignition at all, clockwise or counter. If I push the release button, it pops out, maybe 1/4" to 1/2" at the most and only allows me to rotate clockwise about a quarter turn but does not allow me to pull out the cylinder.

So now I'm at point where I can't get the key out and the ignition cylinder is stuck in a position slightly past start so I can't even start the car. Does anyone have any ideas on how to get my cylinder back in its proper position? I am about to rip off the bottom cover so I can get access to the switch but not even sure what to do after that. I would think that this might be a semi-regular issue as I could see it easily happening so hopefully there is an easy fix. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bhodge
10-22-13, 10:55 AM
Apologies, I posted this in the wrong forum. I have created a new post in the CTS first gen section where it belongs here (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-first-generation-forum-2003/389386-ignition-cylinder-stuck.html#post11170626)