: Aeroforce OBDII Dash Gauge

frankc5r
05-21-13, 06:31 PM
Been looking for a good device that can both scan all of the parameters our cars use and also display them without using
a laptop. Have used a MSD Dashawk for a number of years but MSD stopped support and it now sets off a code if I plug it into
the OBDII port. Still works and displays and logs data but I was looking for a modern version.
Jerry at BNR refered me to Interceptor gauge by Aeroforce.
See:
http://aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

Mounted one in my ATS 2.0 today and it works great. You can pick practically any sensor or parameter and display up to 8 at a time. tho with 8
the text is small. CAn also have display cycle between sets of parameters. Can also log data and play back later.

Quick trip out and I saw 16 psi boost and 0-1 deg of early knock retard.

Here is a picture:

PS: Car is idleing. With variable cams u get very high idle vac. Gauge reads 13.5 in Hg with if u
multiply by 2.03 in vac per in Hg gives 27 in of vac like most people are used to seeing

donavo
05-21-13, 06:36 PM
Been looking for a good device that can both scan all of the parameters our cars use and also display them without using
a laptop. Have used a MSD Dashawk for a number of years but MSD stopped support and it now sets off a code if I plug it into
the OBDII port. Still works and displays and logs data but I was looking for a modern version.
Jerry at BNR refered me to Interceptor gauge by Aeroforce.
See:
http://aeroforcetech.com/products_interceptor.html

Mounted one in my ATS 2.0 today and it works great. You can pick practically any sensor or parameter and display up to 8 at a time. tho with 8
the text is small. CAn also have display cycle between sets of parameters. Can also log data and play back later.

Quick trip out and I saw 16 psi boost and 0-1 deg of early knock retard.

Here is a picture:

maan.....no offence at all but dont u think that looks rly bad on a beautiful and classy dash? is there an option for a less visible type of deal? maybe some technologically inclined person can figure out how to include a boost gauge on the information screens on the dash?

frankc5r
05-21-13, 07:05 PM
maan.....no offence at all but dont u think that looks rly bad on a beautiful and classy dash? is there an option for a less visible type of deal? maybe some technologically inclined person can figure out how to include a boost gauge on the information screens on the dash?

It comes out in 2 sec if wanted . And again no offense- but I would rather have a little ugly than a burnt piston if I had a tune.

The fake carbon is kinda ugly. Plan on scanning the dash cover with a colorimeter and painted the gauge hsn with ATS specific color
for a better blend

donavo
05-21-13, 07:17 PM
It comes out in 2 sec if wanted . And again no offense- but I would rather have a little ugly than a burnt piston if I had a tune.

The fake carbon is kinda ugly. Plan on scanning the dash cover with a colorimeter and painted the gauge hsn with ATS specific color
for a better blend

no offense but no offense. . i agree about the burned piston though. i dont know much in that area, but what would you be looking for to prevent damage with the tune? keep an eye on the boost make sure its not too high? if so, what would be too high?

frankc5r
05-21-13, 08:59 PM
no offense but no offense. . i agree about the burned piston though. i dont know much in that area, but what would you be looking for to prevent damage with the tune? keep an eye on the boost make sure its not too high? if so, what would be too high?

That is why it is always good to know what is going on even if u do not have a tune. I have had 2 of the GM turbos with older LNF engine and
the max boost was about 24 psi vs 13-17 stock. It varies cause of the ecm GM uses which controls torque stock to 260 ft# and uses whatever
boost it needs to make the target. But even that varies with octane, altitude( takes more boost at higher altitudes).
What I always monitored before and will again with ATS is boost ( to makesure wg rod not misadjusted) and ignition retard from knock.
Knock will kill turbos especially highly boosted ones like the ATS, STi etc etc. If I see more than a little knock, I find out why--bad gas? or
some other problem. Stock GM makes a very safe piece with boost reduction if it sees a bad knock problem. A reduced power message
will come up on dash.

frank

gfxbt
05-22-13, 09:40 AM
Very cool, although I agree it's not the nicest looking thing. But, better to have the information than not have it at all. Does it record the data so you can view it later (e.g., maybe dump it into excel)?

mikesul
05-22-13, 10:00 AM
What vehicle did you use in ordering, GM 2.0T ? Notice no Cadillac listed.

frankc5r
05-22-13, 10:46 AM
What vehicle did you use in ordering, GM 2.0T ? Notice no Cadillac listed.
Yes Mike, you order by maker, in this case GM. 2008 and later GM use CAN bus so order CN series gauge.
I order red display-mistake. Want white background for best daylight display. Sending mine to be reflashed to black on white background

thebigjimsho
05-22-13, 12:42 PM
I'd rather mount a phone(doesn't even need to be activated, just Bluetooth enabled) to the dash or windshield and have a more normal, more useable display...

Stevo Supremo
05-22-13, 01:02 PM
yikes thats ugly, but I do realize it can be removed so no flak to you :)

Aeroforce interceptors are the shit man, had one on my cobalt and would LOVE one for the ATS

what about painting that carbon stuff flat black and mounting it to the steering column like the ion redlines have? kinda like this
http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad229/stevoelsupremo/dsc_3957_zpsfa2cc097.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stevoelsupremo/media/dsc_3957_zpsfa2cc097.jpg.html)

gfxbt
05-22-13, 02:31 PM
I like the steering column idea. The whole idea of being able to see the data and monitor it is extremely appealing. On that note, does anyone know of a good iPhone app to do this? Would be cool if there were a decent app and you could just use a Bluetooth OBDII dongle.

Stevo Supremo
05-22-13, 10:20 PM
I like the steering column idea. The whole idea of being able to see the data and monitor it is extremely appealing. On that note, does anyone know of a good iPhone app to do this? Would be cool if there were a decent app and you could just use a Bluetooth OBDII dongle.

only thing like that I'm aware of is for the android

YoshiFD3S
05-22-13, 11:01 PM
iPhone has the "Rev" app (I think it's like $40, though...I bought it a while ago)

Android's have the "Torque" app.

Here's an example of a screenshot from the iPhone "Rev" app:

Red/Orange = HP/TQ
Green = Boost
Blue = RPM's
Grey = Speed (MPH)

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/YoshiFD3S/1E683C72-0498-4AFD-91DD-6FF816B82FEC-4656-000003C19B4BBC8A_zps3aa7ab12.jpg

You can customize the graph to show different things. Here's the main display that you customize:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e356/YoshiFD3S/A21AB077-F1A5-463E-983D-3E59AFBE1D9B-12892-000007DC6B83BACA.jpg

You get the idea. :P

I personally like the iPhone rev app better, and the graphing is easier to comprehend versus the Android "Torque" app.

Doing 0-60MPH runs with the "Rev" app is kind of a pain in the butt though. Takes a couple tries for it to record it properly.

Siren05
05-23-13, 09:56 AM

I run a fully built Subaru 2011 STI
I have a full Defi set up gauges and controller.

IMO EGT,OIL PRESSURE AND AFR ARE THE IMPORTANT MONITORS ON HIGH BOOST CARS.

BOOST GAUGE MEH.I DATA LOG WEEKLY FOR KNOCK AND TARGET BOOST

Stevo Supremo
05-23-13, 10:36 AM
I run a fully built Subaru 2011 STI
I have a full Defi set up gauges and controller.

IMO EGT,OIL PRESSURE AND AFR ARE THE IMPORTANT MONITORS ON HIGH BOOST CARS.

BOOST GAUGE MEH.I DATA LOG WEEKLY FOR KNOCK AND TARGET BOOST

this guy... this guy knows whats up^ :thumbsup:

but lets be honest, boost gauges are just fun :yup:

BNRacing
05-23-13, 12:52 PM
I can get those gauges if you guys want to order some. I've got them in my LNF cobalt also, love them. 109689

gfxbt
05-23-13, 01:15 PM
Is there any kind of a-pillar insert like that to house gauges for the ATS?

donavo
05-23-13, 02:11 PM
im probably the only one who thinks this, but im strongly against putting ricer stuff like that on the ATS. this isnt a honda or a subaru. to each his own but extra gauges like that in an ats is just disgusting i think. yeah some might say id rather have something ugly than a blown piston or whatever. but i doubt the tune ur getting from trifecta is enough to do any damage. if ur planning to tune to a point where you need to keep an eye on things, at least stay away from the ricey crap. ur driving a cadillac for crying out loud...not a mistubishi eclipse with nozzzz, granny shifting not double clutching like you should.

thebigjimsho
05-23-13, 02:29 PM
Agreed. A pillar gauges are tacky on a Caddy. Something integrated into the dash or console would be much better...

Stevo Supremo
05-23-13, 02:34 PM
ah I LOVED my ZZP triple gauge pod pillar in my CobaltSS but thats not something I'd put in this car lol

gfxbt
05-23-13, 02:48 PM
I agree with all of your comments, which brings us to the question - Is there some app you can run on your phone that will provide good, reliable data, and logging? The point isn't to worry about blown pistons, it's just an interest in the data points.

donavo
05-23-13, 03:06 PM
I agree with all of your comments, which brings us to the question - Is there some app you can run on your phone that will provide good, reliable data, and logging? The point isn't to worry about blown pistons, it's just an interest in the data points.

see my thread here --> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-general-discussion-forum/289028-diy-cheap-hud-alternative-none-hud.html

YoshiFD3S
05-23-13, 05:50 PM

Short answer: "Rev" App if you have an iPhone...."Torque" App if you have an Android. Buy yourself the "Kiwi WiFi OBD2" adapater (~$100)...and it will work with both, no problem.

thebigjimsho
05-25-13, 08:06 PM
I used the ELM327 with my Torque app with no issues. Very reliable...

Hoosier Daddy
05-25-13, 08:42 PM
I used the ELM327 with my Torque app with no issues. Very reliable...
Do they have an app yet for a "modern" phone (i.e. Windows 8).

CTSCHICK
05-26-13, 01:57 AM
After 5 years of use I just sold my Interceptor gauge last Thursday for $200 not bad considering that is what I paid for it new before the prices went up.
I originally used it in my G5 GT with an SS pillar and then tried it for a few weeks in my CTS with one of these suction cup pod mounts my b.f. uses to switch his wide band from car to car.
The Interceptor fit perfectly along with the cut out in the back for the cable, You just wouldn't be using the accessory plug that is for the Autometer gauges. I just couldn't find a spot I liked as much as the SS pillar pod location so I decided to get rid of it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-5231?seid=srese1&gclid=CPXn1p33srcCFcyj4Aodu14AMA

I have Torque app as a replacement for in car use in case there is a problem but it isn't as nice and doesn't do as much as the Interceptors functions do IMO

If I was going to keep my car for a couple more years my b.f. was going to mount the Interceptor where the clock is on the center of my dash in the CTS but he won't do it since I am thinking about getting rid of it.

YoshiFD3S
05-26-13, 02:29 AM
You can use the cheapo bluetooth OBD2 adapters with the Androids, but with the iPhone, it'll only work with WiFi OBD2 devices.

I've tried both apps and OBD2 adapters.

CTSCHICK
09-03-13, 03:15 AM
I can get those gauges if you guys want to order some. I've got them in my LNF cobalt also, love them. 109689

BNRacing how about an ATS specific single pod gauge mount for an Interceptor?? Torque app is decent but the Interceptor is much better IMO

Ancient Mariner
09-03-13, 10:48 AM
Had an Aeroforce setup on my ex-Shelby - great gauge with a lot of abilities including user friendly adjustability. For the Ford it had a great vent mount option that also made it very unobtrusive; unfortunately that's not the case for the ATS.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v243/BillWS6/Shelby/Shelby%20Mods/Aeroforce%20Gauge/7e3e5fe0.jpg

Nite_Hawk
09-03-13, 08:12 PM
Look at the dash command for the iphone. I know with certain radios it can be made to appear on the Radio screen, maybe it will work with the CUE, kinda how pandora mirrors whats on the phone, when plugged in. worth a shot.

bravnik
09-06-13, 11:45 AM
It would be really nice if we could read PIDs in the DIC. They could simply add a PID option in the DIC then let us choose which PID to display on the left and right. Would be awesome to say the least. GM you listening??!!

Stevo Supremo
09-06-13, 01:30 PM
lol no they aren't or they'd have put a flash available to have a boost gauge in the DIC ages ago when we whined for that.