: Another Tire thread

smithb
05-21-13, 06:30 PM
OK, I need new tires. I've read the multitude of tire threads, and had it narrowed down to Pzero Nero and ExtremeContact DWS, leaning towards the Continentals. However in the past 2 weeks I've had 2 guys tell me they had the Continentals and they were great tires for the first 10k miles or year, but then they were horrible.

Has anyone here used the Continental tires for 30k+ miles? Anyone have problems with the tires getting way worse? Thanks.

angelbones
05-21-13, 11:20 PM
I just put the Conti Extremecontacts on my Coupe about 1K miles ago. I'm definitely liking them. When I researched, the reviews regarding longevity ran the gamut. Slight majority said "they're performance tires so don't expect more than 15K miles" while other reviews said they were getting 30K - 40K miles out of them. So I'm hoping for the best but prepared for the worst. I will say, however, that the Continentals overall seem to have the best longevity of performance summer tires, which is one reason I chose it.

OMG
05-21-13, 11:48 PM
Are you looking at the DW's or DWS's? Two different tires. Also I have the Pzero Nero, they handle great in the dry and wet are wearing well, however quiet is not one of their bullet points...they will be replaced by DWS come october.

Jschmank
05-22-13, 01:30 AM
on my second set of DWS's and am very happy with them. They lasted about 40000 on my 2008 AWD and do fine in all weather conditions, look good and perform well. And are reasonably priced. I did not experience any degradation in performance as they wore.

MD-11
05-22-13, 02:25 AM
had a set of "DWS" on a 2001 grandam i was happy with them quiet and good ride and after 40k they looked to have at least another 20k the "S" was still visible but the sidewalls are soft so you will loose a little steering feel and they flat spot but smooth out after a couple of miles

smithb
05-22-13, 11:13 AM
Thank you for the feedback. I still have on the factory tires here at 46k miles, and while they are not super high performance, they soldier on here almost 50k miles in. My driving style is gentle on acceleration (most of the time), but I generally take turns very fast. I need (prefer) all season tires as I don't have room to store winter tires, and we get moderate snow around here, so I am looking at the DWS.

The two guys I talked to said the DWS started out great, but the performance trailed off dramatically. I didn't ask about general tread life, but I'm pretty sure both swapped out tires before they were worn out due to the poor performance.

I appreciate the feedback on noise, and that and ride comfort are two big factors for me. I drive the Cadillac to have a comfortable, but sporty ride. I have a Corvette Z06 when I want to have some fun.

I was leaning toward the Pirellis, but I think I might get the Contis. I am also waiting to see the PS A/S 3's, but I'm guessing they will be too expensive.

I appreciate everyone's experience, and if anyone else has more to add, I will be checking back. Thank you!

HurstGN
05-22-13, 07:39 PM
I have the P-Zero's as well. I'm hoping all the interior noise I have is from the tires. I drove a 2013 loaner for a day, base model AWD, and it was real quiet. So I'm thinking the noise is the tires.

CTSCHICK
05-22-13, 08:36 PM
Every Pirelli tire I have ever had on a car was noisy, The P zero's were the noisiest tires I ever had on a car my G5 GT came with them couldn't wait to get rid of them for Michelin's

snofun3
05-22-13, 10:34 PM
I had Zero Nero's and was unimpressed with the noise, and always had issues like vibration and balance.

I now have a Jag XF with Continental Extreme's (20 inch), and can't say that the handling is super-outstanding, expecting the turn-in with such a low profile tire to be quicker. Noise is OK, and wet handling is pretty good (I live in s FL, and they're good in torrents). Braking I can say is truly outstanding.

Give Tirerack a call too, as they typically have some pretty good ideas what will go best.

mountainmancts
05-23-13, 03:08 PM
I just put Yokahama YK580s on my car after nitto tires wore out and it's like I have a new car. I drove 70000 miles and could kick myself for not changing the tires sooner. I thought I just had a really loud caddy. I really recommend these tires for the price worth every penny.

MoFex
05-23-13, 04:06 PM
I just put Yokahama YK580s on my car after nitto tires wore out and it's like I have a new car. I drove 70000 miles and could kick myself for not changing the tires sooner. I thought I just had a really loud caddy. I really recommend these tires for the price worth every penny.

How many miles did you put on the YK580? My wife Infiniti FX35 "used" two sets of YK520 that lasted 30,000 miles each set. Now we have YK580 with 60,000 warranty and are very happy. They are quiet, good in dry and wet. My only concern getting them for Caddy would be handling. I think they sidewall are just to soft. It does not bother me with FX as this car has stiff, sporty suspension.

----------

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 available on TireRack: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Sport+A%2FS+3+%28W-+or+Y-Speed+Rated%29&partnum=35YR8PSAS3&vehicleSearch=true&fromCompare1=yes&autoMake=Cadillac&autoYear=2008&autoModel=CTS 3.6L Direct Injection RWD&autoModClar=18 in.Tire Performance Package

This is the tire I am interested in....

mountainmancts
05-23-13, 04:55 PM
I have about 10000 on them and they are great. The caddy handles really well but I'm not on a track or anything. I have the first gen caddy it's an 06 and I always thought the ride was really stiff, but with the 580s it's better than when I bought it and I just rolled over 100,000 this month. Was thinking about trading it in, but I think I'll keep the old girl now.

MoFex
05-23-13, 05:04 PM
....I have the first gen caddy it's an 06 and I always thought the ride was really stiff, but with the 580s it's better than when I bought it...................

That's my concern. Currently I have the second set of OEM Michellins and I am OK with them. They are not the greatest in wet but I can live with that. I do not want anything with softer sidewalls.....

mountainmancts
05-23-13, 05:32 PM
The car doesn't feel the least bit sloppy. Go with your gut if you want performance n handling go with a sport tire. If u want smooth riding car that's super quiet and still handles really good for everyday driving get the 580s. The only one who can make the call is you. Good luck!!

----------

I wanted to add that my car handles corners the same or better than before it just doesn't feel like I'm driving on wagon wheels when I hit sharp bumps.