: HELP: Thief broke into our CTS using electronic device

gordon87
05-21-13, 05:37 PM
My wife parked her 2008 CTS in a parking garage and went in to the gym. About 15 minutes later, a woman in the car next to her saw a man with a device unlock and enter the car. The lights went on like when we unlock the car. She confronted him and he said something about watching the car for my wife (lie) and left. I don't know whether he could have started the car and driven off. He seemed to want to find something in the car to take. Also, I don't know whether he could have gotten into the trunk, but I assume the trunk release button may have worked once he unlocked the car.

The lady who scared him off and my wife filed a police report and my wife called Cadillac and the dealer, but has not received an answer yet. Given the technology used by new cars for locking/unlocking, are we all now at risk that our cars can be broken into and presumably stolen if the thieves have the right electronic equipment to hack our vehicle's locking mechanism? Is there anything that can be done?

Is there a way to stop the interior trunk release button from working so that my wife can at least keep something in the trunk without fear of it being stolen?

How can we contact the regional manager for Cadillac to discuss this?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RippyPartsDept
05-21-13, 06:26 PM
Researchers from Ruhr University Bochum, Germany, presented a complete break of remote
keyless entry systems based on the KeeLoq RFID technology. The shown vulnerability applies to
all known car and building access control systems that rely on the KeeLoq cipher. “The security
hole allows illegitimate parties to access buildings and cars after remote eavesdropping from a
distance of up to 100 meters” says Prof. Christof Paar. His Communication Security Group in the
Electrical Engineering and Information Sciences Department has developed the break as part of
their research in embedded security.

Prof. Paar’s team applied the newest code breaking technologies for developing several attacks.
With the most devastating attack, car keys (or building keys) can be cloned from a distance of
several 100 meters. “Eavesdropping on as little as two messages enables illegitimate parties to
duplicate your key and to open your garage or unlock your car”, says Prof. Paar. With another
malicious attack, a garage door or a car door can be remotely manipulated so that legitimate keys do
not work any more. As a consequence, access to the car or the building is not possible any more.

http://www.emsec.rub.de/keeloq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeeLoq
(http://www.emsec.rub.de/keeloq)

----------

basically they clone your remote from a distance when you use it to lock your car

The_Judge
05-21-13, 08:51 PM
I never use the remote to lock the car -- it locks itself up tight within 30 seconds of the closing of the doors and/or trunk!

I don't know if that offers any protection, but it can't hurt.

dynalub
05-21-13, 09:07 PM
Hi, If they enter the car they have access to the trunk and not by the door button.

rchern
05-21-13, 10:06 PM
What if you're using the keyless access system? Can they read that just like they read the remote when you hit the lock button?

gordon87
05-21-13, 11:19 PM
We have the keyless access system, and my wife let's the car lock itself after she parks. I believe the guy had a device which picked up the code when the car and the key fob communicated to lock the car. I assume it would have picked up the code if she had pressed the lock button on the key fob as well.

The_Judge
05-21-13, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't be too sure. You have to be within about 2 or 3 feet of the door or trunk for the keyless system to work, so I have to wonder whether a remote device ccowlick p such a weak signal. Could be, I suppose, but I would like to see some research on the issue.

OMG
05-21-13, 11:34 PM
I never use the remote to lock the car -- it locks itself up tight within 30 seconds of the closing of the doors and/or trunk!

I don't know if that offers any protection, but it can't hurt.

Ok. I need to comb through my manual. But before I do was this option available before '11's?

The_Judge
05-21-13, 11:35 PM
It was the same on my 2008.

gordon87
05-21-13, 11:55 PM
I wonder whether we should have the car and 2 key fobs reprogrammed to a new code, so if the guy shows up again when she is parking at this garage, he won't already have her access code. Of course, he could always try to read it again, but he might not be in a position to when she parks and locks the car.

OMG
05-22-13, 12:57 AM
I wouldn't be too sure. You have to be within about 2 or 3 feet of the door or trunk for the keyless system to work, so I have to wonder whether a remote device ccowlick p such a weak signal. Could be, I suppose, but I would like to see some research on the issue. THe signal is not weak, the antenna's are programmed to respond to a certain signal strength. That is why some buttons on your remote work at different distances. For example your lock and remote start can work from up to 300 ft probably. But your unlock only works at like 30 feet.

The guys scanner was also probably directional too and could pick up even really faint signals.

This technology has been around for a pretty long time.

Great fortunes smiled on you for that nice lady to actually help prevent a crime. That took balls.

tinman
05-22-13, 09:18 AM
Hi, If they enter the car they have access to the trunk and not by the door button.

In my '12 sedan loaner the rear seats don't fold down. How would they have access to the trunk other than through the hockey stick pass-thru?

somedaycts
05-22-13, 10:15 AM
I assume if they can unlock the vehicle they should have no problem pushing the button on the driver's door skin to pop the trunk. Likewise, they can open up the rear seat pass-through and either use a stick or very long arm to reach back to the emergency trunk release, pull that, and open the trunk.

tinman
05-22-13, 10:31 AM
I agree in theory. Usually they will only do something to gain access that is "quick and dirty". They don't usually take the time to fish around in the trunk for the e-open. As for the trunk button, I just went outside and tried my '12 sedan loaner. It works upon entry, so they will, indeed, gain easy access to the trunk. I don't know if there is a way to have the trunk button disabled without the key in the ignition.

C "T" ess
05-22-13, 01:39 PM
If they want it bad enough, there is nothing you can do to stop them. Ever see a car on the hook or on a flatbed and ask yourself " I wonder if that car is being stolen"? Especially around the holidays when people are fumbling with packages or as in your case; a darkened parking garage. If they can't get into yours they just move on to the next.

dreiloft
05-22-13, 03:26 PM
In my '12 sedan loaner the rear seats don't fold down. How would they have access to the trunk other than through the hockey stick pass-thru?
There is a trunk release button on the drivers side door. Woops didn't continue ready posts, was already answered.

gohawks63
05-22-13, 07:17 PM
Don't most modern day remotes use rolling codes in their remotes?

I know there are scanners out there that will communicate with the car and go through all the possible sequences until it hits the right ones, but those are pretty expensive I thought.

RippyPartsDept
05-22-13, 09:07 PM
Yes but it has been cracked (apparently)