: 74 Fleetwood parking brake question.

gold01ca
05-21-13, 05:27 PM
Am I correct, parking brake has no hand release? (car is 4 hours away or I'd go look:hmm:)
P. brake automatically releases when trans. is shifted into gear?
Going on Friday to pick up car (inheritance/barn find) and getting my ducks in a row.

Thanks!

bigm57ict
05-21-13, 05:34 PM
If the car is equipped with the auto-release, you won't see the traditional pull handle on the lower dash.
There should be a manual release, though. It is not as visible since it is only there in case the auto release is inoperative.
Follow the pedal arm up from the foot pad. You should find a small lever to release the brake manually.

gold01ca
05-21-13, 05:45 PM
Excellent, thanks bigm57.
Just curious, is auto release a mechanical, electrical or electro-mechanical device?
There's no battery in car right now.

77CDV
05-21-13, 09:27 PM
Auto-release parking brake was a standard Cadillac feature in this era. It's a vacuum-operated system that releases the parking brake when the car is shifted out of park into any gear (except neutral), whether the car is running or not. The manual release lever that releases the brake if the auto-release feature doesn't won't release the pedal if the return spring or mechanical cable are frozen or broken.

Congrats on your inheritance! :)

gold01ca
05-21-13, 10:04 PM
Thanks 77CDV!
I'm excited about getting the car home and seeing exactly what I'm dealing with here, Junk or Jewel.

bigm57ict
05-22-13, 12:03 AM
Don't forget to post pictures when you do! :)