: buying a car, how to pay?

hungryhippo
01-16-05, 08:31 AM
i found a great deal on a 01 dts and am paying cash(well, check). however, the guy will not take a personal check. he wants a wire transfer, cash, or to meet me at my credit union while i get the cashier check and try to directly deposit it into his account right there. is this normal? how does someone normally buy a car from a private party? i mean, if my check bounces or i scam him with a fake cashier check, cant he sue me since he has all my info? just wondering.... i find it strange it is so much trouble when i dont need financing

Leloz
01-16-05, 08:38 AM
I do not blame him. I only accept a cashier's check or money order when I sell a car privately. It is too risky to take Personal Checks or Cash these days. So it is perfectly normal for him to make that request. Goodluck with the new purchase :thumbsup:

Msilva954
01-16-05, 09:45 AM
Normal....we showed up witha 4000 cashiers check.....but are guy noramlly sold cars so it didnt scare me......just make sure everything checks out and there shouldnt be a problem.....just remember his house address incase.

Rolex
01-16-05, 01:57 PM
I agree this is normal. If I were him I would also keep the title of the car until your cashiers check cleared all banks. That can sometimes take a week, or longer. His credit union can't really do anything to verify a cashiers check...ie they can't call to see if the check is valid. If you were buying from me I would give you a bill of sale and keep the title until the check cleared.

When you sell a car to an individual and they bounce a check, the only legal recourse you're left with is repossessing the car, which can be difficult to do. You cannot report the car as stolen unless you can prove (beyond all doubt) that the person who wrote you the check intended to defraud you from the onset of the deal. The law treats bounced checks like a breech of contract, and the only recourse for that is in civil court. He's just trying to keep himself from getting ripped off...you can't blame him for that.

hungryhippo
01-16-05, 02:37 PM
thanks for the replies. this is only the second time i've bought a used car. the first time i paid with a personal check, but a bank had the title. i think i will run the idea of him keeping the title until the check clears. that sounds fair for both parties