Cadillac Owners Forum banner

S/C coolant level???

4K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  choigilligan 
#1 · (Edited)
A couple of weeks ago it was pointed out to me that my s/c coolant level was low... I picked up a bottle of the GM coolant and topped it off. Since then, I've added about a quart of coolant to the system. Seems like half the time I check it, I have to add more. There are no signs of leaking anywhere. I have been checking it while warm, cold, running and off...
Could there be an air pocket that hasn't worked it's way out. Are there seals within the cooler that could have blown causing coolant to be injected into the s/c. This is a small reservoir so adding a little at a time would take a few times to fill the system but I'm a bit concerned with why it went low to begin with.

Update, just found on an xlr site the "proper" way to fill the s/c coolant. I am going to fill the coolant at the s/c by removing the cover plate. We'll see if this does the trick.

#4 ·
Either the fill cap or the top of the S/C. The fill cap is the easiest. It is located by the battery.

#22 ·
i mixed a little royal purple purple ice try and keep it running a tad cooler with my dexcool when i upgraded to timmy c heat exchanger and had to put new coolant pump on for supercharger system, took a while to get all the air out, gm service information states to pull cover off top of charger and the cap off the resvoir and fill resvoir until you see it about to run out top of charger, even after doing that and manually cutting the pump on and off i still kept having ot add coolant to mine for a week or so to bleed all the air out.

#23 ·
It doesn't leak. It evaporates I'm pretty sure. The charged air cooling system isn't a sealed/pressurized system that purges air like your regular cooling system (at about 15psi). It is somewhat sealed, but not to the extent of the regular cooling system.

Your intercooler gets VERY hot. Especially for those of you in the southern climates. Pop your hood after driving it. Touch that big black thing on top of the engine with your hand. Chances are you'll burn it. That is where that coolant runs through (in 4 laminer cores).

And can we quit calling it GM coolant. It's Dexcool and more than GM uses it. It was just a proprietary mix developed by GM and Havoline (or maybe Texaco), I forget. G-05 on the market also, is a modified version of Dexcool (for the simplest explanation here, I am not going to get into the exact chemical breakdown between the two), and that is what Chrysler and ford like to use. But the rest of the world uses a Dexcool or similar substitute. Many other brands make suitable Dexcool coolants. You don't need to go to the GM dealer and get specific "GM coolant".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.