: G-Tech or GPS?

Night Wolf
01-15-05, 10:19 PM
I have about $200 to spend on one of these.. I was first going to get a GPS, but then I am thinking about the G-tech....

The GPS, I like because it would give me a very accurate readon of speed and direction and stuff... mostly for things like checking the speedometer on my car... checking top end on the cars, and witht he map software, use it for directions....

but, then agian if it is just speed that I want, I could get a very simple GPS for like $80 or so... or even a used one maybe...

but the G-tech is neat... especially since I am kinda building up the '79 piece by piece... they make 2 models SS and RR, I would be getting the SS version... I think the 1/4, 0-60, hp/torque and tach are really cool to have...

but how hard would it be to swap it between cars? is there alot of settings that would have to be changed? What is evertones opinions on it?

the more i think aobut it, the more I could get away with a simple and cheap new GPS or a used one... I would mostly be using it for speed... as a speedometer...

G-Tech Pro SS:

http://www.gtechpro.com/ss.html

illumina
01-15-05, 10:25 PM
i have the beltronics vector FX g-meter and it seems decent to me. i only paid $100.00 for it at jegs from some b-day money i had laying around.

the beltronics is easy to use in any car as long as they have a cigarette lighter hook-up for it. if you want to use the HP factors, you'll have to calibrate the numbers for each car. you may also have to adjust pitch for acceleration times to be more acurate. my pitch is 2.5 degrees because of the soft suspension on my car (need some upgrades there, know of any?). the factory setting for the g-meter for pitch is 2.0 degrees. other than that, it should be pretty much plug-and-play.

how does the "gps" work?

c5 rv
01-15-05, 10:45 PM
I find having a GPS with me to be very useful. Earlier this week there was a big pileup east of Lansing and I had no trouble negotiating empty back roads to get around it. When I got on the freeway for a short while, the fog was so thick I got off at the next exit - which I could only detect on the GPS screen.

This is the GPS unit I have that can be used in the car and handheld:

http://www.garmin.com/products/quest/

illumina
01-15-05, 10:52 PM
the gps can be used as an accelerometer?

Msilva954
01-15-05, 11:00 PM
I say GPS only because the Gtech will get old quick......it will be fun at first but how often are you actually testing acceleration????......GPS all the way!

Stoneage_Caddy
01-16-05, 01:02 AM
my gps has proved itself very handy today :

We go to events alot , places where you park the car in a sea of other cars and hike like a mile in ....Hearing "remeber we parked in "f" lot.

Today i said to hell with it and grabbed the GPS and got out of the car. Pushed "mark" labeld the spot "car" and went on about our trip. Went into the show (largest RV show in north america). After looking at rvs and myself falling in love with a "TAB" we decided to go on home. Pulled the unit out , reaquired the satellites and pushed "go to" and selceted "car". The whole way out the to car mom was complaing that "the car is over there not out that way ,were going the wrong way". I showed her the display and said "no its 675 feet this way". She didnt belive me. so when we got within the 100 feet mark (still cant see the car). I told her to use the autostart feature on the car. Off in the distance we hear our malibu maxx fire up. She and my dad are sold on this technology now.

Last night We also used it to get directional bearings to set up our home weather station to get proper wind direction readings.

Over the past week and a half i have found so many uses for the little guy i am starting to wonder how much easier it will make life....

Stoneage_Caddy
01-16-05, 01:10 AM
in case your wondering what a TAB camper is heres a link ....

towable by a cadillac deville !

http://www.tab-rv.com/

c5 rv
01-16-05, 10:18 AM
in case your wondering what a TAB camper is heres a link ....

towable by a cadillac deville !

http://www.tab-rv.com/

Too heavy for a CTS, though.

hungryhippo
01-16-05, 01:47 PM
a gtech is fun for a little while, but you need to find a safe, perfectly flat and straight road for it to work correctly. i like to bring my car to the local dragstrip if i need times. i think the gps would be more useful.

Night Wolf
01-16-05, 04:38 PM
yeah, i was thinking the same thing about the G-tech.... it will get old... the only thing i really liked about it was, I could see the improvements, if any, that various mods would do ....

I am gonna go with the GPS.... which are the best models around $200?

davesdeville
01-16-05, 05:05 PM
I say GPS only because the Gtech will get old quick......it will be fun at first but how often are you actually testing acceleration????......GPS all the way!

Exactly. If you want to brag that your 79 runs a 13 flat quarter mile, take it to the strip and get a timeslip. I don't trust someone claiming a GTech time nearly as much as a timeslip.

airbalancer
01-16-05, 05:56 PM
Hey these GPS look kind of neat
I a Dell PDA window 2002CE base , is there GPS I could get for it

davesdeville
01-16-05, 07:37 PM
There are, your PDA probably has a compactflash slot, there are units that interface that for fairly cheap compared to a standalone GPS.

airbalancer
01-16-05, 08:18 PM
There are, your PDA probably has a compactflash slot, there are units that interface that for fairly cheap compared to a standalone GPS.
I do have a cf slot I will have to check it out thanks

Barca10128
01-16-05, 08:43 PM
Hey these GPS look kind of neat
I a Dell PDA window 2002CE base , is there GPS I could get for it

Belkin has one you can get for $140 with software. I have it and it works great.

Barca10128
01-16-05, 08:45 PM
I do have a cf slot I will have to check it out thanks
Do you have bluetooth?

Stoneage_Caddy
01-16-05, 08:56 PM
do yourself a favor night ....get one that is hand held and not a type that has to be fastend to the car ....it comes out ALOT handier

I sprung for that exploirst 200 as you know , and i also spent another 40 bucks to get the kit to mount it in the car when im useing it while drivin ....so 180 total

the PDA type sounds very in teresting but i think youll end up coming in more than your 200 bucks ....200 will buy you a nice unit .....

here is magellans line of gps units , it looks like the explorist , meridan,and sporttrac series all have options under or at 200 bucks .....Since i have magellan is why i mention these im not sure how the other comapnys units work ....
http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/

airbalancer
01-17-05, 07:01 AM
Do you have bluetooth?
No bluetooth, DellX5, Got it Dec 2002 first release