: How it should look.

99GravyTrain
01-15-05, 10:13 PM
well this is what it looks like done right.

http://www.ebipm.net/drmani/car/subs.JPG
and the amp...http://www.ebipm.net/drmani/car/amp.jpg

shredder130
01-17-05, 10:20 AM
not with that equipment :p

shredder130
01-17-05, 10:22 AM
i would take the cap out, just puts more strain on the charging system,but caps sure do look good

99GravyTrain
01-17-05, 11:34 AM
I'll pull the seat back to show the wonderful wiring job. Proud.

Elvis
01-17-05, 05:51 PM
I dunno why people are always bashing Sony car audio equipment.

I put X-plod speakers in my car (because that was the only brand that would fit) and I'm very pleased with them. I didn't put an amp in because I think that the Pioneer head unit I bought was powerful enough, and I don't have a sub-woofer because I didn't want to put in any more dynamat or sacrifice any more trunk space.

But I like Sony.

shredder130
01-17-05, 05:56 PM
hey don't get me wrong i was a die hard fan of sony mobile es components, they sure did know what to name these though :p

davesdeville
01-18-05, 01:25 AM
My friend has 2 Xplod 10s in his car. I haven't got the faintest idea what they sound like, his car's a Saturn and there has to be about 10 times more rattling than bass. From what I can tell they're OK, I have some cheap MTXs that I think sound better, another friend has Volfenhag aluminum cone 10s, they just sound weird.

D148L0
01-18-05, 10:36 AM
i would take the cap out, just puts more strain on the charging system,but caps sure do look good
That is a very common misconception. The strain it adds is insignificant.
I would use in a different setting, though.

D148L0
01-18-05, 10:45 AM
well this is what it looks like done right.

Dude. I am very sorry, but that is not well done. It certanly looks clean (from the front), but once you move it, your amp is partially mounted on top of the spare tire cover and there are no fuses.

99GravyTrain
01-18-05, 07:42 PM
Dude. I am very sorry, but that is not well done. It certanly looks clean (from the front), but once you move it, your amp is partially mounted on top of the spare tire cover and there are no fuses.

Already thought of that, You can slide the spare tire out just by taking out the subs. The amp being on top of the cover means nothing. Plus the fuses are in the dash, so i have no idea what you're talking about there.

I meant the wiring job was well done anyway.

shredder130
01-19-05, 10:14 PM
That is a very common misconception. The strain it adds is insignificant.
I would use in a different setting, though.

wrong, try reading http://www.welcometotheden.8k.com/caraudio/Captest.pdf

D148L0
01-20-05, 11:35 AM
wrong, try reading http://www.welcometotheden.8k.com/caraudio/Captest.pdf

Been there. I'm familiar with that graph (it has been discussed here). It was brought up by a guy that has no idea about audio basics, and was unable to correctly analyze the graph. He kept believing that caps are useless no matter what, since he was uncapable to understand what the author was talking about. I tried my best and couln't make him understand.
I don't do that anymore. I can explain myself, if people get it, good, if not, I don't care. It is not my system, anyway.

So, I am going to write this only once.
The one in your link is an SPL oriented test, where RC takes the amp to its limits. I agree with the results, and they don't contradict my previous statements.
If you re-read my original post, you'll see that I say: "I would use it in a different setting", this means that I would use it NOT as in the system in this thread, but in a SQ oriented system.
Like I have written before:
Caps will not, I repeat, will NOT:
-correct dimming lights or other electrical problems.
-increase real SPL or voltage.
-increase the time you can play music with the engine off.

However, modern caps' internal resistance is so small that the load results insignificant, and they can be used with good results to FILL small current gaps that are normal in a car enviroment in order to provide a flow of energy as smooth and constant as possible to the amp(s).

To give an example, is like those hi-end, $30,000 turntables: they can use 3, 4 motors to make the rotation of the plate as perfect and disturbance-free as possible. A regular turntable uses only one to do the same job. Most likely, the average person will not notice any difference, and may consider the extra motors as a waste of money. Get my point? Same thing here.

Take a look at this site. One of the most useful ones I know to learn the basics:
http://www.bcae1.com/

If you like it and are interested, I'll more than gladly provide you with more useful links.

shredder130
01-20-05, 10:24 PM
i'm very familiar with that site

i would still just upgrade the charging system, big 3, if you have more than sufficient power, wheres the dips to fill

D148L0
01-21-05, 10:18 AM
i'm very familiar with that site

]i would still just upgrade the charging system, big 3, if you have more than sufficient power, wheres the dips to fill
The big 3 have been extensively recommended here. (I agree, they are a must).
If you are familiar with the site, you should be able to answer your own question.
Taken from the site:

"The output voltage of the power supply is not very steady. This variation may be due to some defect in the power supply or from varying current draw from other devices that might be connected to the power supply. "
In other words: the flow of energy is not constant, it has gaps.

"Stiffening capacitors are used as a sort of electrical shock absorber. As voltage starts to rise, the capacitor will absorb energy which will tend to keep the voltage from rising as quickly as it otherwise would. If the voltage starts to fall, the capacitor's stored energy will flow out of the capacitor to try to keep the voltage up. "
In other words: the capacitor helps to fill those gaps.

The big 3 (a MUST for anybody who wants a good upgrade) will not prevent variations in energy flow caused by other devices, but will certainly help to diminish their consequences.

shredder130
01-21-05, 11:05 AM
The big 3 (a MUST for anybody who wants a good upgrade) will not prevent variations in energy flow caused by other devices, but will certainly help to diminish their consequences.

hmm "diminish their consequences" sounds alot like "fixes the problem"

D148L0
01-21-05, 02:21 PM
diminish: makes less
fixes: eliminates
But hey, as I said, whatever makes you happy.
I'm out.

shredder130
01-21-05, 08:20 PM
hey take it easy, i was giving you a hard time, but i still stand by what i said :bouncy:

Guinness4h2o
01-22-05, 08:27 PM
No you silly child, this is how it should look! :D That's the trunk of my '80 Coupe deVille! :thumbsup: (I have the same screen name on Cardomain.com, in case you want to stop by and sign my guestbook.) That's four, count 'em, four Infinity 120.3dvc 12" subwoofers powered by two Kenwood KAC-X810D amplifiers (1600 watts max each). Notice how the glass over the amp rack says "Coupe deVille" in the Cadillac script. :yup:

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/9/web/609000-609999/609932_32_full.jpg

99GravyTrain
01-22-05, 08:45 PM
nice avatar. I havnt the money to customize it that much anyway. At 16 and you have a job in the summer only, its hard to come up with cash legally.

Guinness4h2o
01-22-05, 08:56 PM
Dude, I'm a college student, I'm broke 24/7-365. The only reason I have a set up like that is because I bought most of the stuff on eBay (paid like 1/4 what it would've been retail), and I know people that can get me set up for these things at a discount. My motto is "I GOT IT 4 CHEAP!", which is true...I don't remember the last time I paid the real price for anything like a stereo or rims or whatever. Just shop around, you'd be surprised what you can get.:D

99GravyTrain
01-22-05, 09:07 PM
plexi is pretty spencive

D148L0
01-23-05, 03:08 PM
Guinness, nice system.

99Gravy, don't despair. As he said, you can shop around. And most importantly, looks are not the most important thing, sound is. I'm done with exhibition systems, all what I want now is the best sound possible. I'll post a pic of my setup so you can see what I mean. Nothing fancy, no more plexi or custom enclosures. But you wouldn't believe your ears...
So keep improving your stuff, man.

99GravyTrain
01-23-05, 08:30 PM
sounds great on the inside. My 6 by 9 rears are about to rip so i will have to replace those. Im very impressed with xplod so i will probably go with those again.