: Roll Call: Oklahomans, please check in...

thebigjimsho
05-21-13, 08:52 AM
Just want to see how our friends in OK are doing and hope they're safe...

MrHolland
05-21-13, 09:42 AM
I've spoken with my people there and they're all present and accounted for. Heartbreaking to see the pics and vids of what was left. I can't imagine losing everything that took years to accumulate in seconds... People in Cali have earthquakes, people on the south and east coasts have hurricanes, we in the midwest have some of the greatest tornadoes in the world.

My heart goes out to those affected..

---Thank you for the thought Mr.Sho

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-13, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I cannot grasp how insane that destruction was. I've heard that it may be the worst tornado in Oklahoma's history, even worse than the infamous May 3rd 1999 tornado. A tornado that hit the same area and was a confirmed EF-5. I work with a girl who lived through that twister and she said living up here is SO much nicer than OK.....not having to spend half your spring in a storm shelter is great.

Here's a great video that shows the tornado from the moment it touched down, it's entire path, until the moment it retreated back into the sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jAg9_s2UCI&feature=player_embedded

thebigjimsho
05-21-13, 10:41 AM
I've spoken with my people there and they're all present and accounted for. Heartbreaking to see the pics and vids of what was left. I can't imagine losing everything that took years to accumulate in seconds... People in Cali have earthquakes, people on the south and east coasts have hurricanes, we in the midwest have some of the greatest tornadoes in the world.

My heart goes out to those affected..

---Thank you for the thought Mr.Sho

The Northeast has snow, but that's easy to deal with. And fun. Hurricanes are rare. And for New England, that much more rare. Having a tornado that killed 4 a couple of years ago is almost unheard of...

talismandave
05-21-13, 11:44 AM
Amazing footage. What is so odd is how long this one stayed on the ground. Such a long path of destruction.
Great idea for a thread Jim, I was wondering how everyone was too.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-21-13, 12:37 PM
Yeah, on the local weather report last night, the meteorologist said that if that same twister touched down in the Twin Cities, it would cut a swath all the way across the metro area. Hearing that really put into my mind how devastating it was. I'm watching the Weather Channel right now and they're saying there's a 60% chance of tornadoes again in this area.

This tornado really reminds me of the one that hit Joplin, MO a few years ago.

Submariner409
05-21-13, 12:59 PM
Two good friends live, fortunately, in the "right part" of Oklahoma yesterday.

thebigjimsho
05-21-13, 01:06 PM
Two good friends live, fortunately, in the "right part" of Oklahoma yesterday.

Yeah, I've been talking to my friends in Tulsa today...

EcSTSatic
05-21-13, 01:44 PM
That is just a terrible place for tornadoes. We were coming back from San Antonio maybe a couple years ago and had to stop and stay the night near Norman OK while tornadoes terrorized I35 north of us.
We had one hit near the airport in Wichita just the other day. We got quarter size hail at the house

Jesda
05-22-13, 06:41 AM
That is just a terrible place for tornadoes. We were coming back from San Antonio maybe a couple years ago and had to stop and stay the night near Norman OK while tornadoes terrorized I35 north of us.
We had one hit near the airport in Wichita just the other day. We got quarter size hail at the house

Had a similar encounter this weekend. Twisters in DFW as I headed down 35, then twisters in OKC as I headed north. Decided to head east to Little Rock then north to St Louis.

talismandave
06-01-13, 09:20 AM
...Bump:(

MrHolland
06-02-13, 10:27 AM
My people made it through again!!!

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 07:39 AM
Craziness...

gdwriter
06-04-13, 03:24 AM
I grew up in Tornado Alley and got the hell out of Dodge as fast as I could (for multiple reasons). Spending my 17th birthday under a mattress with my girlfriend* with sirens wailing and impending doom was not my idea of a good time.

Happily, I now live in an area where a natural disaster (http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2011/05/01/weekinreview/01safe.html?hp&_r=0) is very unlikely.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2011/05/01/weekinreview/01safe/01safe-custom1.gif

*OK, my parents and little sister were under the mattress with us, too, so it doesn't really count.

CadillacLuke24
06-04-13, 05:53 PM
I like the disclaimer Gary :D

I like Wyoming for the same reason. The weather is predictable in that its unpredictability is generally never life threatening.

orconn
06-04-13, 07:30 PM
While the map doesn't really show it , tornadoes, earthquakes and hurricanes all make their selves known in the state. Flooding, heat and humidity are yearly happenings and we even have forest fires!

When I moved here from California many years back I thought I was escaping all the natural disasters for which California is justifiably renown. When you add in the lousy food which the natives seem impressed with and one wonders why you would live here. On the bright side, while taxes are not the lowest in the land, they are much lower than the Golden State. We also have three good seasons, with Spring and Fall being spectacular. It is also, in Winter, often not much colder than California too.

I hear Oregon is very nice, if you can get over the congested dog and bike trails and its' distance from anywhere where things are happening!

talismandave
06-04-13, 11:23 PM
While we get our share of tornado action in WI they are so confined in their area and path of destruction that I have never been concerned about them. Even the big one in 1984 that leveled the town of Barnaveld WI was about a half mile long by a several hundred feet wide. If you lived a half mile either side of it you were fine. I was out bar hopping that night and about 10 minutes after it tore down Barnaveld it passed right over me as just a bad thunderstorm. Most touch down in a field and bother nobody.
That was what made the OK one so unusual the long and wide path was much more like a Hurricane in scope of destruction.