: Tie rod choice

cashmereDTS
05-21-13, 12:32 AM
Hi all.
Just wondering if anyone has these on their lade and if so, how are they?
Thanks
http://store.sevensaturdays.com/rpi-rp28723.html

mikedyk43
05-21-13, 01:30 AM
They have a pretty compelling little story there about how bad the OEM tie rods are. It almost makes me want to buy their product. Of course, my Escalade just turned 100k miles and I went through the entire suspension and replaced front and rear bushings and bearings. Front ball joints were replaced as well as the pitman and idler arms. I also had to tighten up the steering gear. To my surprise, the original tie rods had no play at all and did not get changed. So my truck now rides and steers as solid as a rock with 100k miles on the original tie rods. I can't imagine these tie rods really being necessary unless you are really thrashing on your truck. Just my 2.

cashmereDTS
05-21-13, 12:57 PM
Hi mikedyk43.

I see what you're saying. I'm fairly careful with how I drive, generally speaking, but I do run 20's from May to the end of October and the roads in my neck of the woods are not the greatest (lots of pot holes) not to mention that i haul a 3000 to 5000 pound trailor around two or three times for 8 hours at a time, every two weeks or so. The outer tie rod on the passanger side has no play in it but has a hole in the bladder and should get replaced. The drivers side outer tie rod is solid but is not sitting flat hence grease is seaping out. This may be because the inner tie rod on the drivers side has play (which should get replaced) or because it's bent.

You are correct. Their story is compelling but the tie rods on gm trucks and suv's of this generation seem to be a known issue (depending what you are doing with your truck lol). There are many conversations all over the net in different forums where guys are talking about the factory OEM tie rods failing time and time again. I just figured if I was going to replace the inner and outer tie rods on both sides anyways, for $100 more, I could get a much beefed up set up. (keeping in mind i'm thinking of going this route over stock replacements because of my situation; 20's for half the year, poor roads and hauling the trailor). Although my lade is an 04, it only has 107 000 km (66 875 miles). For that reason, I believe all the parts in the front end are probably original and will have to be replaced at some point in the near future because of my situation.

mikedyk43
05-21-13, 08:56 PM
Don't get wrong, my situation is not necessarily what others are experiencing and it may very well be worth the piece of mind to spend a little more and know that you won't have problems. By the way, mine also has factory 20s since I've owned it.