: 1983 Coupe deVille

CoupeDevilleRob
01-15-05, 07:06 PM
This car's best attributes are probably the ride and handling. Only the most severe road defects upset the smooth as glass ride and it handles suprisingly well for such a big car. The steering is super light, like the wheel isn't connected to anything. I personally love making one finger u-turns. The brakes aren't so great, don't go that fast (not that you even could) and make sure to leave plenty of stopping distance.

It's exterior styling is a strong point too. I think these are among the best looking Cadillacs. The interior is, as you would expect, very comfortable. My friend's actually fight over who gets to sit in back, they say it's like driving around on your living room couch.

Fuel economy isn't too bad either, about 16 or 17 in the city, about 26 or 27 on the highway. Speaking of highway driving, this car is great on long trips, you just glide along and relax.

And now for performance. The car well, uh, moves under its own power. It's not so slow that you will get killed trying to merge onto a highway, but don't even try to race anyone, you'll embarass yourself. The HT 4100, for all the horror stories you may have heard, has been trouble free in my car.

leftoverture
07-05-05, 06:38 AM
I agree that the body style of the 83 Coupe is beautiful. Mine, being all white with the white leather interior is especially classy. I wish the car had more steering feel, but that would be out of character for the time period. The days of the big rear drive "land yacht" Cadillac is gone forever now, so this car is truly a collector item.

Roadside
07-29-05, 02:13 PM
I just picked up a 1983 Coupe Deville "Patriot Edition"

Do you guys know anything about "Patriot Edition"?

I am new at the site any info would be great

The Ape Man
07-29-05, 07:45 PM
I agree that the body style of the 83 Coupe is beautiful. Mine, being all white with the white leather interior is especially classy. I wish the car had more steering feel, but that would be out of character for the time period. The days of the big rear drive "land yacht" Cadillac is gone forever now, so this car is truly a collector item.

2 things that will increase steering feedback: Replace your steering box with one from a Fleetwood which has 2-1/2 turns lock to lock istead of the 3-1/4 that you have now. '82 to ?? Trans Am boxes will work also just swap the pitman arm. Next, find an alignment shop that will do work to your specification. Have them increase the caster to as much as they can get and still have both sides even or at least the LH caster only 1/2 degree less than the RH. Usually this will be aroung the high 5 to 6 degree range. This was done on certain GM "performance" cars such as the Pontiac Grand Am and CHVY Monte Carlo. Your Cadillac will drive more like a slot car.
On to the ride benifits of a heavier engine under the hood next installment.......

Dclajason
02-02-13, 07:53 PM
Does anyone know a way to buy faux wood replacement parts online? The faux wood strips on the doors. I've been unable to find online. Thank you!