: caring for a SIM 'coach' roof on a 2010 DTS

reedmtn
05-20-13, 05:32 PM
I am the new owner of a beautiful 2010 DTS, my 3rd and most comfortable caddie. This vehicle has a tan cloth "Coach" roof. I need any and all advice on how to care for it, what to NOT DO and what to do, what products to use etc. I live in CO and FL which means plenty of sunshine and both ice/snow and heat/humidity. Any advice on how to keep this roof protected will be welcome!

MoistCabbage
05-20-13, 06:39 PM
Wash it the same way you wash the rest of the car, and don't use any convertible top treatments, especially any that water proof the material.

There really isn't any special treatment or care necessary, cloth tops are very durable.

reedmtn
05-20-13, 11:51 PM
Thanks, but how about a protectant for UV and sun damage or dirt and dust particles. Oddly, Cadillace has no recommendations and did suggest a water resistant product, thus my confusion.

MoistCabbage
05-21-13, 12:34 AM
Cadillac has no recommendations because the roofs are after market.

It's NOT a convertible top, is not, and should not be water proof. The material is a sandwich of the cloth you see, a thin layer of foam, and a very thin rubber membrane, with adhesive between the 3 layers. If the top can't breathe, and water (or chemicals) get trapped and deteriorates the foam or adhesive over time, it all delaminates.

I wouldn't recommend any protectants, especially on lighter colors. There's no need to protect it from dirt and dust, and the material itself can stand up to the sun for a very long time (my car spent the first 9 years of its life in Florida, ungaraged, and now 3 years in New England, ungaraged. It goes through automatic car washes all winter long. The black roof fading or deterioration at all).

The weak link is usually the binding and stitching around the edges, which most newer tops don't even have.

If you feel you HAVE to spray something on it, don't use a water proofer or "conditioner".

reedmtn
05-21-13, 09:44 AM
Thanks. You just saved my top, as I was going to purchase a product that was suggested, but turns out may have ruined it. You were my saving grace!

ronm01
06-18-13, 01:16 AM
I am the new owner of a beautiful 2010 DTS, my 3rd and most comfortable caddie. This vehicle has a tan cloth "Coach" roof. I need any and all advice on how to care for it, what to NOT DO and what to do, what products to use etc. I live in CO and FL which means plenty of sunshine and both ice/snow and heat/humidity. Any advice on how to keep this roof protected will be welcome!

reedmtn, congrats on your latest acquisition! You mention that your coach cloth top is tan. What is the paint color of your latest beauty? Have you posted photos? For one, I'd like to see your 2010. Good luck with the bra & the DTS!

(I haven't been so taken by the purchase of a car since I can't remember when, but my Caddy has become a true source of pride... as I'm sure is the case with most Caddy owners. :thumbsup:)

TopherS
06-18-13, 12:53 PM
I wouldn't recommend any protectants, especially on lighter colors.

I have a black cloth top on mine...is there something I should do with it to protect from fading? I am not sure that my top is at the most risk...I live in the rainy Pacific NorthWET, so sun is not as much an issue as rain would be. I also park in the garage when at home...but it is out/exposed during work (daytime) hours. I've had a number of cars over the years with vinyl roof...but this is my first cloth-top. I just want to make sure that I protect it...if it needs protection...or that I leave it alone if that's what it needs.

And reedmt...I, too, would love to see your DTS. I've never been that much of a follower of cloth-tops, but now that I have one, I've become infatuated with them. I saw a white DTS with a white cloth-top yesterday...it was beautiful. My 2008 DTS is black with a black top. Cheers!

reedmtn
06-18-13, 04:44 PM
Beautiful car! I need to post a Pic. Mine is white Diamond with tan cloth roof and gold emblaming. DO NOT PUT ANYTHING on the roof. If its a sim roof which it clearly looks like it is....do nothing. Read the replies I got previously. They were correct and it has been verified by a dealer in TX that does a lot with this style on Caddies. These roofs need only a slight soapy washing with sponge or just routing...brushless.....car washing. Be careful of any high power rinse as the high power wnds can damage them. Keep the wand on low power or at min. 3ft distance. You will want to hang onto that ride...its gorgeous!

MoistCabbage
06-18-13, 10:06 PM
:yeah:

Nope, just pretend it isn't there. Cloth roofs tend to last even longer than vinyl ones.

TopherS
06-19-13, 12:34 AM
Cheers. Thanks a lot, guys!!!

ronm01
06-19-13, 03:36 AM
TopherS, beautiful black-on-black! Looks like showroom new. I'll bet you get quite a few double-takes while gliding along the avenue in this baby. Congrats!

reedmtn
06-19-13, 12:47 PM
0518131757.jpg Heres a photo of my white dolphin.

TopherS
06-19-13, 02:47 PM
Thanks! I've gotten as many compliments on this one than I got on my 1987 Brougham d'Elegance...which was in very, very good condition. I'll be taking it on a 4000+mile trip soon...can't wait.

Reedmtn...your pic didn't come through that time. Can't wait to see it.

reedmtn
06-19-13, 05:43 PM
Explain to me how you put your pic on....my computer tells me the photo is too large and for the life of me, I cant figure out how to load photos onto this forum?

Superjim
06-19-13, 06:12 PM
Explain to me how you put your pic on....my computer tells me the photo is too large and for the life of me, I cant figure out how to load photos onto this forum?

I use a free Photobucket account...
Upload the full sized pic to Photobucket... Then just link to it...
Like this...
http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/superjim1944/June-July%202012%20Trip/Day%2011/20120707_112245.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/superjim1944/media/June-July%202012%20Trip/Day%2011/20120707_112245.jpg.html)

reedmtn
06-19-13, 07:51 PM
Another try

reedmtn
06-19-13, 09:11 PM
118298 Thanks to a talented wife here she is...our "Dolphin". Kind of the exact sister to your vehicle. Found her in Orlando. 2010 DTS with everything it could have. Traded a beautiful red tint coat STS in for her. Well worth the trade. The DTS is the real Cadillac. It's unfortunate that it is the last of the true Cadillac luxury line.

ronm01
06-19-13, 09:40 PM
reedmtn, you have a real gem! She is a pleasure to the eye. The chrome wheel well covers fit extremely well with your overall color scheme. I believe that your white paint is more suitable for these chrome covers than my Tuscan Bronze paint. The tan coach roof combines to make the luxurious color scheme complete. I suggest that you (if you haven't already) post this photo in the Stickied thread, "Show us your ride" at the top of the DTS page. Congratulations, and thank you for posting this photo of your magnificent Cadillac.

TopherS
06-20-13, 03:49 PM
reedmtn... Wow! Beautiful! :thumbsup:

I find it interesting the subtle differences in the designs of the roof. Mostly, they are the same, but on your rear door, the roof covering follows the angle of the triangle-shaped window...whereas on mine, the trailing edge and part of that angle of that window is covered, making the window appear smaller and shaped slightly differently. Also, my Cadillac emblem is applied to that bit on the window, as opposed to being applied to the C-pillar; like yours.

I've posted a pic of a different angle of mine...in it, you can barely see the driver-side C-pillar (grey) and the inside of the roof covering that blacks out the window. In that, you can see the difference in the angle of the window and the roof covering.

I told you I was fanatical...:)

Oh, and I'm loving the extra chrome-y bits on yours.

keithwright1
03-16-14, 07:49 PM
Thanks...you saved me from waterproofing the tan cloth roof on my 2007 DTS. I assume from the comments about other models, that there is nothing to do except to keep it clean and out of the sun if possible?

MoistCabbage
03-16-14, 08:03 PM
Don't worry too much about the sun. My car spent the first 9 years of its life in Clearwater Florida, and there's no fade.

----------

Actually, I can show you that there's no fade. My rear window needed to be replaced, and my insurance company wouldn't pay for my preferred shop to do the work. The shop they chose butchered it, and the material is now being replaced. Here's the new material up against the (dirty) original:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/moistcabbage/EF705D12-88C2-41FE-A682-DFF18F5E4FC1_zps42bdmwfw.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/moistcabbage/media/EF705D12-88C2-41FE-A682-DFF18F5E4FC1_zps42bdmwfw.jpg.html)

The original diamond pattern is no longer available, and the new one looks slightly different only because it's a different texture. But there is no actual color difference whatsoever in person.

Here's another I took to show some of the poor reinstalation. You can see the material is still very black:

http://i1130.photobucket.com/albums/m538/moistcabbage/CF674C43-8D94-4B92-B348-436CFA9F93A5_zps1u87lfrh.jpg (http://s1130.photobucket.com/user/moistcabbage/media/CF674C43-8D94-4B92-B348-436CFA9F93A5_zps1u87lfrh.jpg.html)

wastingjake
03-17-14, 11:08 AM
WOW.... Do you have any more pictures of this beautiful DTS?! :D