: Bad Timing for Onstar

jghiller
05-20-13, 12:46 PM
Nearing the end of my first year of free D&C plan and for the first time I called Onstar to get directions downloaded to my car(NAV). Called once and they said directions will be sent; called second time to find out why no directions downloaded. They saw the previous request and said it would be downloaded again. And again no directions sent to car. Sure looking like Safe and Sound is where I am headed for the coming year.

tinman
05-20-13, 02:16 PM
Never had Onstar subscription. Now I really want it! Nice action on their part.

OnStar Advisor
05-20-13, 02:16 PM
jghiller,

Sorry to hear about your experience with OnStar directions. I would like to research what happened and ensure everything is properly connected. Can you please send me a PM with the details and your account information. Thanks!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

jghiller
05-20-13, 05:29 PM
Jessica - tried to send PM. You need to clean out your message queue - no room to receive my message at your end.

jghiller

OnStar Advisor
05-20-13, 05:56 PM
Jessica - tried to send PM. You need to clean out your message queue - no room to receive my message at your end.

jghiller

jghiller,

Sorry about that, while I work to get this resolved can you send me your information here instead? http://bit.ly/10XAM43

I will review your account and contact you on Tuesday. Thanks!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

jghiller
05-20-13, 09:55 PM
[QUOTE=OnStar Advisor;3338690]jghiller,

Sorry about that, while I work to get this resolved can you send me your information here instead? http://bit.ly/10XAM43

Jessica,

I have called Onstar a few times to get directions sent to my NAV. Primarily this was done because Mapquest service was sending directions to my Turn by Turn instead of my NAV. Never had a problem getting directions sent. Just had problems getting them sent to NAV. As I recall the directions came immediately before I could do anything. So hanging up the call didnt enter into the process.
Yesterdays calls - The initial call went fine and I was told the directions would be sent. I then hung up the connection. Nothing happened. I called a second time and explained that I hadnt gotten the directions from first call. Onstar advisor saw the direction request in my 'queue' and said they would be sent. Dont recall if I hung up again. Probably did. No instructions to do anything specific were given by either Onstar rep.
I called Onstar today(next day) to find out what was happening and why this wasnt working. Onstar rep said to make sure I dont end the call. That was the reason I wasnt getting the directions downloaded.
As I said, in previous requests I didnt remember having to decide whether to end the call or just wait, or if I was told to just wait for the download and do nothing. Downloads began quickly so there was nothing for me to do. Yesterdays problems were a kind of timing issue. I had time to act(hang up), before directions came. All other calls had directions sent quickly before I could do anything.
Maybe something the reps should remember to tell users - dont touch anything - download will start shortly and it will end the call when directions are downloaded. And DONT HANG UP. Although you would think the system would retry the download but I guess it doesnt. From what I remember in past downloads, I think the rep explained the process in more detail. Yesterdays calls the rep just went off the line and nothing happened, leaving me to guess what to do next.
Thats the story.

jghiller/John Hiller

tinman
05-21-13, 08:21 AM
It's all about customer no-service.

kapones
05-21-13, 10:57 AM
And I wasn't a big fan when they started to add the script to the beginning of the call, asking you if you wanted to speak to a live operator. Of course I do. Glad they got rid of that.

OnStar Advisor
05-21-13, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=OnStar Advisor;3338690]jghiller,

Jessica,

I have called Onstar a few times to get directions sent to my NAV. Primarily this was done because Mapquest service was sending directions to my Turn by Turn instead of my NAV. Never had a problem getting directions sent. Just had problems getting them sent to NAV. As I recall the directions came immediately before I could do anything. So hanging up the call didnt enter into the process.
Yesterdays calls - The initial call went fine and I was told the directions would be sent. I then hung up the connection. Nothing happened. I called a second time and explained that I hadnt gotten the directions from first call. Onstar advisor saw the direction request in my 'queue' and said they would be sent. Dont recall if I hung up again. Probably did. No instructions to do anything specific were given by either Onstar rep.
I called Onstar today(next day) to find out what was happening and why this wasnt working. Onstar rep said to make sure I dont end the call. That was the reason I wasnt getting the directions downloaded.
As I said, in previous requests I didnt remember having to decide whether to end the call or just wait, or if I was told to just wait for the download and do nothing. Downloads began quickly so there was nothing for me to do. Yesterdays problems were a kind of timing issue. I had time to act(hang up), before directions came. All other calls had directions sent quickly before I could do anything.
Maybe something the reps should remember to tell users - dont touch anything - download will start shortly and it will end the call when directions are downloaded. And DONT HANG UP. Although you would think the system would retry the download but I guess it doesnt. From what I remember in past downloads, I think the rep explained the process in more detail. Yesterdays calls the rep just went off the line and nothing happened, leaving me to guess what to do next.
Thats the story.

jghiller/John Hiller

jghiller,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention John! I’m sorry that happened and I will be sure to pass this along. We are always looking for ways to improve your experience with OnStar and we appreciate the feedback from our subscribers. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

jghiller
05-22-13, 12:07 AM
Jessica,

What should have happened? Is it correct that by me hanging up I lost the download? It doesnt retry if this is done? Should the Onstar rep have told me to leave the line open for the download?

OnStar Advisor
05-22-13, 09:37 AM
John,

While speaking to an advisor via the OnStar button there is a direct connection to send signals to the vehicle. Once located, the advisor will send directions to the vehicle and should have mentioned not press any of the OnStar buttons at that time. Pressing the button on your end disconnects the call and stops the direct download connection. I have passed along the information to ensure proper expectations are set during these calls. I appreciate you letting us know about this so we can continue to improve all aspects of the business. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

C "T" ess
05-22-13, 01:45 PM
I've said this before; I had a heart attack while driving, when I pushed the OnStar button they took care of everything to get me the care I needed.I'm an OnStar customer for life.

tinman
05-22-13, 01:50 PM
I've said this before; I had a heart attack while driving, when I pushed the OnStar button they took care of everything to get me the care I needed.I'm an OnStar customer for life.

I would be, too.

OnStar Advisor
05-22-13, 02:42 PM

C "T" ess,

I'm so glad that we were there for you during your time of need and that you are okay! We'd love to speak with your further about your story and possibly feature it on our blog, OnStar Connections. Would you be willing to share your story at this link? http://bit.ly/YhHdAk Thanks, hope to hear from you soon!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

Z71
05-23-13, 11:58 AM
I would like to have onstar in my CTS but I only drive the car for 1/2 the year (not in winter) . I tried in the past to see if I could do this but they only way was monthly and the onus was on me to stop the service but that was not as easy as your would think, they kept passing me off to someone who tried to convince to keep it on a car parked in storage. I got so frustrated I never signed up again. Then they told me I was too late and I was already billed for the month I and I could not get a refund. I had to call before a certain unknown date to cancel to keep from being charged for a month of storage.

OnStar Advisor
05-23-13, 01:18 PM
I would like to have onstar in my CTS but I only drive the car for 1/2 the year (not in winter) . I tried in the past to see if I could do this but they only way was monthly and the onus was on me to stop the service but that was not as easy as your would think, they kept passing me off to someone who tried to convince to keep it on a car parked in storage. I got so frustrated I never signed up again. Then they told me I was too late and I was already billed for the month I and I could not get a refund. I had to call before a certain unknown date to cancel to keep from being charged for a month of storage.

Sorry to hear about your experience with OnStar. We understand that not every situation is the same and are always working to improve our services to our customers. If you have an active subscription and would like to temporarily suspend your services for seasonal storage we can work with you to see what is available. If you have any questions or would like to discuss this further please send me more info here http://bit.ly/10XAM43. I hope this helps.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

jghiller
05-29-13, 11:34 PM
Well I didnt know this - w/o Directions and Connections you cannot use any app - mobile or via Mapquest, etc., to send directions to your NAV system. Knew about losing Turn by Turn but there is no distinction made when trying to send to the NAV; so all directions have to be entered directly on the NAV. Not a fair restriction IMO.

And to boot as has been posted elsewhere - had to buy 60 minutes for $5 to add to and rollover existing minutes w/o losing all minutes.

PJL
05-30-13, 10:39 AM
And to boot as has been posted elsewhere - had to buy 60 minutes for $5 to add to and rollover existing minutes w/o losing all minutes.
Every year I just call them up and ask them to extend our minutes as a courtesy, and they do it with no questions asked. I've been doing that for five years.

dreiloft
05-30-13, 02:43 PM
Well I didnt know this - w/o Directions and Connections you cannot use any app - mobile or via Mapquest, etc., to send directions to your NAV system. Knew about losing Turn by Turn but there is no distinction made when trying to send to the NAV; so all directions have to be entered directly on the NAV. Not a fair restriction IMO.

Also starting the car. I let mine expire three months ago and enter directions manually. Figured it was more cost effective paid approx $1000 for the NAV system, why pay an additional $300.00 just to send directions to the car via the app, which was the only service I used.

BTW I received this email offer the other day from OnStar. It is really a good deal, cheaper than the whole year and 60 minutes of calling. Didn't do though.

Get off the beaten path with the confidence that OnStar1 can make your summer drives a little smoother—whether it's turn-by-turn directions to help you locate those hard-to-find attractions, or location-based roadside assistance to get help fast when you're away from home. And with Hands-Free Calling minutes, you can stay connected with no worries about dead zones or cell phone bans.

The OnStar Summer Pass gives you three months of Directions & Connections—which includes the full suite of OnStar services—plus 60 Hands-Free Calling minutes, for just $44.95, with no ongoing commitment.2

The OnStar Directions & Connections service plan includes:
• Emergency services, including Automatic Crash Response, for help when you need it most
• The security and convenience of Roadside Assistance and Remote Door Unlock
• Turn-by-Turn Navigation for directions at the touch of a button
• The ability to continue conversations wherever you roam, with Hands-Free Calling
• Unmatched vehicle Diagnostics services including monthly email reports and real-time diagnostics checks

Plans & Services | Privacy Statement
facebook.com/onstar twitter.com/onstar onstarconnections.com onstar.com
Visit onstar.com for details and system limitations. OnStar acts as a link to existing emergency service providers. Services vary by model and conditions.
Offer only eligible on OnStar-equipped vehicles with an inactive OnStar system. Offer includes three months of Directions & Connections service and 60 Hands-Free Calling minutes. Offer available through 7/24/13 only. Limit one 3-month package per subscriber. No obligation. Not compatible with any other OnStar offer. Plus applicable taxes, governmental surcharges & fees. Credit card payment required.
If you are deaf, hard of hearing, or speech impaired, you may now use the dedicated TTY connection to call us toll-free at 1.877.248.2080, or email us at TTY@onstar.com for assistance or with questions regarding your OnStar account.

C "T" ess
05-31-13, 12:15 PM
I got 100 minutes free and they do not expire.

jghiller
05-31-13, 02:48 PM
Then Onstar has become like XM - deal making and costs dependent on who you talk to. Official deal is minutes expire at contract/plan end unless additional ones purchased.

tinman
05-31-13, 02:55 PM
^^Exactly what I had been thinking. Another whore deal.

OnStar Advisor
05-31-13, 03:00 PM
Then Onstar has become like XM - deal making and costs dependent on who you talk to. Official deal is minutes expire at contract/plan end unless additional ones purchased.

I just wanted to clarify, the Hands Free Calling minutes have a separate expiration date from your subscription. The minutes are available as long as your OnStar is active OR until they reach the expiration date, whichever comes first. You can purchase another bundle to rollover or extend any remaining minutes before the expiration date, we usually have a promotional 30 minute bundle available. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

tinman
05-31-13, 04:06 PM
Bought my car used from Caddy dealer and was never offered anything to do with Onstar. From what I have read here I really don't want anything to do with Onstar. Other than the experience
C"T"ess had I am less than impressed. And as I said before, under his circumstances I would "never not have" Onstar.

jghiller
06-01-13, 05:22 AM
I just wanted to clarify, the Hands Free Calling minutes have a separate expiration date from your subscription. The minutes are available as long as your OnStar is active OR until they reach the expiration date, whichever comes first. You can purchase another bundle to rollover or extend any remaining minutes before the expiration date, we usually have a promotional 30 minute bundle available. Let me know if you have any additional questions.

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team

So if I understand your post, I do have to purchase minutes in order to rollover existing minutes prior to expiration. Not required in previous years. As when I started my D&C first year free plan in May 2012 with my new CTS, I rolled over minutes I had in the plan that expired when I purchased my new CTS.

OnStar Advisor
06-03-13, 01:27 PM
So if I understand your post, I do have to purchase minutes in order to rollover existing minutes prior to expiration. Not required in previous years. As when I started my D&C first year free plan in May 2012 with my new CTS, I rolled over minutes I had in the plan that expired when I purchased my new CTS.

Yes, it is required to purchase additional minutes to extend the expiration date on any remaining minutes. They should have a full year before expiring and minutes can be transferred to a new vehicle. In your case, I would be happy to review your account and see if there is anything I can do to better assist. Can you please send me additional information here: http://bit.ly/10XAM43. Thanks!

-Jessica, OnStar Advisor
Social Media Team