: Break In Period

RemaxAl
05-20-13, 09:58 AM
First of all great forum. I've learned a lot about my ATS since picking it up April 29. I had the rear main seal replaced and had a few small issues. However, I love this car! First time in years I've just went for cruise in the evening. This machine is exciting to drive. I have the 2.0 T AWD Luxury with Nav and Sunroof. I have yet to really hammer on it and push it. I'm new to small performance motors with turbos etc. I have just over 2000 KM/1200M on it. How long before you would give it a proper work out? I'm also running 94 octane gas, overkill?

AL :cool:

Pete7874
05-20-13, 10:33 AM
At 1200 miles, I'd say you're already past most of the break-in.

Even during break-in, I wouldn't necessarily baby the engine. The key is to avoid lugging or driving at constant RPM for extended periods (hence: no use of cruise control).

bluhaven
05-20-13, 11:04 AM
Drive it like you stole it, enjoy the car.

Kevin

romanats
05-20-13, 11:45 AM
drive it like you stole it LOL you might get pulled over for that

miguelius
05-22-13, 02:27 AM
The owner's manual recommends not driving above 4,000 RPM for the first 1,500 miles. I have been trying to observe that limit, but once in a while I have exceeded it by a few hundred RPM. Although my car feels pretty well broken in at 800 miles, I figure that Cadilac should know what they're talking about. Feels kind of like waiting until marriage before having sex.:bouncy:

RemaxAl
05-22-13, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the advice. Took the ATS for a good run yesterday. Very impressed I don't believe we will win any races but I love the even smooth power and I don't think I've owned a vehicle with better handling. Came off the highway and 140k was able to stop at the lights. Took it along a winding road and ATS just grips the road. This car is going to be fun, a real sleeper.

AL