: Clutch in '04 is starting to shudder?

roachjr
05-20-13, 10:00 AM
So I'm guessing it's time for a new clutch. My '04 has started to shudder when releasing the clutch in first gear. Also down shifting into 4th it will grind every now and then. Other times it doesn't want to down shift into third or first without releasing and the clutch a couple of times then trying again. Is this the clutch or slave cylinder? Clutch seems to be holding fine and haven't noticed any slipping.
Where's the best/cheapest place to get an LS7 clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder? Isn't that what everyone recommends to put back in these cars?
-Thanks in advance!

roachjr
05-20-13, 11:45 PM
Anyone??

darkman
05-20-13, 11:53 PM
I would check the clutch fluid before declaring the clutch dead - particularly if it is not slipping.

Try Luke at Lindsay Cadillac for a complete LS7 kit.

roachjr
05-21-13, 12:14 AM
Fluid is good. Guess I'll just call him and see what he thinks and go ahead and price one. Thanks

carsaremytoys
05-21-13, 12:52 AM
The clutch in my DD chatters a lot when engaging first, the colder the temp the worse it is. It is a 91 honda with 160k and the original clutch though. It still hasn't slipped me in 20k miles though. I also blew the hard clutch line, so it has new and plenty of fluid. I'm wondering if the slave is bad...

philistine
05-22-13, 08:43 PM
So I'm guessing it's time for a new clutch. My '04 has started to shudder when releasing the clutch in first gear. Also down shifting into 4th it will grind every now and then. Other times it doesn't want to down shift into third or first without releasing and the clutch a couple of times then trying again. Is this the clutch or slave cylinder? Clutch seems to be holding fine and haven't noticed any slipping.
Where's the best/cheapest place to get an LS7 clutch/flywheel/slave cylinder? Isn't that what everyone recommends to put back in these cars?
-Thanks in advance!

Not sure if it is your clutch that is the problem from your description. Grinding sounds like a slave cylinder problem. My stock clutch is on its way out and the noticeable signs are shudder in 1st and 2nd...a little in 4th and slipping along the way. It slips so bad now that I cannot use it as a DD until I get a new one. I first noticed mine problems around 6 months ago with DD then drove it hard in a little street fun - toasted it. I get no grinds what so ever.