: Very mad.... how to go from 3 driveable cars to 1.....

Night Wolf
01-15-05, 12:55 AM
crash 1 into the other while pulling into your driveway doing 50mph....

well, not really...

But, this is going to try and be short...

When I bought the '79 DeVille, the doors closed nice, but they were not lined up with the body, they stuck out

so we adjusted the strikers to move in... thinking they moved over time... the doors lined up nice now.....but they had to be slammed to be closed.... not cool on a car, classic car, and a Cadillac none the less... it was bad... not to mention it was killing the door panels and internals of the door....

After speaking with a fellow classic car guy and '79 DeVille owner online, I now know why it was doing that....

from the factory, there was plastic around the shaft of the striker, over time they crack and fall off, causing there to be too much play in the hinge etc....

so I had moved all the strikers back to their origanal spot, as marked by the non-painted area on the body... and again, the doors now closed nice, but not lined up...

Oh, keep in mind... I am doing this... starting at 8PM... january 14th in upstate NY... it was about 35* out... and DARK!... my 2.5 million candle power light only lasted like 15mins, so I went back to a flash light (big one)

I had bought a new striker from the HELP section for Chevy and GMC trucks, as I was told this would work, but the threads were different... but it could work....

So, I go to put the new striker in the door (only bought 1 to try it) and the threads were too far off.... but the new striker had the plastic piece I needed....

so I took the plastic cylinder piece off of the new striker and tried to put it on the origanal GM striker.... too samll inside diameter...

oh, BTW the striker is the little thing that sticks out that the door latch catches on to... incase you didni't know....

So then I remembered, the Oldsmobile still use the striker system same as the '79, excpet this had no plastic from the factory, and the doors close relaly nice, line up perfect etc....

So I remove the right rear striker from the Olds... I do alot of testing, the plastic fits on the Olds striker fine, and so I install the Olds striker + plastic in the rear left door of the '79.... I line it up with the factory spot... and... I couldn't believe it!, the door closed nice and easy, but all the way... and it was lined up perfect!.... wow... I was gonna go to the junkyard tomorrow, go to a wrecked Delta 88, pull the 4 strikers, go to Advance buy 3 more new strikers ($8 each ) and only use the plastic bushing part....

but then I had the bright idea... make the plastic bushing work with the factory GM strikers... even thought it didn't fit.... using my pair of vice grips, I was able to wrestle the front edge in, then I figured well, now that it is on, I'll thread it in on the door, and just keep tightening it up and it'll slowly push the rubber bushing on the shaft... no junkyard trips, and it'll work....

Here is where the trouble begins...

I go over the the rear door of the Olds... thread it in, just barly catches... and I start tightening it, I am joyfully grinning as the bushing is getting pushed onto the end of the striker....

then I hear a pop.... but nothing seemed wrong.... so I keep going.... it is all the way on, I am happy... very happy, and I start to reverse it....

once the stiker comes out, I realize what that pop was... the was the metal behind the body of the car.... that acts as a "nut" on a rectangle piece of metal that the striker threads into.... and it fell down!

I was fraking out... then I saw the small vent on the bottom, I get my screw driver and remove that, I see the plate, I get the screw driver and am able to slide it along the side and grab it....

Anyway, without this, there is nothing for the striker to thread into.... no striker, means the door has no way to remain closed!

SIX times, I got string, tied a very small rock to the string and fed it thru the small hold for the striker, down to the vent area, and then removed the rock (for weight... very very small peddle) then tied the "nut" thing to it... thinking I could pull it up and it would simply go up to the top, then I would tread the bolt in and never remove it again.....

it didn't work as planned... long story....

So to sum it up, as it is now, the right rear door on the Olds will not close.... I have no idea how I am gonna fix this as there is only about 1" space between that area, and the actual wheel well... there is no way around it....

So then I figure, I'll get the strikers back on the '79, atleast the doors will close, and I'll drive that to work tomorrow things around town and stuff....

I only removed the driver side fron tnbad back, not the passenger side...

the rear one gives me trouble, I think the threads on the striker are a little stripped... but I got it in...

the front one would not go on at all... I tired everything... and for some reason, the "nut" that it scres into was rotating (which it shoulnd't just move up down, left right to adjust the door)

so I got the theads to catch, and start tightening it... it is real hard.... so I knew something was wrong, I reverse the wrench and try to go back, it wont.... I spend some time trying to go back and fourth... when finally I decide to see if I can keep doing forward... I put it back in forward (just a simple ratchet) and give it a good snap of a turn....

the stricker breaks out... the threads on the bolt are all trashed and there are parts of the threads from the "nut" part on the bolt, the nut thing now also falls inside the body of the car.... so my origanal GM striker... *which now has the new plastic bushing on it* is trashed... and the part it threads into is trashed (I was able to get it back to the correct area.. it rotates too much and the threads are gone) and I don't even want to know how i am going to be able to replace that part... let alone even find it!.....

What does all this mean? I am very mad... I can't believe what happened... the driver door on the '79 and the rear passenger door ont he Olds... the same exact problem....

Which also means I can't drive them... it isn't safe, the doors would fly around... I can't really tie them closed or anything!

So on the '79 I got my hemp string and tied the door pull handle to the steering wheel and on the Olds I tired the hemp around both rear door pull handles.... alteast it'll keep the doors kinda closed, so that wind will not blow on them and open them, causing the interrior lights to stay on and the interrior of my cars being exposed to outside (although the doors are hardly "closed" as it is...

And another thing.... the only car I now have that is driveable... much less the only car at the house that is driveable (my mothers car isn't here) is my '93 DeVille.... the car most "shoudln't be driving" right now... why? the Olds is my winter car... the '79 has classic car insurance.... but shouldn't be used as a daily driver, even though I do on days when I feel like it (not in this weather... nice summer days).... the '93 is "withdrawn from use" it has insurance, but only to drive once or twice a month around for a drive or get gas etc..... and also I don't drive it in the winter.... atleast all the snow melted, and we aren't supposed to be getting any :::keeping fingers crossed:::

I did take the '93 out for a 30min drive long before any of this happened... just becuase it was a rather nice day.... then I took the '79 to work, and was going to go crusing around, but got caught up with the damn door thing.....

So, now I will be driving the '93 Coupe DeVille... which was all prepped for winter storage for a little while..... it is 11:40PM now... I work 6AM-2PM... I will set the alarm for 4:30AM, get up, take a shower, go to the diner, go to work, and I'll be done by 1:30PM..... then I need to come back home, and *in the day* (like i should have from the start) look at everything again and try to fix this things... I am not bringing the cars anywhere... I don't do that, I know I can fix it, it is just a matter of getting the stuff I need and physically doing it.... which is much more harder then it sounds....ugh.....

It isn't all that bad though, I'll be crusing around in my baby :).... but it dosn't get driven in snow at all (road salt) and the heater core is kinda clogged (known to happen on these cars) so the heat is really bad... *normally* not a problem, but I'll live.... it is nice though to drive a car with the really nice sound system, XM.... and not looking like it was hit 4 times, and between being hit, spray painted :::oldsmobile::: If I can't fix the Olds... or '79... or both by this weekend... say Monday.... then I will go to my insurance broker and tell him to remove the '93 from withdrawn from use... I pay $70/month more now.... but the car will be 100% safe... and justr like it is in the summer.....

These are the times when having 2...... :::cough:::: 3 :::cough:::: cars on the road are good... but even 2... COUNTLESS times I am working on a car (in the summer) and it is far from being driveable... and there is that one tool I need, or a wrong part or anything..... as much as I don't want to, I just hop in the other car and I am off... 15mins later I have what i need, and I am back... that happens about 2-4 times on any given project with me :)

I'll get pics tomorrow, because I am sure nobody at all has a clue as to what I am even talking about :)

majax
01-15-05, 01:03 AM
You write to much.

All I have to say is have fun fixing and driving the '93:D

Night Wolf
01-15-05, 01:07 AM
you didn't read it did you? :tisk:

lol :) I am going to "have fun " (yeah right) fixing the '79 and Olds... and I'll be driving the '93....

majax
01-15-05, 01:12 AM
you didn't read it did you? :tisk:

lol :) I am going to "have fun " (yeah right) fixing the '79 and Olds... and I'll be driving the '93....

I READ 2/3 OF THE THING, who do you take me for. I know you will be drving the '79 and that you don't have enough time to fix both this weekend. You got a 3 day weekend. Also, you like driving the '93 and like the sound sys and all that.:lildevil:

DaveSmed
01-15-05, 01:18 AM
Superglue! If you can try your rope trick again, put a drop on that nut and hold it against the door. Might be enough to get it to the point to where the friction against the door will keep the nut from turning before the glue bond breaks from torquing. To adjust it? loosen a little and use a hammer. If it gets too loose, you get to do it again.

Ralph
01-15-05, 01:24 AM
Sorry to hear it! I thought maybe you slamed into 2 of your cars or something because of ice on the driveway at first.

Stoneage_Caddy
01-16-05, 01:42 AM
looks like a job for the body shop dude ....

these things happen , its life ...

Msilva954
01-16-05, 09:43 AM
Isnt the way to get to in from behind the rear door on the olds from the wheel well???

I thought that the plastic inner wheel well was removable for access to that.........and between the drivers and passanger door on the Caddy is there plastic (not metal) like my deville that is removable to access the inner panel?