: Help please to identify rear bumper 1970 DeVille convertible

IanW
05-19-13, 10:42 PM
I suspect that my 1970 DeVille convertible had its rear bumper switched sometime before I bought it 15 years ago.

My bumper's two backing-up lights are each only 6" wide (including chrome surround), whereas photos of other examples of the same model show much wider assemblies, which look like the same lights as I have but incorporating a very wide reflector(?) piece, maybe tripling the overall left-to-right dimension. An original ad for the 1970 DeVille convertible, shown from the rear, also has the wide version of the back-up light assembly.

I wouldn't be too worried about it except that one of the separate end sections of the bumper has rusted clear through. I want to buy a replacement end section and of course do not want to tell the supplier that I have a 1970 bumper when I don't.
Somewhere I read that these end pieces changed in design each year.

Any info much appreciated.

cadillac kevin
05-20-13, 10:08 PM
Do you have any pictures?

1973_Eldorado
05-20-13, 11:53 PM
This is the correct bumper for a 1970. Note the wide trim panels around the reverse lights. As far as I know, the center section is the same for '69, but the '70 has holes in it to mount these trim panels. The outer bumper ends for sure are different between '69 and '70, but they may bolt up to the '70 center.

A pic of yours would help tremendously.

IanW
05-21-13, 09:36 AM
Thanks for the picture. I wish I knew how to add a photo of my own bumper. It sure doesn't look like the photo.

In mine, the reversing lights themselves are the same as the ones in the photo, in the same positions, just to the left and right of the license plate opening, but they don't have the long white sections to the left of the left bulb glass and to the right of the right bulb glass. It's all chrome bumper from the bulb glass outward.

My outer end sections, with the red reflectors, look the same as the photo to me. But they can't be, or can they?

1973_Eldorado
05-21-13, 10:13 AM
They can be if someone put a '70 rear bumper on your '69. Here is a better photo of the very same bumper with those trim panels removed. This will help you decide whether you need/want a different bumper, or maybe only need to buy the ends. The second photo is a close up of one of the ends. I included it so you can determine if '69 ends would bolt up to a '70 center section, if that's what you have. 109233109241

IanW
05-21-13, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the additional photos. The disassembled bumper photo is really helpful. It really does look like mine, apart from the holes in the main bumper just inside the end pieces.

To add a bit to the evidence, here's an imported picture of the rear bumper of a '69. So, with your photos, it's clear that my car is a '70 - as it's not a '69, and can't be a '71

http://kevingilligan.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/rear2.jpg

From your latest most helpful pictures of the '70 bumper, I think that what might have happened is that the large trim pieces right and left of the reversing lights themselves may have simply been removed from my bumper. Are they indeed easily separable from the glass lights with their chrome 'frames'?
If so, it looks from your photos that removing the large trim pieces would only leave single screw(?)holes in the bumper? Perhaps these holes had been filled and chromed over. I'll grab a magnifying glass (and a deerstalker cap). The mystery may have been solved. If so, I can go ahead and buy a replacement left end piece, the section that's rusted through.

bigm57ict
05-21-13, 04:21 PM
It sounds like you have a bumper off a 1970 Cadillac Calais. It was a lower-level model and did not have the trim strips.

Does yours look like this?

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5179/5440773507_f5ba7bb59c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/that_chrysler_guy/5440773507/)

1973_Eldorado
05-21-13, 04:25 PM
The burgundy car in the photo posted above appears to be entirely 1969. Note the reverse lights are just under the tail lights on each side, and are not a part of the bumper at all.

Sorry about the extra time on this, I wasn't as familiar with '69 as I am with '70. I've owned several '70 Cadillacs, but so far never a '69.

A fast Google image search seems to confirm the following:

If your 1970 deVille does not have reverse lights in the bumper, it has the wrong bumper.

Please note the trim panel that surrounds the reverse light lens is not part of the bumper. The Fleetwood has a different trim panel than a regular deVille. The Calais has a much smaller trim bezel that surrounds only the lens. Maybe your bumper was swapped from a Calais, which means the bumper is correct, but you'll have to find the two wider trim bezels for deVille (they're on ebay all the time), and drill a couple of holes in the bumper to install them.

----------

BigM57ict has shown us the answer.

1973_Eldorado
05-21-13, 04:30 PM
And just for posterity's sake, this photo shows the trim panels for a 1970 Fleetwood.

IanW
05-21-13, 04:42 PM
Yes, that's mine exactly. Thank you. The rear bumper on my DeVille is clearly from a Calais.

Sherlock was wrong.

Now the question is, will end bumper pieces from a '70 DeVille fit at the ends of my Calais bumper, on a '70 DeVille?

Or, to put it another way, is the width of the reversing light trim the only difference between the three sections of the rear bumper of the Calais and the the three sections of the rear bumper of the DeVille?

BTW, I'm not fussed about having the authentic full-width trim for the reversing lights.

1973_Eldorado
05-21-13, 04:46 PM
Yep, the ends are all the same.