: Options for Brakes STS-V

Guy.Seminerio
05-19-13, 07:29 PM
Would bigger rotors than stock fit on either the back or front with the stock rims? I feel like you could at least go bigger in the back. Also, does anyone know about carbon ceramic rotors? Are they available in our size, and who makes them. I also hear they're extremely expensive. Do they improve stopping power much? Some of the newer high performance vehicles are coming with them as options. Are there certain types of pads that are recommended with carbon cermaic rotors?

----------

http://image.automobilemag.com/f/multimedia/photo_gallery/8068821/0712_15z_1024x768+2009_chevrolet_corvette_ZR1+carb on_ceramic_brakes.jpg
They're pretty nice too, the carbon ceramic brakes that is. Also how's the durability on these bad boys?

----------

http://www.automobilemag.com/features/news/1007_carbon_ceramic_brembo_brake_rotors/details.html
Looks like they're more durable, 100,000 miles of regular driving. Obviously lighter, better stopping power, less fade. The only shortfall is going to be cost. I wonder how much though.

PNBLWZD
05-19-13, 10:53 PM
Generally speaking, putting a larger rotor on any vehicle will require new caliper mounting brackets to make it fit. If anything, I think you would want a larger rotor in the front since that is where most of the stopping happens. Are the 14" Brembos not doing it for you? They are the same brakes used on the V2 IIRC. Many here have used the Stop-tech (or other brands) drilled and slotted rotors in stock size with good results and better looks.

1madstsv
05-20-13, 12:18 PM
1. Why would you need/want biger brakes on this car?
2. Carbon ceramic brakes are only better under high heat. Ie road racing.
3. You are looking at over $5,000 to try to do this. No one makes bigger steel brakes with 6 lugs so even steal would be very big $$$$. And carbon brakes would be stupid money.
4. The car is 4500lbs so loosing 20-40 lbs in brakes is not really going to help any at all.

Guy.Seminerio
05-20-13, 01:16 PM
Just askin jeez. When you say they use the drilled and slotted with good results are we talking better than stock? Any issues with cracking especially with the drilled? How about pads? Is the general consensus that stock is the way to go
Also, losing 20-40 lbs in brakes may not be a big deal but we're talking unsprung weight and lowering the rolling inertia so in that area, it will make a difference. To answer your first question as to why one would need/want bigger brakes, better stopping power would be the answer.
The brakes are fine, but I just wanted to see what it would take to improve them, and how attainable that would be.

bobs-sts-v
05-21-13, 02:04 PM
Then start with the obvious - get a good set of Hawk Performance pads. Many to choose from. Gets rid of the brake dust as well.
I use the Hawk HPS pads since I don't generate the high heat, especially here in Chicago's winters, but if you are in the south, you might try the ceramics. Suck in the cold, but decent in warmer climates (so I am told).
I have had slotted and slotted + dimpled (not drilled all the way through) rotors on my V since '07, and never had any issues. Don't buy the drilled rotors - waste of $ IMHO.
Just my 2 cents.

Bob

Guy.Seminerio
05-21-13, 05:01 PM
Thanks bob. I know hawk is the way to go in general. That's my go to brand. My question is did you notice a difference in stopping power with any of your modifications? The stock brakes are pretty top notch. I wouldn't want to trade down. If you're not sure whether or not they made a difference I got it. Very understandable. Thanks again.

Jailtime
05-22-13, 02:32 AM
I have EBC Red Stuff pads and Black Dash rotors on my V. The combo is low dust, has good cold performance around town, and work great on the track. The slotted rotors are a nice apperance upgrade too. You can catch some pretty sweet deals on EBC parts at Place for Brakes.

I hated the stock brakes, couldn't drive 50 miles without getting the wheels caked in brake dust.

Guy.Seminerio
05-22-13, 10:53 AM
Thanks the brake dust kills me.

bobs-sts-v
05-23-13, 10:46 AM
Stopping power with the HPS was excellent. HPC sucked, but that was due to cold temps in winter here in Chicago.

Guy.Seminerio
05-23-13, 02:11 PM
Well I'm glad you say that because ill be back to living in NYC in a year.

Guy.Seminerio
05-23-13, 04:37 PM
by the way just happened to notice carbon ceramics on the SAE 100.
http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/photo/116419,11581/2005-Cadillac-STS-SAE-100_photo.aspx

Fierofiend
05-23-13, 07:19 PM
They appear to be V2 calipers as well.

rbzstsv
05-23-13, 07:57 PM
Agreed. Those headlights are pretty sweet as well.

youknooow
05-24-13, 12:22 PM
Those head lights are on late model platinum escalades.

CShiv
05-25-13, 07:21 AM
Man I gotta have those lights!

Ludacrisvp
05-25-13, 08:09 PM
Man I gotta have those lights!

Agreed. Those headlights are pretty sweet as well.

They sure are. Same with the fogs. If only someone would have made them.