: Riveting Front License Plate Mount

r_calif
05-19-13, 05:53 PM
I'm trying to attach the front license plate mount to my '13 CTS-V wagon. I don't mind drilling the holes, and I don't want to bother with a dealer trip just for this. My question is, can I use a standard home-type riveter like this:

http://www.sears.com/stanley-swivel-head-riveter-die-cast-metal/p-00973757000P

... to attach the rivets? The rivets are part number 11516807, by the way, and based on a little research I understand they are "split"-type rivets.

Thanks!

neuronbob
05-19-13, 06:32 PM
Why drill your bumper when you can purchase a tow hook-mounted plate mount?

Purple87SS
05-19-13, 06:41 PM
RHO plate mount. No holes, totally removable. Love mine. Built well and reasonably priced.

http://rhoplate.com/

neuronbob
05-19-13, 09:06 PM
Exactly.

Random84
05-19-13, 09:12 PM
Friends don't let friends permanently attach front license plate covers.

Step AWAY from the car, sir.

r_calif
05-19-13, 09:59 PM
Hmm, not sure I like the asymmetrical look, but I guess I can try it and see if I get used to it.

Still would appreciate any input on the riveting question in case I go that route.

VMoose
05-20-13, 05:05 AM
Plates don't look great on the front of the car, but I would never drill my own bumper personally. I would go with RHO. I'm thankful TN doesn't require front plates.

thebigjimsho
05-20-13, 07:58 AM
The other good thing about the RHO is that you can have a front plate without interfering with cooling and/or ducting...

Gary Wells
05-20-13, 09:50 AM
Drilling mounting holes (OMG X 10) & attaching by rivets is a great idea.
Even though doubtful, If the plate should ever catch on something,
you can remove the bumper and / or enlarge the riveting holes at the same time.
Seriously, drilling front license plate mounting holes & riveting?
Hopefully, someone else thinks like you do, or you may never sell the car if necessary.

vfaninva
05-20-13, 11:28 AM
Unfortunately here in VA we have front plates. My front plate holder was already installed when I purchased it so I didn't have a choice. Having said that, I would still have mounted it in the same place. I personally think that it looks better than the offset appearance of RHO. It will have little/no effect on cooling in normal driving and I doubt any effect on resale.

baabootoo
05-20-13, 11:42 AM
Hmm, not sure I like the asymmetrical look, but I guess I can try it and see if I get used to it.

Still would appreciate any input on the riveting question in case I go that route.

Then just use bolts as opposed to riveting. You can remove it easily then. Maybe an "L" bracket that attaches underneath and comes up?

Snotty Boom Body
05-20-13, 11:43 AM
Don't rivet it just screw it in with the same screws that hold the plate to the mount
My mount was already screwed to the front bumper at the top of the mount when I got the car and the 2 holes were already drilled.
Ended up taking it off for now and only 2 small holes remain

neuronbob
05-20-13, 11:45 AM

If you don't like the asymmetrical look, then you can invest in a hideaway system that attaches underneath the car. It can be motorized or not. The plate appears at the center of the bumper....when you choose to show it.

thebigjimsho
05-20-13, 02:12 PM
Unfortunately here in VA we have front plates. My front plate holder was already installed when I purchased it so I didn't have a choice. Having said that, I would still have mounted it in the same place. I personally think that it looks better than the offset appearance of RHO. It will have little/no effect on cooling in normal driving and I doubt any effect on resale.You WILL have potential buyers balking at a front plate mount and figuring in costs in replacing the bumper or filling in the holes.

cdog533
05-20-13, 02:31 PM
Unfortunately here in VA we have front plates. My front plate holder was already installed when I purchased it so I didn't have a choice. Having said that, I would still have mounted it in the same place. I personally think that it looks better than the offset appearance of RHO. It will have little/no effect on cooling in normal driving and I doubt any effect on resale.

Throw plate in garbage. Pay the occassional fine. Problem solved.

vfaninva
05-20-13, 04:44 PM
You WILL have potential buyers balking at a front plate mount and figuring in costs in replacing the bumper or filling in the holes.

There MAY be some who would balk but it is a minor consideration that is quite easily fixed and suggesting a new bumper cover is required is a bit much. Also don't forget, there are still many states that require the front plate anyways so there WILL be people looking for the front plate mount already installed. The debate is moot to me because I plan on keeping mine forever.

----------

Not a bad idea but cops around here are always looking for revenue.

cdog533
05-20-13, 06:12 PM
Not a bad idea but cops around here are always looking for revenue.

They'll run out of tickets before YOU run out of money.

vfaninva
05-20-13, 07:07 PM
They'll run out of tickets before YOU run out of money.

Yeah but I'd rather spend it on gas! :)

mpouls1
05-20-13, 08:02 PM
Oh hell no...You would be better off using zip ties. Your car would never forgive you. I would think you could get used to an offset plate using the tow hook.

tinman
05-21-13, 09:05 AM
Just tell the cop you lost your plate in an accident that tore off your front bumper. Spend the $60 and get the tow hook design.

Thank the lord I live in Florida, land of sunshine, no state income tax and no front plate.

----------

If you insist on the pop rivet route, and please DON'T do it, it may work but in my humble opinion it won't last. Get some decent sized sheet metal screws, stainless steel only (18-8 alloy) and just drill a small pilot hole and screw the plate/mount into the bumper. I'm a metal fabrication guy and I would never use those small pop rivets.

thebigjimsho
05-21-13, 11:32 AM
I live in MA, a two plate state. 2 Vs, 9 years, no tickets for no front plate...

tinman
05-21-13, 11:57 AM
I lived on Ohio, a 2 state plate. No front plate on my MGB for 25 years, no tickets. Let me add that it was not my daily driver.

neuronbob
05-21-13, 12:37 PM
^^^^
I live in Ohio, and have not had a front plate on either V I've owned. I've never been pulled over in the four years I've been driving Vs, and I have driven by more than one cop on the freeway. Frankly, Cleveland-area cops have better things to go after, like meth dealers and assorted other real criminals, and only a few suburbs care about front plate enforcement.

Thankfully, some intrepid Ohio reps are advancing a bill right now to repeal the front plate requirement. If we can get 70 mph interstate speeds (YAY, it happens this year, FINALLY!) then I give it better than 50% chance of passing. :)

tinman
05-21-13, 12:45 PM
Really? 70 mph finally! I remember the double action speed limit signs 60 daytime, and when lights hit them at night they reflected 55 mph.

KellyE
05-21-13, 09:00 PM
Here is my car with the RHO used on the tow hook. If you have to wear it, like I do in Oregon. I would rather have my ear pierced then my nose!109497

Put the drill away....:crying:

r_calif
05-21-13, 11:08 PM
If you insist on the pop rivet route, and please DON'T do it, it may work but in my humble opinion it won't last. Get some decent sized sheet metal screws, stainless steel only (18-8 alloy) and just drill a small pilot hole and screw the plate/mount into the bumper. I'm a metal fabrication guy and I would never use those small pop rivets.

Thanks for the tip. I ended up ordering the RHO mount; I guess I can get used to the look.

dennych
05-22-13, 01:00 AM

someone told me fix it tickets are $150 now in california...
that plus a fix it for the tint would = $300

Lame.........

I would also vote for the rhoplate.
I didn't like having a plate at all to begin with but I got over it.

For the plateless look I considered those retractable ones from the bottom.

r_calif
05-27-13, 03:20 PM
Installed my RHO Plate, and it looks good. That was the right call; thanks, all, for the advice!

neuronbob
05-27-13, 09:14 PM
^^^^
Good move!

Really? 70 mph finally! I remember the double action speed limit signs 60 daytime, and when lights hit them at night they reflected 55 mph.

This must be before my time, I don't recall seeing those, and I've lived in Ohio for almost 23 years now :( (wife keeps me here....). Yup, 70 mph on rural interstates! WOOT!