: Paddle Shift Retrofit Questions

h3rmes
05-19-13, 06:38 PM
Folks,

I have installed a paddle shift steering wheel to my ATS Luxury (did not come with it). This is very easy to do, just remove the negative clamp on the battery in the trunk, wait 15 minutes, poke a 3-4 mm allen wrench into the holes on the back of either side to take off the air bag, unplug the connectors. The ATS uses a Torx bolt to hold the steering wheel in place. There is no way to install it wrong as there are slots for the wheel to go in. Less than a hours worth of work.

Does anyone know if the transmission requires reprogramming to recognize the paddle shifters or is there a replacement automatic shift knob that recognizes paddle shifters that is required?

On some of the BMW forums on this type of mod, there appears to be a wire loom that needs to be made and some mods to the wires on the automatic transmission.

Anyone that has access to wiring schematics for the ATS, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
h3rmes

h3rmes
05-21-13, 01:36 PM
Folks,

I have installed a paddle shift steering wheel to my ATS Luxury (did not come with it). This is very easy to do, just remove the negative clamp on the battery in the trunk, wait 15 minutes, poke a 3-4 mm allen wrench into the holes on the back of either side to take off the air bag, unplug the connectors. The ATS uses a Torx bolt to hold the steering wheel in place. There is no way to install it wrong as there are slots for the wheel to go in. Less than a hours worth of work.

Does anyone know if the transmission requires reprogramming to recognize the paddle shifters or is there a replacement automatic shift knob that recognizes paddle shifters that is required?

On some of the BMW forums on this type of mod, there appears to be a wire loom that needs to be made and some mods to the wires on the automatic transmission.

Anyone that has access to wiring schematics for the ATS, I would be very grateful.

Thanks,
h3rmes

Bump! Is there a wiring harness that I am missing? Anyone have a parts catalog yet?

turbo2.0
05-21-13, 01:44 PM
GM tends to go out of their way to try and stop people from retrofitting pieces to their vehicle that were not factory on their model. Before you start trying to throw every part on your vehicle that some random strangers on a forum tell you to try, I would suggest trying to find some information about how the system works. If the harness is different and/or it goes through a different module that would require a dealer to program it you may stop while you only have a little invested in it.

h3rmes
05-21-13, 05:09 PM
GM tends to go out of their way to try and stop people from retrofitting pieces to their vehicle that were not factory on their model. Before you start trying to throw every part on your vehicle that some random strangers on a forum tell you to try, I would suggest trying to find some information about how the system works. If the harness is different and/or it goes through a different module that would require a dealer to program it you may stop while you only have a little invested in it.

Yeah. This is true. To replace a burnt out head light bulb in an ATS you have to remove the front bumper. That seems a bit of an overkill to prevent customers from upgrading their headlights.

I will check in with my local cadillac parts counter and see if this a programing or hardwire issue.

flycaster
05-21-13, 06:25 PM
You know, even though the ATS just about copied everything from BMW, the one major thing that they didn't copy when designing the ATS as a 3-series competitor was to allow for the for easy modding. For example, having to take the bumper off to change headlights is ridiculous.

thebigjimsho
05-22-13, 12:37 PM
Oh, get over it. It's been like that on every Caddy for years...

Get a Caddy with Xenons and you don't need to worry, anyway...

romanats
05-22-13, 01:52 PM
you dont need to remove the bumper to replace headlight bulb you can just go from wheel well and take it out its tight but can be done .

flycaster
05-23-13, 08:31 AM
Oh, get over it. It's been like that on every Caddy for years...

Never had a Caddy before... It wasn't that I wanted to swap out the headlights; just using this as an example.

Yplus
05-23-13, 05:57 PM
Where did you get the steering wheel from and how much was it? I've been debating a mod to add paddle shifters for a while.

h3rmes
05-23-13, 07:27 PM
Where did you get the steering wheel from and how much was it? I've been debating a mod to add paddle shifters for a while.

I bought it off ebay. Schram auto parts. They dismantle salvaged cars. The wheel I bought was off of an ATS with 4 miles on the odo.

Yplus
05-29-13, 02:30 PM
Any update?

rustybear3
05-29-13, 05:59 PM
Good luck on your warranty if anything goes wrong....also, IMHO , modified cars seldom hold their value on trade in time; especially leases.

ATS Mike
08-19-13, 11:38 PM
Update? I would like to do the same to my vehicle!

pissedoffwookiee
08-20-13, 02:07 AM
I'm interested too I'm about to pull the trigger on the suede wheel and this would be a bonus

oachalon
08-20-13, 01:49 PM
If GM builds our ATS's anything like they built the Gen 5 Camaros then pretty much everything can be retrofitted. I have a 2010 Camaro SS as well and you can pretty much retrofit any part your car didn't come with onto it. It just usually requires a few harnesses.

My guess is there is an extra plug and play harness you need to get for the paddle shifters, but the rest of the harness probably exists in the car.

2ssrs
08-20-13, 07:54 PM
Folks,

Thanks,
h3rmes

what year is your car?

pissedoffwookiee
08-23-13, 03:55 AM
anyone know about adding paddle shift?

JoeC1982
12-17-13, 12:58 AM
bump this one up, thinking about ordering the suede wheel and shift boot tomorrow along with the pedal kit.

Stevo Supremo
12-17-13, 01:04 AM
lol wait someone took there bumper off to do the headlight bulbs?

JoeC1982
12-17-13, 01:12 AM
lol wait someone took there bumper off to do the headlight bulbs?
I sure hope not, i can see it being a possibility if doing an HID retrofit or conversion though.

Stevo Supremo
12-17-13, 11:52 AM
lol no I put HIDS in my car without removing the front bumper

joekitch
12-26-13, 05:11 PM
aged.
the paddle shifters only come on the very spendy performance and premium models, im fine without what all those have to offer but i gotta have those paddles (since the automatic transmission normally isnt very good)
be aware you probably need to get the car reprogrammed by a dealer; ask around tuning shops in your area, and ask them what dealerships will do reprogramming for customers.
if the hookups are exactly the same between paddle and non paddle steering columns, that probably indicates it only needs programming

Fraggy
12-27-13, 06:01 PM
Keep in mind you can still manual shift with the gear selector until this upgrade is ready.

joekitch
12-27-13, 06:08 PM
Keep in mind you can still manual shift with the gear selector until this upgrade is ready.

bah, not as fun as those clicky paddles, which are actually quite good on the ATS compared to its competition

Fraggy
12-27-13, 07:54 PM
bah, not as fun as those clicky paddles, which are actually quite good on the ATS compared to its competition

Of course not, but them auto sucks so bad it's better than nothing until the retrofit gets figured.

ATS2.0
12-30-13, 12:48 AM
Would like to do this....but I would think your car would need to be re programmed as the bcm or tcm is not receiving a signal from the paddle controlls

Hoosier Daddy
12-30-13, 10:24 AM
Would like to do this....but I would think your car would need to be re programmed as the bcm or tcm is not receiving a signal from the paddle controlls
Just for clarification, if it isn't just plug and play it would be an issue of the bcm/tcm ignoring the signals as opposed to not receiving them.

ikireland
01-01-14, 11:44 AM
I'm an advisor at a Cadillac dealer and just purchased an ATS two days ago and have also been looking into this switch. I will figure out tomorrow what is involved in the mod and report back!

ATS2.0
01-01-14, 09:53 PM
Thanks please do!

duneless
01-02-14, 01:19 AM
Yeah. This is true. To replace a burnt out head light bulb in an ATS you have to remove the front bumper. That seems a bit of an overkill to prevent customers from upgrading their headlights.

I will check in with my local cadillac parts counter and see if this a programing or hardwire issue.Don't you just bend back the inner wheel well to get to the headlight bulb? I have HID"S I'm going to put in and that's how I'm going to do that.

joekitch
01-02-14, 05:11 AM
I'm an advisor at a Cadillac dealer and just purchased an ATS two days ago and have also been looking into this switch. I will figure out tomorrow what is involved in the mod and report back!

i eagerly await your report, private

nyinstaller
01-05-14, 01:07 AM
The only time you have to remove the bumper to change the headlight bulbs is when you have the 4300k hid bulbs from stock the reason you need to remove the bumper is because the cover over the bulbs is screwed In by about 7 Phillips screws most of which can't be accessed easily. And even tho there is 2 dozen screwed holding the bumper on it will save a lot of time to just pull the bumper. I did this 3 days after I got my car to exchange the factory hid bulbs to 6k pure white in color at the same time I installed white led turn signals. Very easy compared to trying to maneuver the access.

The paddle shifters are a program thing however this is going to be tricky as gm will have to build a new bcm file to enable the controls. Normally they have to be givin a number which corresponds to the adding of the feature. Ie same as when adding remote start to a non equipped vehicle. I am no pro at gm but working at Diablosport and now owning my own dealer tools I am learning a lot. However I am a pro at dodge jeep etc and just wish the platform was the same or the Programing. Nothing I can't do on a chrysler

ikireland
01-10-14, 12:49 PM
I can not get a straight answer from GM. Looks like this will be a trail and error process if I do decide to go ahead with it, the wheels so cheap I might get one of our techs to give it a shot and see what happens.

pissedoffwookiee
01-11-14, 05:48 AM
The only time you have to remove the bumper to change the headlight bulbs is when you have the 4300k hid bulbs from stock the reason you need to remove the bumper is because the cover over the bulbs is screwed In by about 7 Phillips screws most of which can't be accessed easily. And even tho there is 2 dozen screwed holding the bumper on it will save a lot of time to just pull the bumper. I did this 3 days after I got my car to exchange the factory hid bulbs to 6k pure white in color at the same time I installed white led turn signals. Very easy compared to trying to maneuver the access.

The paddle shifters are a program thing however this is going to be tricky as gm will have to build a new bcm file to enable the controls. Normally they have to be givin a number which corresponds to the adding of the feature. Ie same as when adding remote start to a non equipped vehicle. I am no pro at gm but working at Diablosport and now owning my own dealer tools I am learning a lot. However I am a pro at dodge jeep etc and just wish the platform was the same or the Programing. Nothing I can't do on a chrysler

What bulbs did you use for the turn signals and what model his bulb did it take?

nyinstaller
01-12-14, 09:15 PM
What bulbs did you use for the turn signals and what model his bulb did it take?

I used smd 3528 white bulbs 4 for each lens. You have to gain access to the PCb and remove the originals

Now the trick is there is 3 ground pads and 1 positive pad. However the bulbs listed just have 1 and 1 so one ground pad has to be covered with tape then press the bulb in place and the tape will stay put.

Hard to explain but if you have ever swapped these types of LEDs before you will see what I'm saying.

ikireland
03-03-14, 12:04 AM
So back on topic. I have ordered the suede accessory wheel with paddle shift. I have checked and the harness plug in on top of the column is wired for the paddle shift as per the schematic. It goes to the bcm so the proper thing to do would be reprogram the bcm. GM won't give us an update for that. So, in going to see if I can "trick" the car. Going to snip the wire that goes to the bcm from the wheel and splice it into the wire that goes to the bcm from the floor shifter input from manual mode so when I send the signal from the paddle it goes to the floor shifter input and hopefully the car will shift! Wondering what would happen if I were to shift when in 'D'.....if I forgot to put it in manual and then attempted a shift...but I can play with that stuff. Prolly will happen next Saturday assuming the wheel shows up this week which it may not. I'll report back

Hoosier Daddy
03-03-14, 01:13 AM
So back on topic. I have ordered the suede accessory wheel with paddle shift. I have checked and the harness plug in on top of the column is wired for the paddle shift as per the schematic. It goes to the bcm so the proper thing to do would be reprogram the bcm. GM won't give us an update for that. So, in going to see if I can "trick" the car. Going to snip the wire that goes to the bcm from the wheel and splice it into the wire that goes to the bcm from the floor shifter input from manual mode so when I send the signal from the paddle it goes to the floor shifter input and hopefully the car will shift! Wondering what would happen if I were to shift when in 'D'.....if I forgot to put it in manual and then attempted a shift...but I can play with that stuff. Prolly will happen next Saturday assuming the wheel shows up this week which it may not. I'll report back
I was involved with something similar with Ford products. We got hex dumps of the module contents from a Ford database for VINs of cars with as close to equal configurations except for what we wanted to activate. An anonymous tech loaded modified contents (the entire module had to be loaded even if only a few bytes changed) until we knew what to do with the configurations we cared about. Then we published them for owners to have dealers install. Of course many dealers wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole but enough would.

If that's even possible in the GM world, it would require that GM techs be able to dump the contents of modules and also be able to manually load any content even if that is never a normal process. And of course take a tech insider to test revised code in cars. I have no idea if they have a way to do that or if they know if they have a way to do that. Many Ford techs did not know that modules could be loaded manually because the training and manuals called for modules to be updated with the VINs original code directly from Ford.

FWIW it became apparent that this was only needed because Ford intentionally loaded values to prevent DIY upgrades. In other words, the modified code worked just as well in cars that didn't have the hardware swap as the ones that did. Maybe we will be lucky and the paddles will work without modifying the BCM code (or has that already been determined).

MRTQ
03-03-14, 12:10 PM

I have the paddle shifters, and if you command a down shift with the paddles while it is Drive it will downshift. I would be willing to bet that it would behave the same if you could find a way to wire it up. Good luck!

ikireland
03-05-14, 10:51 AM
OK, new suede wheel showed up today, all the wiring is in place for paddle shifters, but it doesn't come with the paddles! Has to be transferred over from existing wheel. Talked to parts department, the catalog does show the paddles as separate items with their own part numbers, but when looking up availability we get error messages saying either 'part not available for sale' or 'part not available. check replacement'. So they are going to look into it further for me and see if we can get the shifters separately or not.

Hoosier Daddy
03-05-14, 10:57 AM
OK, new suede wheel showed up today, all the wiring is in place for paddle shifters, but it doesn't come with the paddles! Has to be transferred over from existing wheel. Talked to parts department, the catalog does show the paddles as separate items with their own part numbers, but when looking up availability we get error messages saying either 'part not available for sale' or 'part not available. check replacement'. So they are going to look into it further for me and see if we can get the shifters separately or not.
Worst case, is there a separate part number for a suede wheel with paddle shifters?

ikireland
03-05-14, 11:23 AM
Nope. They list then as for paddle shift and not for paddle shift. Only difference is the wiring harness and holes in the back for paddles to go

rustybear3
03-05-14, 11:47 AM
Well, it's been a year since this thread started....apparently, this is NOT doable! Glad I ordered the Premium :thumbsup:

ikireland
03-05-14, 12:07 PM
It's definitely do able I think, I was going the accessory wheel route so it would be cheaper, I may have to order the oem wheel from a oreinere with the same driver awareness package. Just cost me about $550 for that wheel and accessory wheel was $180 or so.

ikireland
03-06-14, 01:27 PM
Found updated part numbers for paddle shifters today so they are now on order as well, I should see them in about a week or so. Once I have them then the wheel will go on with new shifters and hopefully the wiring will work!

Updates part numbers for paddles ^^

Hoosier Daddy
03-06-14, 04:04 PM
Found updated part numbers for paddle shifters today so they are now on order as well, I should see them in about a week or so. Once I have them then the wheel will go on with new shifters and hopefully the wiring will work!

Updates part numbers for paddles ^^
And lets hope GM didn't spend money on special code just to disable a feature that didn't come with it, like Ford is know to do. I'm very interested in hearing if they work for you because it will tell me a bit about Cadillac's mindset.

ikireland
03-06-14, 08:16 PM
And lets hope GM didn't spend money on special code just to disable a feature that didn't come with it, like Ford is know to do. I'm very interested in hearing if they work for you because it will tell me a bit about Cadillac's mindset. We'll according to the original post, no they won't work just plug and play. Myself, a tech and our shop foreman have all spoke to GM and they have all said they "don't know" if it can be done. Basically seems like they are blowing me off. So I figure by re routing the wires to the bcm input for the floor shift up and down inputs, I can basically "trick" the car to think I'm shifting from the shift lever, and fingers crossed it will shift from the paddles. I honestly don't really see how this wont work, I have looked at the schematics and it seems like it will be very straight forward. My foreman said there may be something in place to not allow this. I guess we will find out in 7-10 business days haha (shipping time est from lancing Michigan warehouse to me.) ---------- Also, if this does not I work, I will have two paddles and a wrapped suede accessory wheel for sale very soon. Wrapping won't come off until i confirm it all works! Haha ---------- http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3124/12979456813_960f107c65.jpg http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2631/12979314005_ee9d2baf42.jpg

nyinstaller
03-07-14, 11:03 AM
the only thing I can guess is the controls wont work until you put the shifter in the correct position. I wonder if there is a gm version of the Chrysler CDA software.

for those of you who do not know what that is. its the engineering software that allows the addition or subtraction of features by modifying the BCM, FCM, TIPM vehicle configuration file.

even though Chrysler is different and there computers/software seem to work a lot easier the concept is still the same. as the bcm contains a file within it that outlines what the car is , what it can do etc.

SO does anyone know of an engineering software that will allow modification of the BCM files. as there has to be in my opinion. just not easy to come by.

----------

if my memory serves me right it is d3s. However go to silvanias site and you should be able to get a confirmed answer . I went with 6k bulbs which is a brighter WHITE bulb.

sorry above is for information purposes. You asked about the turn signals. The bulb is a single filament 3156. similar to a 3157 however a 56 is single and a 57 is dual. they were purchased off ebay let me find them for you. WILL need LOAD cells to avoid hyper flash.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-3155-3156-Cree-Samsang-High-Power-Back-Up-LED-Turn-Signal-DRL-HID-White-/171051275004?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d37352fc&vxp=mtr

load resistor used.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4x-Load-Resistor-50W-6-Ohm-Fix-LED-Bulb-Fast-Flash-Turn-Signal-Blink-/171107625611?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27d6cf2a8b&vxp=mtr

DiabloMike
03-07-14, 12:48 PM
I would imagine there is a way to flash the car as being equipped with paddle shifters.
Not sure if it would be in the BCM or TCM.

Example, on C5 Corvettes, you could pick a BCM config for a Z06, and it would disable the TPM sensors...

ikireland
03-07-14, 01:44 PM
You can't select a different build for programming anymore. We tried on mine, with the new gds and mdi programming, it will only allow u to program as per the build based on vin and it knows the vin now, you don't build the vehicle like with the tech 2.

nyinstaller
03-08-14, 12:36 AM
too bad the tech 2 doesn't know what the ats is:banghead:

ikireland
03-13-14, 01:01 PM
Paddles showed up today, of course theres a little bolt that you need to attach them to the wheel, we found some in our bolt bin that work, but if I where to ordered everything at once knowing what I know now about the parts then I would have ordered wheel, shifters and screws all at once. Hopefully will have time to install today and i'll report back if I got it working.

btmasta
03-14-14, 10:39 AM
Man I really hope this works for you, I'll be purchasing it as well if it does!

ikireland
03-14-14, 10:43 AM
Man I really hope this works for you, I'll be purchasing it as well if it does!

I will know today. Wheel and shifters installed yesterday, didn't work as expected. So we're calling GM today in last ditch effort to see if they will release updated programming for the bcm to accept the input, if no I'll be splicing wires. Either way I'll report back tomorrow.

Side note: I love the way the suede wheel feels. I wasn't sure if if be ok loosing the heated steering wheel, I love the suede, I'm ok with no heated wheel now haha

ikireland
03-14-14, 10:11 PM
Wires didn't work. It's weird. If I place the paddle shift wore into the floor shift wire, I can't even put the car into manual mode let alone paddle shift, sooooo, calling GM Monday, see if they will program for me

btmasta
03-18-14, 10:40 AM
Oh man I was really hoping this would work :/

Let us know what GM says. I wouldn't mind paying $100 or so for a re-program if it would make this work

ikireland
03-18-14, 10:49 AM
Oh man I was really hoping this would work :/ Let us know what GM says. I wouldn't mind paying $100 or so for a re-program if it would make this work

They won't re program for it, so my last attempt is going to be today. I'm going to try replacing the floor shift with the paddle shift wire rather than tying into each other And see how that goes...

Hoosier Daddy
03-18-14, 11:06 AM
They won't re program for it, so my last attempt is going to be today. I'm going to try replacing the floor shift with the paddle shift wire rather than tying into each other And see how that goes...
If you know what "box" has the code for the paddles you may be able to do what we did in a similar situation with Mustangs. Dump the contents of the box for a car with the paddles and one without and everything else as close as possible and you may be able to see the differences. In the Mustang example, the difference was just 4 bytes which basically existed for no other reason but to PREVENT someone retrofitting an option. Of course that alone won't help unless you have a way to update the code in a car but maybe some of the tune flashing folks can come up with a way if there's some money in it for them.

ikireland
03-18-14, 10:12 PM
If you know what "box" has the code for the paddles you may be able to do what we did in a similar situation with Mustangs. Dump the contents of the box for a car with the paddles and one without and everything else as close as possible and you may be able to see the differences. In the Mustang example, the difference was just 4 bytes which basically existed for no other reason but to PREVENT someone retrofitting an option. Of course that alone won't help unless you have a way to update the code in a car but maybe some of the tune flashing folks can come up with a way if there's some money in it for them.

I've asked some of the guys selling tunes for this car and so far no luck

pissedoffwookiee
03-19-14, 02:54 PM
try the guy that reprograms XTS and enables the intellibeam, he does GM custom reprogramming his biz is called 'whiteautoandmedia'

Ragtop 99
03-19-14, 09:27 PM
I've asked some of the guys selling tunes for this car and so far no luck The only thing i see in HPT is that you can switch between "serial" and "hardwire" for the shift controls. my car is serial. I don't see anything obvious that enables paddles separate from the shift lever.