: New Member restoring 67' Coupe Deville. few questions.

HeavyMetalCaddy
05-19-13, 02:59 PM
Hey guys. I Just purchased this 67 deville a couple weeks ago. Wevhave it most the way torn apart and I'm currently removing rust out of the interior.

My question is.. how the heck sm I suppose to remove the rust behind the three layers of skeleton they have under the body skin!?
Currently the wire wheelnon my grinder is removing all traces of rust from the floorboards but I just don't know what to fo inside of door panels and begind crossmembers etc..

csbuckn
05-19-13, 03:03 PM
By hand with steel wool, maybe. What is the picture of? Steel wool might clean it up enough to put some paint, sealer or rust preventer on it.

HeavyMetalCaddy
05-19-13, 03:52 PM
Sorry about the spelling. I'm on my phone and it is ridiculous choosing fake words..

Anyhow that photo is my rear dash.. and steel wool wouldn't work some of the gaps.are less than 1/8th of an inch under the crossmembers on the roof and I know there is rust under there.

Also. Behind the bodyn skin into the interior there are like 2 skeletons of deep framing.. I know there are tons of areas I wouldn't be able to reach a tool :(

I want to do a proper restoration and leave behind no traces of any rust anywhere

jayoldschool
05-19-13, 04:30 PM
Wow, was it dropped in the ocean? You're not going to get all the rust out unless you drill out every spot weld, take the panels apart, etc. So, you need to just look at spraying everywhere you can get to with some sort of rust encapsulator. POR15 would be a good choice.

HeavyMetalCaddy
05-19-13, 05:08 PM
I know it seems bad but believe it or not. The entire body and all the chrome etc. are extremely straight with hardly any rust on the exterior or underbody.
Only rust is inside around the rear window, Floor pans, etc. It just seems like all the weatherstripping has gone bad allowing condensation and water into the interior.
Also I only have to weld in two small areas in the front left and right rear floor pans. Those are the only places the whole car that has rusted through. Everything else is surface rust.

I might just drill out the spot welds so I can do this all right. I plan on using por15 to coat ALL of the interior metal.

----------

I don't know if spraying a encapsulator behind all the panels is the best idea or not.. just trting to get ideas.. I worry I would miss a spot and all this hardwork would rust through down the line

outsider
05-19-13, 09:30 PM
I'd spray some por15 in there.

jamespowers
05-20-13, 01:01 AM
I'd take it to my local sand blaster have have him strip the whole body. The sand gets everywhere. :p

csbuckn
05-20-13, 03:11 AM
I'd take it to my local sand blaster have have him strip the whole body. The sand gets everywhere. :p

Sounds like a very good option

jamespowers
05-20-13, 01:23 PM
Sounds like a very good option

It might cost more up front but it is a heck of a lot less work and you are ready to do whatever you need to right after you blast everything off. You also find where you need to do body work that was once hidden. They can even media blast it with a less harsh substance if you don't like sand. They'll even do it with walnut shells. :p

HeavyMetalCaddy
05-20-13, 02:56 PM
Yeah. I know. I hear all kinds of good and bad things with media blasting. I've heard more horror stories than anything and especially on a long straight paneled car it can cause warping etc...

Hard work doesn't bother me. I enjoy it actually and when all is said and done I want to say "yeah, I did all that work myself" besides that saving the 1000-3000$ for blasting I can put that towards something else...

It seems to me the best option after wire wheel everything is to just coat everything in POR-15

albymangled
05-20-13, 05:15 PM
If you REALLY want to get in everywhere to remove rust and don't want to go the blasting route perhaps consider a soak in the stripper tank.

http://www.lmstripping.com/Home.html

We have a guy here in Adelaide whose services are popular.

http://www.minuspaint.com.au/

Maybe there is someone nearer to Seattle doing this kind of work.

jamespowers
05-20-13, 06:28 PM
If you REALLY want to get in everywhere to remove rust and don't want to go the blasting route perhaps consider a soak in the stripper tank.

http://www.lmstripping.com/Home.html

We have a guy here in Adelaide whose services are popular.

http://www.minuspaint.com.au/

Maybe there is someone nearer to Seattle doing this kind of work.

I thought about recommending that too. It is what they do to car bodies nowadays.

cadillacbart
05-21-13, 03:39 PM
You could try Eastwood foaming rust remover.