: Might Have to Sell Vagon for a More Fuel Efficient (But Fast!) DD Vehicle

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
05-19-13, 11:32 AM
Here's the situation. I've owned a '11 Vagon with Recaros since January of this year, and love it. It does everything I've asked of it, it's very comfotable, and I like its creature comforts. Not as fast as my GT-R, but that's apples and oranges. Anyway, just had an offer on a home accepted, so we'll be moving in July. The problem is, my commuting distance will double, and I estimate my daily R/T to be between 70 to 80 miles. Based upon the fuel economy of this vehicle, I estimate that I'll be filling up twice a week, at the end of every third work day. So I am considering the possibility of selling the Vagon and getting something more fuel efficient. The problem is, look at my past vehicles, I've definitely always had a need for speed! :) So here's what I'm looking for:

Relatively fuel efficient (18MPG or better City, 20 MPG or better HWY)
Fast (come on, I can't be driving a grocery getter or a Prius!)
Not out of this world maintenance/service costs
Preferably AWD (RWD okay but a great set of snow tires must get me through the occasional snow in the DC area)
Space to comfortably seat my eight year old in the back

Thanks!

pronacyk
05-19-13, 11:50 AM
335(x)i. Easy 400rwhp with simple bolt-ons and around 27-30 mpg on the freeway.

VMoose
05-19-13, 11:51 AM
Many people have reported getting 20 MPG hwy with the CTS-V...

Is vehicle price a consideration?

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
05-19-13, 12:05 PM
I have been averaging 14.8 MPG the past two or three months. That is a combination of 10% city/town and 90% highway, so that's probably the best I'm going to do. As far as price, I don't want to exceed the price range of a V, and used is better.

----------

335(x)i. Easy 400rwhp with simple bolt-ons and around 27-30 mpg on the freeway.
Cost of those, "simple", mods? How about regular maintenance on BWM'ers?

thebigjimsho
05-19-13, 12:36 PM
A bike.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
05-19-13, 12:57 PM
A bike.
You're funny, Mr. Burgundy!

M5eater
05-19-13, 01:51 PM
There's nothing sold in N/A that's going to fit your bill in a wagon form.

What kind of fast are you looking for? Are you also looking for luxury?

an ATS4 3.6 is a sub 6 second car that manages 18/28 if you're wanting to keep it in the family, and being the same V6 in the camaro if you really wanted there's a lot of aftermarket for it both in N/A and F/I form.

Otherwise you're looking at;
B8 S4
335xi
A6 3.0T
535xi
If you're willing to come down market and go up a size;
300C/charger R/T AWD
Taurus SHO
and I can't believe I'm saying this, but If you're willing to look @ Chrysler products and the Taurus, I'd consider Lincoln as well. They look great these days, (although they're expensive). The MKZ is basically the fusion but can be optioned with a 3.7L V6 and AWD, and the MKS of course is just the SHO with the tinsel of luxury. You really just need to be incredibly in love with the styling to justify it.

The Holden commodore is coming back as the Chevrolet SS later this year if you can wait.

Mercedes C350 and the E class V6 are similar to the ATS in that they'll go reasonably well but have 0 opportunity for expansion.

VMoose
05-19-13, 01:55 PM
Audi Q5 TDI? Will have ~400 ft-lb of tq. Should be very nice and sprightly.

As expected, the turbodiesel Q5 impressed us with its mammoth torque reserve - 428 lb-ft are available and it feels like it. The Q5 TDI surges away from a stop with authority and in relative quiet. There's very little of the characteristic diesel engine din here. With power from very low rpm nearly all the way to its sub-5000 rpm redline, it's easy to be traveling well in advance of the speed limit without realizing it.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/1207_2013_audi_q5_first_drive/#ixzz2Tl6Jetqb

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
05-19-13, 02:05 PM
Given all the vehicles mentioned so far, none of them would make me want to sell the V and buy one of them to take its place as a DD. Also, considering what I'd probably lose on selling my Vagon (bought for $52K, has 12,500 miles now, put on a full Clear Bra, so let's call it $53K), I'm guessing I could only sell it for between $48K-$50K. The money I'd save in gasoline over, say, 18 months, wouldn't make up that $3K to $5K loss. I may just have to keep the V and rack up the miles and double my gasoline bill each month, until such time I'm settled into the new house and have sold the old.

M5eater
05-19-13, 02:15 PM
Given all the vehicles mentioned so far, none of them would make me want to sell the V and buy one of them to take its place as a DD. Also, considering what I'd probably lose on selling my Vagon (bought for $52K, has 12,500 miles now, put on a full Clear Bra, so let's call it $53K), I'm guessing I could only sell it for between $48K-$50K. The money I'd save in gasoline over, say, 18 months, wouldn't make up that $3K to $5K loss. I may just have to keep the V and rack up the miles and double my gasoline bill each month, until such time I'm settled into the new house and have sold the old.

The CTS-V Wagon is a unicorn among the automobile world. To suggest replacing it is an impossible task if you're looking for the exact same qualities.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
05-19-13, 02:21 PM
The CTS-V Wagon is a unicorn among the automobile world. To suggest replacing it is an impossible task if you're looking for the exact same qualities.
One of the two most appealing things to me about the V is it being one of the fastest cars on the road, and how unique they are (as opposed to seeing Porches, Mustangs, Camaros, Vettes, etc., all over the place. I like having someone that not many other people have and is insanely fast. The wagon is even more unique.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-19-13, 05:12 PM
We see you've decided to stay in the Vagon, CTS-V Dragon Wagon! We hope that the transition between homes goes smoothly and that the V helps make the commute a pleasure rather than a task.

All the best,
Sarah
Cadillac Customer Care

1997BlackETC
05-19-13, 05:29 PM
Why not just do what I did an get a second car as your commuter car, I got a VW TDI Wagon and it is alot more fun to drive than I thought it would be. Maybe keep your eyes open for a used one. You can do some mods to that like a tune to make it even better. It handles a lot better than I thought it would too. Is also comfortable. Great daily driver car. This will allow me to keep my V in nice and new shape and it will be that much more fun when I do get behind the wheel of the Vagon.

Jinx
05-19-13, 10:33 PM
Does the eight year old have to sit in the back? Because otherwise the wicked fast fuel efficient winter-tire-equippable affordably maintained car you're looking for is called the Corvette.

StoneCrab
05-20-13, 12:03 AM
Interesting situation, and I can certainly understand your perspective. I drive a lot, sometimes 3000 miles a month or more. I have always been a gearhead though, and it seems I've always had something fast in the garage. Most recently I had a C6 Z06 as my fun car, and a VW TDI Passat as my daily driver. But I recently sold the Z06, in part because I drove it less than 3000 miles a year and just couldn't justify the car sitting in the garage almost all the time. The VW is a solid car, gets incredible MPG, large and comfortable for family travel as needed, but it is boring. I can feel the itch starting and have already been perusing different options for a 'fun' car. But this time I may do it differently. I'm considering a V wagon as my daily driver and my fun car - to which it is uniquely suited. I would be pouring in the fuel but the way I see it that fuel cost would be offset by the fact that I wouldn't have another vehicle. I'm more concerned about depreciation expense as I rack up so many miles. All cars depreciate though - even high MPG commuters, just a matter of what they cost going in.

I had an 09 V sedan which I really liked so I know what I am getting into. It was not my daily driver at the time and I wish I had driven it more. These are cars, not investments, and are meant to be driven. The difference between a 20k mile V and a 50k mile V is not that much. Depreciation is a much larger expense than fuel in almost all new(ish) cars.

1997BlackETC
05-20-13, 12:44 AM
3000 miles a month in a V is nearly 1000 bucks in a month in gas, ask me how I know why? In my TDI it's 350 a month in diesel. Soooo, $650 savings a month in fuel costs is $7800.00 per year, plus I keep the V in nice shape and not all beat up as a daily driver like dings in the rims, pitted front end etc. It costs a grand a year to insure my TDI. This does not even count the super high tire replacement costs of the V, the tires on the TDI will go 50,000 miles and are cheap. I really like the TDI, comfortable and the bluetooth audio is great, just put a holder on the dash for my Galaxy cell phone today and can see song artwork and titles as I drive. Sound system in the TDI is much better than the V. TDI is much more easy to park, much better turning radius, easier carefree driving. The V is a great weekend car and loads of fun, just not very practical in the real world.

musclecar6
05-20-13, 08:00 AM
I think you've come up with the right answer. In the end, you'll be driving the V which you love, instead of something else, wishing you were in a V. Let the other guys cater to their rational practical side driving some econobox.

USAFRET
05-20-13, 08:34 AM
Does the eight year old have to sit in the back? Because otherwise the wicked fast fuel efficient winter-tire-equippable affordably maintained car you're looking for is called the Corvette.

My 06 LS2 easily returned 30 MPG in real world driving and my 07 Z06 easily returned 26 MPG in real world driving (all hand calculated). There's your cake and eating it too. And there are so many pre-owned "hangar queens" out there being dumped for the C7 one could walk into a nice 11/12/13 C6 for $40K, hell a brand new C7 lists for $51,900.

thebigjimsho
05-20-13, 09:01 AM
My '04 V would get 25mpg all day long on the highway. 27-28 if I really tried...

StoneCrab
05-20-13, 12:44 PM
3000 miles a month in a V is nearly 1000 bucks in a month in gas, ask me how I know why? In my TDI it's 350 a month in diesel. Soooo, $650 savings a month in fuel costs is $7800.00 per year, plus I keep the V in nice shape and not all beat up as a daily driver like dings in the rims, pitted front end etc. It costs a grand a year to insure my TDI. This does not even count the super high tire replacement costs of the V, the tires on the TDI will go 50,000 miles and are cheap. I really like the TDI, comfortable and the bluetooth audio is great, just put a holder on the dash for my Galaxy cell phone today and can see song artwork and titles as I drive. Sound system in the TDI is much better than the V. TDI is much more easy to park, much better turning radius, easier carefree driving. The V is a great weekend car and loads of fun, just not very practical in the real world.

Yeah, I hear you. But not sure it is quite that bad, depending on where and how you drive. If mostly highway, 3000 miles/month at 19MPG is 157 gallons, or $630 at $4/gallon. In the TDI, 3000 miles/month at 40MPG is 75 gallons, or $300 at $4/gallon. So maybe $350/month extra in fuel. Unleaded premium and diesel vary but are usually close to the same price. The OP would have about $250 difference at about 2000 miles/month. You might be able to coax a few more MPG out of the V on the highway if driven nicely.

Now, we are comparing apples and oranges though - one of the highest MPG commuter cars against one of the lowest MPG performance sedans. In my mind, that fuel premium is well justified for what you get in the vehicle. It is hard to swallow the extra expense, but if you compare against a more similar vehicle like AMG C/E-class or M3/M5 it isn't as bad. Fuel cost is dwarfed by depreciation in any of these examples anyway, and the V's lower cost of entry (relative to AMG and M cars) helps it in that comparison. Gotta pay to play though and those horses are thirsty.

I just did a quick scan at Tire Rack and found some tires for the V that are not any more than decent tires for my VW, if you are willing to consider something different than Michelin. Also, keep in mind that VW wants a $1000+ timing belt at 130k miles, $500+ DSG fluid changes every 40k. Don't get me wrong, the VW TDI is a good car, heck I bought one. Very comfortable, large, and insane MPG, just a little boring for my taste. Part of my thinking is also that the V wagon is probably the last manual transmission, (very) high performance wagon that we'll see here in the US. I'd love an AMG E estate, but wow those are expensive and still no manual transmission.

thebigjimsho
05-20-13, 03:10 PM
Yeah, I hear you. But not sure it is quite that bad, depending on where and how you drive. If mostly highway, 3000 miles/month at 19MPG is 157 gallons, or $630 at $4/gallon. In the TDI, 3000 miles/month at 40MPG is 75 gallons, or $300 at $4/gallon. So maybe $350/month extra in fuel. Unleaded premium and diesel vary but are usually close to the same price. The OP would have about $250 difference at about 2000 miles/month. You might be able to coax a few more MPG out of the V on the highway if driven nicely.

Now, we are comparing apples and oranges though - one of the highest MPG commuter cars against one of the lowest MPG performance sedans. In my mind, that fuel premium is well justified for what you get in the vehicle. It is hard to swallow the extra expense, but if you compare against a more similar vehicle like AMG C/E-class or M3/M5 it isn't as bad. Fuel cost is dwarfed by depreciation in any of these examples anyway, and the V's lower cost of entry (relative to AMG and M cars) helps it in that comparison. Gotta pay to play though and those horses are thirsty.

I just did a quick scan at Tire Rack and found some tires for the V that are not any more than decent tires for my VW, if you are willing to consider something different than Michelin. Also, keep in mind that VW wants a $1000+ timing belt at 130k miles, $500+ DSG fluid changes every 40k. Don't get me wrong, the VW TDI is a good car, heck I bought one. Very comfortable, large, and insane MPG, just a little boring for my taste. Part of my thinking is also that the V wagon is probably the last manual transmission, (very) high performance wagon that we'll see here in the US. I'd love an AMG E estate, but wow those are expensive and still no manual transmission.Exactly.

When people try to justify these amazing cost savings, they constantly go worst case scenario for the V and best case scenario for the efficient car. The V's highway mpg will be about 1/2 of the VW. Diesel is more expensive. I bought Hankook V12 evos, installed, for under $900. Brake pads will last as long, or close.

I've got no problems with people looking for more fuel efficient alternatives when DD'n their cars. But be accurate.

1997BlackETC
05-20-13, 04:41 PM
One consideration I had too was my Handcycle will fit in the back of the Jetta Wagon, but not the V Wagon, there is just not enough height as the roofline is low.

Chrispy
05-20-13, 05:29 PM
10% city and 90% HW and you're only getting 14.8mpg? Are you averaging 110mph? :)

You can easily get 20mpg out of the caddy on the highway.

neuronbob
05-20-13, 06:10 PM
10% city and 90% HW and you're only getting 14.8mpg? Are you averaging 110mph? :)

Yeah, this. :)

cdog533
05-20-13, 07:10 PM

I get in the low 15 mpg range, with 70% highway/30% city... Maybe you can get 20+ driving across the country on I-80.

As far as this whole mpg thing, you can really cut gas costs if you don't drive the V at all. And Ownership costs really drop if you just don't buy it in the first place.

Life is too short to drive sucky cars. The MORE miles I drive, the MORE I can justify having a great car like the V. Think of it like this, if you had to watch TV for 4 hours a day, would you want a 13" b/w TV or a 65" HD LED TV?

Chrispy
05-21-13, 09:56 AM
I get in the low 15 mpg range, with 70% highway/30% city... Maybe you can get 20+ driving across the country on I-80.

As far as this whole mpg thing, you can really cut gas costs if you don't drive the V at all. And Ownership costs really drop if you just don't buy it in the first place.

Life is too short to drive sucky cars. The MORE miles I drive, the MORE I can justify having a great car like the V. Think of it like this, if you had to watch TV for 4 hours a day, would you want a 13" b/w TV or a 65" HD LED TV?

If your post is directed at me you're preaching to the choir. I won't even buy a winter beater here in Canada, I drive my new 2012 V wagon year round through all weather.

I just don't know how he's getting an average of 14.8mpg driving 90% highway. I'm 95% city and 5% highway and manage 15.5mpg average over 10K km.

Instant fuel economy on the highway at 75mph is still 18-19mpg. (I'm a six speed manual so maybe that makes a big difference) I'm by no means a light foot either.

Cheers
Chris

HUGN*RDS
05-21-13, 11:05 AM
Stick with a gm 4cyl my second car is a Saturn ion redline I know they don't make them any more but you could get your hands on a new turbocharged ss cobalt and that would be fun and get good mileage. The old cobalt and Saturn are supercharged but the new cobalt is a turbo D.I. and has much more output. I average 25 city and 31 hwy, the new ones might be different. They're in the mid-teens for prices. Good luck! Btw I do about 2500 miles per month for work commuting so the V only sees a small fraction of that.

ehrasmuss
05-21-13, 12:20 PM
Get yourself a second Caddy...a VW Caddy. All the usefulness of a pickup truck but the fuel efficiency of a car. See mine in the background behind my Vagon!

GNENSEC
05-21-13, 08:49 PM
Bmw 550i

1997BlackETC
05-21-13, 10:54 PM
Looks like a VW Jetta wagon in the garage too, VW's Rock!!!. Nice looking V wagon, love the color combo with yellow calipers.

sybersport
05-24-13, 04:54 PM
Do what I did - order a 2014 Jeep GC SRT. 470HP, AWD.

Oh wait, you wanted BETTER than 18mpg. Oops.

:)

DPL
05-24-13, 08:44 PM
Glad I saw this thread. I have come into a similar situation. I've been recently driving my V sedan 70ish miles everyday and the car is taking a beating. Highway speeds, stupid drivers, trucks and flying debris, parking on busy streets...some asshat smacked into the rear quarter of my car while parked and its now in the shop!

I'm looking at a Volt as a daily commuter. But I dunno, I like power too much.

I just don't want to beat the V up anymore.

(fortunately I have a regular CTS as a loaner and I am enjoying beating it up!)

1997BlackETC
05-25-13, 01:46 AM
Check out a VW TDI, nice cars.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
05-25-13, 08:52 AM
Glad I saw this thread. I have come into a similar situation. I've been recently driving my V sedan 70ish miles everyday and the car is taking a beating. Highway speeds, stupid drivers, trucks and flying debris, parking on busy streets...some asshat smacked into the rear quarter of my car while parked and its now in the shop!

I'm looking at a Volt as a daily commuter. But I dunno, I like power too much.

I just don't want to beat the V up anymore.

(fortunately I have a regular CTS as a loaner and I am enjoying beating it up!)
That is so irritating. Did the person that hit your V stop and provide contact information, or was this a hit and run?

DPL
05-25-13, 12:40 PM
Nah, he totalled his car, couldn't get away

elevated
05-25-13, 02:40 PM
I am in the same boat.....I have a new 75 mile round trip each day, and the fueling up twice a week is adding up. I get around 17 mpg, which is about 95% highway and little traffic. The other annoying thing is the small gas tank size in our cars.

My solution I'm currently considering: 2012 E63 AMG. The new twin turbo motors get 24mpg highway, and quicker than the previous 2010 n/a motors. The new E63's are monsters and right on par with the CTS-V, if not quicker.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
05-31-13, 08:16 AM
Going to have to hang on to the V for a while, since I'm closing on a house in July, and have to get my current house sold. Besides, I only have 13K miles on the Vagon, and plenty left on the CPO warranty.

stl_ls1gto
05-31-13, 08:41 AM
where have you been? They have not made the Cobalt for a couple years. The Cruze replaced it awhile ago.

Stick with a gm 4cyl my second car is a Saturn ion redline I know they don't make them any more but you could get your hands on a new turbocharged ss cobalt and that would be fun and get good mileage. The old cobalt and Saturn are supercharged but the new cobalt is a turbo D.I. and has much more output. I average 25 city and 31 hwy, the new ones might be different. They're in the mid-teens for prices. Good luck! Btw I do about 2500 miles per month for work commuting so the V only sees a small fraction of that.

----------

check out the new Cruze turbodiesel coming this next year....realworld 46mpg highway with it. Great car. Keep the wagon.

texasnoiz
05-31-13, 11:27 AM
From an Evo9 to V10 M5 to V8 M3 the main issue was unnecessary wear and tear - as noted above - going to shopping venues and such. Most on this forum have spent $50-$70K on V purchases so fuel costs are secondary issues for most. As automotive enthusiasts the desire for less than ordinary rides trump 'financials'. There is no easy out here. Maybe add a Jetta wagon as many are suggesting or if awd is needed perhaps Subaru STi wagon deserves mention - though smaller than CTS.

I'mAllIn
05-31-13, 08:38 PM
WRX STi, 5 door hatch. We had a 2010. Great car, snow friendly, good space and utility and a blast to drive.

lilred
05-31-13, 09:07 PM
Tesla Model S :P

1997BlackETC
06-01-13, 02:10 AM
To the poster that was talking about the 2012 E63 AMG, might want to wait until the 2014 comes out, it will be AWD and 0 to 60 in 3.4 seconds, quite the car.

thebigjimsho
06-03-13, 01:04 PM
And uglier.

M5eater
06-03-13, 01:44 PM
I am in the same boat.....I have a new 75 mile round trip each day, and the fueling up twice a week is adding up. I get around 17 mpg, which is about 95% highway and little traffic. The other annoying thing is the small gas tank size in our cars.

My solution I'm currently considering: 2012 E63 AMG. The new twin turbo motors get 24mpg highway, and quicker than the previous 2010 n/a motors. The new E63's are monsters and right on par with the CTS-V, if not quicker.
Please tell me your considering the Benz because it's a nice car, and not because of this brain fart..

Let me get you in on a little secret regardless;

EPA testing is a 40 year old rigged joke.

HUGN*RDS
06-04-13, 04:48 PM
where have you been? They have not made the Cobalt for a couple years. The Cruze replaced it awhile ago.

hey..well he didn't say it needed to be a new car. besides, I think the cruise is much, much uglier than the cobalt I was talking about.

thebigjimsho
06-05-13, 09:24 AM
The Cruze is much better looking than the Cobalt...

1997BlackETC
06-05-13, 12:18 PM
The Cruze is much better looking than the Cobalt...

Naw, my VW Jetta Sportwagen is the best looking car ever. I'm thinking about a trip to Fla to get my V, I miss it. I think I'll just bring both cars back and forth between up north and fla every year.

pat2t2f
06-05-13, 01:28 PM
It must be nice to have money to throw away. Will you adopt me??

RaVeNous
06-06-13, 12:42 PM
Naw, my VW Jetta Sportwagen is the best looking car ever. I'm thinking about a trip to Fla to get my V, I miss it. I think I'll just bring both cars back and forth between up north and fla every year.

:helpless:

CTS-V Dragon Wagon
06-08-13, 10:00 AM
It must be nice to have money to throw away. Will you adopt me??
Who is the one with money to throw away?

pat2t2f
06-08-13, 11:06 AM
Black etc.

He bought a Jetta wagon to save money on gas with with V when he goes to RI every summer and now he is going to transport both card back and forth. It seems like a lot of extra expense for almost no savings.

spearfish25
06-08-13, 11:15 AM
How is buying a $40k more expensive E63 AMG the answer to spending $2k/yr extra on gas for the V due to poor gas mileage?

You'll be driving the AMG 20 years before you've made up the cost difference in fuel.

pat2t2f
06-08-13, 11:24 AM
Which is why I think ETC has money to throw away. He bought 2 brand new cars this year and is talking about the merc.

Random84
06-08-13, 03:42 PM
We all make our own decisions. No need to hate. :D

FWIW I still think a second vehicle to "save gas" on the first is just a bad idea. You want two (or three) vehicles with different styles and purposes? No problem - get them and call it what it is: the luxury of variety.

But using fuel efficiency as the motivating reason is just unreasonable in the vast majority of normal-people situations.

pat2t2f
06-08-13, 04:02 PM
I don't hate. I have 3 cars myself.

spearfish25
06-08-13, 06:01 PM
I can understand another vehicle if the payment and monthly fuel and insurance come out to less than V fuel alone. Say you spend $600/mo in gas for the V. Leasing a Prius for $350 and spending $150/mo in gas is slightly cheaper. But factor in insurance and you should have stayed with the V alone.

If he wants a Merc, go get a Merc. But this business of gas mileage as the reason is silly.

stl_ls1gto
06-09-13, 01:46 AM
hey..well he didn't say it needed to be a new car. besides, I think the cruise is much, much uglier than the cobalt I was talking about.

He said to buy a NEW cobalt....not possible man....I doubt there are any leftover for more than 2 years. While I did appreciate the powertrain and drivetrain of the SS model, the rest of the car sucked.

----------

I can understand another vehicle if the payment and monthly fuel and insurance come out to less than V fuel alone. Say you spend $600/mo in gas for the V. Leasing a Prius for $350 and spending $150/mo in gas is slightly cheaper. But factor in insurance and you should have stayed with the V alone.

If he wants a Merc, go get a Merc. But this business of gas mileage as the reason is silly.

I agree with you. $600 a month in gas puts you driving 27000 miles a year, at $4/gal and 15mpg. That is way more than most people drive so, higher than premium in most states, and a low mpg for driving that many miles at a presumably highway pace if you are accumulating that kind of mileage per year - definitely a worst case scenario. And even with that, it still does not make sense financially to buy a New high milege car to save money. Get a beater under 5 grand that gets at least high 20's mpg and put all the miles on that for a few years, then it will probably work out financially in the long run.

Now if you just dont want to put that many miles on the V, or subject it to the daily grind and damage/maintanence/upkeep that goes with driving that many miles, that is a separate issue.

thebigjimsho
06-09-13, 07:37 PM
Buy what you want. Drive what you want. Just don't whine and complain when you have money to burn.

HUGN*RDS
06-10-13, 05:34 PM
He said to buy a NEW cobalt....not possible man....I doubt there are any leftover for more than 2 years. While I did appreciate the powertrain and drivetrain of the SS model, the rest of the car sucked.

----------
you're right I did say new cobalt but I was saying new, as in new'er than the old cobalt which is not turbocharged but instead supercharged. new cobalt vs. old cobalt

undertaker
06-16-13, 11:01 AM
my V and vette are toys, most of the time I'm beating up my TDI jetta to and from work (32k miles in 2 years) if its nasty and snowy the 2500 suburban. If its nice out and I'm in the mood the V or the vette (if I know I won't be sitting in stop in go traffic with a dead leg from a twin disc clutch). I pay 500 a month for the VW and I'm saving 450 a month as compared to the suburban i was using to commute. V gets about 5k a year for milage, suburban 6-7k at this point (just hit 103k, waiting on the new body style and a diesel to replace that since its been trouble free so far). The TDI does have its place as a beater and commuter and is something i'm willing to take to parking lots that actually fits in the spots as compared to the suburban

My name is Steve and I have a problem with too many cars...

neuronbob
06-16-13, 12:57 PM
I'm thinking about paying $5000 for a cheapo beater now that I've put 10k miles on my wagon in six months.

Gas mileage is not the reason for the thought, just that I think I want to try keeping the V really nice. However, high gas mileage WILL help to keep the operating cost of said beater down. I'll think harder about it at the end of the year when my V wagon is paid off (years early, I have decided I hate having a car payment :) ). Then, my only monthly costs with the wagon will be gas and insurance. In the meantime, I have been driving my garage queen S2000 lots more lately now that it's warm. This is the year I put more than 2k miles on the S2000....

I have a problem with too many cars myself....

Jinx
06-16-13, 06:33 PM
My philosophy is simple. Own one car you love, drive it until something better comes along.

Owning two cars is like owning two computers -- whatever you need always seems to be in the other one.

JFJr
06-16-13, 06:53 PM
If you spend a lot of time in your car, drive what you like and forget about denying yourself that privilege. We only have so many years alive; if you're into self-denial, why? Before you know it, time will have introduced injury or worse. Also, cars are not great investments and really aren't museum pieces. I think that the reason my car is so trouble free is that I drive it every day. When you drive a car less, or worse, put it away, trouble starts. Maybe that's what distinguishes car guys from bean counters. My 2 cents as I approach 70.

Jud

1997BlackETC
06-16-13, 07:26 PM
The TDI is a great commuter car, easy to park and manuver around the city with a great turning radius. Economical and I find my Jetta TDI Wagen very comfortable.

neuronbob
06-16-13, 08:30 PM
If you spend a lot of time in your car, drive what you like and forget about denying yourself that privilege. We only have so many years alive; if you're into self-denial, why? Before you know it, time will have introduced injury or worse. Also, cars are not great investments and really aren't museum pieces. I think that the reason my car is so trouble free is that I drive it every day. When you drive a car less, or worse, put it away, trouble starts. Maybe that's what distinguishes car guys from bean counters. My 2 cents as I approach 70.

Jud

Thus the reason I have 10k miles on my V wagon in six months of ownership. I can't put it down. I just drove it down the street to AutoZone and back for useless stuff I didn't need urgently....just to drive the car. When I need a high-revving sports car and there's no rain, there's the S2000.

Mind you, I've been mulling over a cheapie beater since I had my first V, and simply never did it because I liked driving my old V so much. The new wagon, with its 6MT, is orders of magnitude better.

In any case, no decision will come until the wagon is paid off, and that will likely be at the end of the year.....and there's an about 80% chance I'll do nothing different. Just thinking out loud.

Oh hell, I think I'll just take another drive in the V tonight and forget about another beater. Again. :)

Jinx
06-16-13, 09:41 PM
Keep an ear to the ground for parts that get scarce, and you could keep your car going for a very long time.
And maybe, just maybe, they'll build something even cooler in the future.