: Overhead Console removal

romanats
05-18-13, 10:07 PM
Looking to install new Auto Dimming rearview mirror and need to pull down overhead
console to tap in to the power wirre from Map lights. I tried pulling on it and have no luck. Anyone removed the overhead console ? WHat is the proper way to remove it?

donavo
05-19-13, 11:46 AM
Looking to install new Auto Dimming rearview mirror and need to pull down overhead
console to tap in to the power wirre from Map lights. I tried pulling on it and have no luck. Anyone removed the overhead console ? WHat is the proper way to remove it?

Get a plastic tool or a very smoothly polished Swiss army blade. Put it in through the driver side rear corner of the whole plastic thing. As in where the plastic ends and the fabric begins. Just lift it enough to you can get a grip with your finger. The whole thing pop off with 4 connectors. One on each corner pretty much. Don't try prying it off from any other piece. Just the whole plastic top. Where it touches the fabric.

romanats
05-19-13, 12:27 PM
thanks man i already tried in the middle where the suroof buttons are and had no sucess

flycaster
05-19-13, 01:42 PM
Romanats, when you do get things hooked, if you are tapping into a hot wire that goes on/off with the ignition, tells us which one (color) it is.

ealakart
11-01-13, 12:37 PM
I'm also preparing to install a Gentex auto dimming rear view mirror with Home-Link in my 2013 ATS base model and it would be fantastic if anyone could share your experience and any tips or advice! Seems hooking up two hot wires would be needed, one constant and one thru ignition: Thanks in advance and HELP?!