: New tires installed last week--flat today!

HAMSTAR
05-18-13, 09:40 PM
Just bitchin. Waiting at a gas station for a tow.

Had some General G-Max AS 03s put on the car last week. Road force balanced and everything.

The one odd thing is that the installer insisted on inflating them to 36
PSI. Could that have contributed?

darkman
05-18-13, 10:02 PM

Nope.

Wingsfan4life
05-19-13, 10:53 AM
Probably a loose TPMS

HAMSTAR
05-19-13, 11:37 AM
Probably a loose TPMS

What makes you say that?

thebigjimsho
05-19-13, 12:41 PM
Can you see any puncture?

rand49er
05-19-13, 02:07 PM
Same thing happened to me when I had a set of GSD3s installed several years ago.

Stuff happens.

barrok69
05-19-13, 02:48 PM
Just bitchin. Waiting at a gas station for a tow.

Had some General G-Max AS 03s put on the car last week. Road force balanced and everything.

Generally the Tire pressure sticker on the door only refers to the OE tire (Goodyear F1 runflats? ). As soon as you put something different on your car that sticker can pretty much be thrown out as every tire manufacturer has different sidewall construction, tread compound and internal material overlays that will have different ride characteristics. A runflat has an extra layer of sidewall so generally doesn't need as much pressure to maintain an even contact patch. Going to a non-runflat tire it would be recommended that you increase your tire pressure a few psi.

If you are finding that the vehicle ride has become harsh at 36psi drop the pressure down a couple psi. It'll pretty much be trial an error. Keep an eye on tire wear and you should be fine. I run my 245/45R18 Michelin Super Sports at 30-32 psi and the ride is great.

Wingsfan4life
05-19-13, 02:53 PM
What makes you say that?

Because the last two sets of tires I've got (two different places)..., they didn't tighten the TPMS and I had flats..

HAMSTAR
05-19-13, 02:56 PM
Can you see any puncture?

No, not in the dark. I had it towed to the shop that installed it. Do any of you guys know what it takes to get a replacement under warranty if the tire was defective? I bought then through tire rack and had them installed by a preferred installer.

barrok69
05-19-13, 03:19 PM
No, not in the dark. I had it towed to the shop that installed it. Do any of you guys know what it takes to get a replacement under warranty if the tire was defective? I bought then through tire rack and had them installed by a preferred installer.

You most likely have a small puncture or the only other place that it could leak is the tpms/valve stem. In either case you won't be getting a replacement tire. Just have the shop pull the nail if it exists and install a plug and vulcanize the inside of the tire where the puncture is, then put a patch over it. If it turns out there is no puncture and you are still losing air, I would have the shop dismount the tire and clean up the rim bead of any corrosion (they should have done that before mounting the tires) and remount. I had a slow leak on one of my other cars tires and it turned out to be a cracked wheel!

Generally the only time a manufacturer will replace the tire is if you have an unusual malformation in the sidewall or if the tread cap is delaminating from the tire carcass.

You drive a car, you are more than likely to run over stuff. Punctures can happen on old tires and new. You most likely just have a case of bad luck. Either way the tire will most likely be able to be fixed without any durability concerns if you can't visually see any gouges in it.

HAMSTAR
05-19-13, 03:48 PM
Thanks for this great detail. Unfortunately, I could tell the tire was toast, even in the dark. It was actually my wife driving, with our baby in the car, and she had to drive it about 1/4 mile from the off-ramp to a gas station that was the first safe place to pull over. It was either that short drive or the puncture itself, but I could see the sidewall was ripped in at least one place.

You most likely have a small puncture or the only other place that it could leak is the tpms/valve stem. In either case you won't be getting a replacement tire. Just have the shop pull the nail if it exists and install a plug and vulcanize the inside of the tire where the puncture is, then put a patch over it. If it turns out there is no puncture and you are still losing air, I would have the shop dismount the tire and clean up the rim bead of any corrosion (they should have done that before mounting the tires) and remount. I had a slow leak on one of my other cars tires and it turned out to be a cracked wheel!

Generally the only time a manufacturer will replace the tire is if you have an unusual malformation in the sidewall or if the tread cap is delaminating from the tire carcass.

You drive a car, you are more than likely to run over stuff. Punctures can happen on old tires and new. You most likely just have a case of bad luck. Either way the tire will most likely be able to be fixed without any durability concerns if you can't visually see any gouges in it.

----------

You know a lot about tires, and you explain yourself well. Indeed, the ride on the General G-Max's at 36 PSI was awesome. Much better grip, better cornering and smoother ride than the previous summer tires I had on there at 32 PSI.

Generally the Tire pressure sticker on the door only refers to the OE tire (Goodyear F1 runflats? ). As soon as you put something different on your car that sticker can pretty much be thrown out as every tire manufacturer has different sidewall construction, tread compound and internal material overlays that will have different ride characteristics. A runflat has an extra layer of sidewall so generally doesn't need as much pressure to maintain an even contact patch. Going to a non-runflat tire it would be recommended that you increase your tire pressure a few psi.

If you are finding that the vehicle ride has become harsh at 36psi drop the pressure down a couple psi. It'll pretty much be trial an error. Keep an eye on tire wear and you should be fine. I run my 245/45R18 Michelin Super Sports at 30-32 psi and the ride is great.

thebigjimsho
05-19-13, 06:06 PM
Did you get TR's road hazard?

If it went down quickly and you have working TPMS, then it was probably a major catastrophic tire destruction. Did she notice any warning lights from low pressure?

TR may work with you even if you don't have road hazard...

HAMSTAR
05-19-13, 07:47 PM
Did you get TR's road hazard?

If it went down quickly and you have working TPMS, then it was probably a major catastrophic tire destruction. Did she notice any warning lights from low pressure?

TR may work with you even if you don't have road hazard...

No, I didn't buy road hazard :(

She didn't notice anything until the tire went out. She said it was like a sudden thwoosh, like a giant balloon ripping a fart.

Hopefully TR can work with me.

barrok69
05-19-13, 11:14 PM
Bummer on the no road hazard. Hopefully they will work with you.

I buy all my tires and wheels from Discount tire, even if they don't have them they will just buy them from tirerack or wherever online, pricematch and offer any promotions that currently are running and apply them to my purchase. I used to buy the road hazards, but found that they still pro-rate the tires even if you have a flat or catastrophic failure. I had a snow tire with a sidewall tear from a pothole. Brought it in and they said it only had 1/32" wear on it so they pro-rated it using whatever calculation they have and I only had to pay $20 for the new tire, and they balanced and installed for free.

AAIIIC
05-20-13, 10:14 AM
I'm going with leaking TPMS = running at lower than normal pressure for a while = sidewall failure. You won't get a low pressure alarm until somewhere around 20#, so if you don't pay attention you can drive around on an underinflated tire without getting an alarm.

HAMSTAR
05-20-13, 10:50 AM
I'm going with leaking TPMS = running at lower than normal pressure for a while = sidewall failure. You won't get a low pressure alarm until somewhere around 20#, so if you don't pay attention you can drive around on an underinflated tire without getting an alarm.

I drove around hard for a couple of days without any decrease in tire pressure. Also, doesn't TPMS warn you when you get a set PSI decrease? I've gotten low warnings on one of my old tires that used to lose air around 24 PSI.

Anyway, here is a picture of the tire. The shop says it looks like road hazard. If it is a road hazard, then someone either shot the sidewall on the freeway, or knifed it when it was parked or something. What does this look like to you guys?

thebigjimsho
05-20-13, 03:19 PM
It's hard to tell anything from that pic...

mstrjon32
05-20-13, 03:53 PM
I once drove over a piece of metal that did similar looking damage...

carlson_mn
05-20-13, 04:19 PM
These are the tires I plan on getting next... glad you liked them while it lasted. I had great luck with General tires previously they make good stuff. Cheapest price is from tirebuyer.com but not sure about their service.

AAIIIC
05-20-13, 04:41 PM
Anyway, here is a picture of the tire. The shop says it looks like road hazard. If it is a road hazard, then someone either shot the sidewall on the freeway, or knifed it when it was parked or something. What does this look like to you guys?
It looks like a 240x320 pixel picture of something. I didn't know it was possible to take a picture that small these days.

HAMSTAR
05-20-13, 05:20 PM
These are the tires I plan on getting next... glad you liked them while it lasted. I had great luck with General tires previously they make good stuff. Cheapest price is from tirebuyer.com but not sure about their service.

Tire rack sold me a replacement tire at half off as a couresty, because I had literally bought the last set last week. That was pretty decent of them. If you link through ebates, you also get a couple percent off.

After looking at the pictures, I'm convinced this was a road hazard if not an intentional knifing.

This reminds me of something. I have a creepy gangster-type relative that lives in another country. He once explained to me the etiquette of cutting someone's tires. If you just want inconvenience them, cut their tires so they go flat right there. If you stop short of that, they may get a flat on the road, and that could lead to major damage or loss of life. Only do that if you want to hurt them.

----------

It looks like a 240x320 pixel picture of something. I didn't know it was possible to take a picture that small these days.

It's what I got from the shop. I'm just impressed they have a digital camera.

----------

Just bought road hazard protection on the 4 surviving tires since it's within 14 days of the original order. Hope I never use it.

Andringa
05-21-13, 02:14 AM
Now that you have road hazard coverage you are guaranteed to never need it. :)

odthetruth
05-21-13, 06:47 AM
http://distilleryimage7.s3.amazonaws.com/fcca6844b75411e2a46122000a9d0dc6_7.jpg

I know the feeling. Except this is very very easy to see. LOL
NYC potholes.

HAMSTAR
05-21-13, 08:07 AM
Sorry to hear that, Od. I've been meaning to ask you, how do you drive your car in NYC? I once used a 1/4 tank of gas in stop and go traffic driving across manhattan!

thebigjimsho
05-21-13, 01:31 PM
I would doubt its vandalism. I've seen plenty of scenarios of things that could gash a sidewall...

odthetruth
05-22-13, 03:51 AM
Sorry to hear that, Od. I've been meaning to ask you, how do you drive your car in NYC? I once used a 1/4 tank of gas in stop and go traffic driving across manhattan!

I daily my car in NYC all year round. I average around 10mpg or less, but truth of the matter is, my drive is pretty quick to and from the job to the house and its primarily at night. I try to dodge all the bullshit streets that I know are always in bad shape or under construction. If you get caught going northbound from midtown manhattan at like 5-6pm... forget it. You're talking 2-3 hours depending where you are going.

Point is to dodge the major streets depending on time of day. LOL

HAMSTAR
05-22-13, 11:28 AM
I daily my car in NYC all year round. I average around 10mpg or less, but truth of the matter is, my drive is pretty quick to and from the job to the house and its primarily at night. I try to dodge all the bullshit streets that I know are always in bad shape or under construction. If you get caught going northbound from midtown manhattan at like 5-6pm... forget it. You're talking 2-3 hours depending where you are going.

Point is to dodge the major streets depending on time of day. LOL

I have you beat by 1.9 mpg in Baltimore, lol. Yeah, it makes sense that if you live there, you driver smarter. By the way, do the cops give you trouble if your car is cammed with headers and catback, etc? That city is CRAWLING with popo with nothing to do, unlike Baltimore, where you pretty much have to stab someone in front of them to get them to lift an eyebrow.

odthetruth
05-23-13, 12:31 PM
I have you beat by 1.9 mpg in Baltimore, lol. Yeah, it makes sense that if you live there, you driver smarter. By the way, do the cops give you trouble if your car is cammed with headers and catback, etc? That city is CRAWLING with popo with nothing to do, unlike Baltimore, where you pretty much have to stab someone in front of them to get them to lift an eyebrow.

I've had the cops locally say "Lets hear it!" to me on more then one occasion. Once was just 2 guys in a squad car that really just wanted to hear it so I opened it up a bit for them. 2nd time was about 4-5 on foot patrol, and they had been out here writing tickets all week, so I didn't.

Its rare I get bothered in manhattan for noise. I have headers (not cammed) with open cutouts that I'm leaving open until I can replace the motor in the actual cutout mechanism. NYC pothole removed it completely off and severed the line as well.

In brooklyn, its more of a reason TO get stopped to get pulled over and for them to flashlight the interior of your car more then anything. In the bronx, they are ready to write tickets for ANY LITTLE THING. I got pulled two times in one night within 2 miles of each other picking someone up at a hospital in the bronx.

I also got pulled over once for the radar detector I have mounted into the rearview, at night, on 42nd st and 8th ave, while it was OFF. The cop (female) was a real bitch to me right off the gate. I didn't even know why I was being pulled over, since I was at the red light for a solid minute and some change before she knocked on my window. I told her I was going to record her, and when she came back, she was the nicest person I had ever heard before... but by then I was already pissed and kind of just brushed her off. Her partner asked her 'why'd you say it like that' and she was like 'he was recording'. LOL Truth is... there are alot of bored cops out here it seems.

I have her response, as well as the cops asking me to open it up locally on camera. LOL

So yeah, you'll get pulled over if you're a bit loud out here in general. LOL

thebigjimsho
05-23-13, 02:15 PM
It's amazing the derelicts they'll let be moderators around here...

:coffee:

AAIIIC
05-23-13, 02:15 PM
Radar detectors are illegal in NY?

50 4Ever
05-28-13, 12:47 PM
Probably a loose TPMSAn over tightened sensor can leak also. There is a torque spec for sensors, tighten them too much and squish the O-ring seal and it will leak. Also could be a loose or damaged Schrader valve. They replace them when getting new tires and maybe didn't tighten one. Regarding the picture, I had a tire that looked very similar, I drove over a pipe sticking up in a parking lot. About 5 miles down the road the damaged sidewall let loose.

odthetruth
05-31-13, 01:35 AM
Radar detectors are illegal in NY?

Only on commercial vehicles I believe. They aren't on normal passenger vehicles.