: oil overfill, how serious a problem?

baatar
05-18-13, 06:38 AM
Just discovered that the dealer overfilled the oil when they changed out the oil and filter recently. I checked the dipstick and it's well over the full mark. I called and asked them and they said they added 7 quarts and I know our manual says 6. 2012 V wagon.

In the past I've heard some folks say that the excess oil will just burn off but others say it can cause serious issues. Haven't heard one way or the other about the V2.

I'm overseas and have the only V that anyone has ever seen here, so the Caddy dealer clearly isn't used to Vs. If it's a serious issue I can take it back to them and try to have them drain some off, but getting there is not easy so if it will burn off on its own I'll probably take that path. Also I don't have any guarantee they won't mess something else up if I take it back to try to remedy it.

FYI I don't track or drive hard, aside from a few spirited bursts for a few seconds, up on-ramps and such.

What do you all think?

Trapspeed
05-18-13, 08:38 AM
Take it back and have them fix it...or drain some yourself and save the headache.

Zhariak
05-18-13, 08:42 AM
Just discovered that the dealer overfilled the oil when they changed out the oil and filter recently. I checked the dipstick and it's well over the full mark. I called and asked them and they said they added 7 quarts and I know our manual says 6. 2012 V wagon.

In the past I've heard some folks say that the excess oil will just burn off but others say it can cause serious issues. Haven't heard one way or the other about the V2.

I'm overseas and have the only V that anyone has ever seen here, so the Caddy dealer clearly isn't used to Vs. If it's a serious issue I can take it back to them and try to have them drain some off, but getting there is not easy so if it will burn off on its own I'll probably take that path. Also I don't have any guarantee they won't mess something else up if I take it back to try to remedy it.

FYI I don't track or drive hard, aside from a few spirited bursts for a few seconds, up on-ramps and such.

What do you all think?

If it was me, and dealer was close. I'd take it in and get them to correct it...

If I was international with a V and this happened. I'd either find a friend, or I'd do it myself and drain the oil, and refill it with the proper amount.

If they screwed up and overfilled it, would it be worthwhile checking to make sure they put the proper oil in, in the first place?

1997BlackETC
05-18-13, 01:12 PM
I don't see why people have to overfilling cars so much. Use to drive me nuts when I had my quick lube, I posted fill charts all over the garage, it was a waste of oil and can cause issues. I'd drain off the excess, it's not good being a quart over. You could end up with rear main leakage if driven too much like that.

Random84
05-18-13, 04:05 PM
Nothing bad if you're not beating on it.

Worse thing is extra foamy oil (with poor lubrication) while running, and a blown gasket or seal. If there's no puddle under the car, just drain a quart out, run it for a few minutes, and recheck for proper volume.

It happens.