: Results of winter wheel protection experiment

HurstGN
05-17-13, 05:56 PM
This was my first winter with the 09 CTS. I like the factory wheels just as they are, and I wanted to protect them from damage over the winter. In the past, winter has taken a toll on my wheels by getting under the clearcoat and causing corrosion that would require a complete refinishing of the wheel. Usually I'd buy a set of winter rims and swap wheels every winter. Well, I get tired of swapping wheels. So I decided to try something to protect the wheels from the harsh salt and other chemicals (dunno what all is in that brine they spray on the road, it may be more than salt).

So, I theorized that if I were to coat the wheels in something to provide a barrier to the salt, that the wheels would be protected. The barrier needed to be durable, yet easy to remove in the spring and not damage the clearcoat on the wheels. Yup, you guessed it, I decided to Plasti-Dip the wheels prior to winter. So I cleaned the wheels and dried them thoroughly, and applied the Plasti-Dip per instructions and let the wheels go (kinda) over the winter. I did get to wash the car once over the winter, so the wheels got sprayed off once during winter. I used black for 2 reasons. 1) If there was any damage or peeling of the Plasti-Dip during the winter, it would expose the polished aluminum wheel and be plainly visible. 2) Black matched the car so it wouldn't look too bad.

OK, so winter has come and finally gone (no thanks to Phil) and here's what the wheels looked like before removing the Plasti-Dip.

OK, peel of the Plasti-Dip to reveal the results. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The wheel looks like it did the day I coated it. No damage to the wheel. The Plasti-Dip did what I wanted. It didn't peel up at all around the edges...that I wasn't sure of when I started this experiment. Yea, I gotta take the wheel off to get the lug nuts and in the lug nut wells, but this was the big test, and the wheels were protected.

I'm happy with these results and thought I'd share with the board for those that may want to do this in the winter too.

amunderdog
05-17-13, 06:23 PM
http://www.vintagecardprices.com/pics/3285/187833.jpg

Ramv
05-17-13, 07:52 PM
Cool. How hard is it to get the Plasti dip off?

HurstGN
05-19-13, 04:46 PM
It's not that hard to remove. The best tip is to apply multiple light coats and build it up. The thicker the built up coating, the easier it is to remove.