: Clear/Tinted Corner Reflectors

EvanZaiNa
05-17-13, 01:39 PM
Just wondering if anybody's done clear or tinted corner reflectors (above the front wheel wells) and if so, where'd you get the materials/parts?

YoshiFD3S
05-17-13, 04:04 PM
/subscribed

Clear reflectors on this car would look awesome, especially on black.

EvanZaiNa
05-17-13, 07:37 PM
/subscribed

Clear reflectors on this car would look awesome, especially on black.

that's what i was thinkin' :) i pick up my raven ats next week after all the chrome trim and wheels have been painted/powder coated black!

donavo
05-17-13, 08:08 PM
that's what i was thinkin' :) i pick up my raven ats next week after all the chrome trim and wheels have been painted/powder coated black!

too much black looks dirty though...i agree on the anti orange however...i hate orange lights...makes it look pre 90s.

Stevo Supremo
05-17-13, 08:34 PM
I already hit them with a mixture of 95% clear 5% black paint through my HPLV gun, they look slick and still glow at night :sneaky:

Steve247
05-18-13, 02:25 AM
Where can we buy them in the after market ??? Any suggestions ??

EvanZaiNa
05-18-13, 01:13 PM
I already hit them with a mixture of 95% clear 5% black paint through my HPLV gun, they look slick and still glow at night :sneaky:

PHOTOS PLEASE!

I think I'd prefer clear on mine if there are any aftermarket ones out there.

Come to think of it, do we have aftermarket ANYTHING yet?

Y2tony3
05-20-13, 05:12 AM
Black paint clear coat...

EvanZaiNa
05-20-13, 02:34 PM
that looks real sharp! good work!

EvanZaiNa
05-20-13, 04:56 PM
just curious ... did you guys wet sand before spraying?

Y2tony3
05-21-13, 03:28 AM
I took my car to the paint shop to do other things to it and he just did it for me so I'm not sure how he did it. I'm sure he didn't sand it though. I wouldnt

EvanZaiNa
05-21-13, 05:54 PM
I took my car to the paint shop to do other things to it and he just did it for me so I'm not sure how he did it. I'm sure he didn't sand it though. I wouldnt

Dealership is blacking out my trim, but I totally forgot about those amber reflectors...d'oh!

I've tinted tail lights before and always wets sand with a very fine paper (usually around 600 grade) and wipe 'em down with alcohol after and dry after that. Funny: they look matte after the initial sanding but after the alcohol cleaning, you can't even tell they've been sanded.

I think I'll just pop these out with a plastic bone tool, clean, and shoot. Hopefully it'll come out as clean as yours!

flycaster
05-21-13, 06:13 PM
...I think I'll just pop these out with a plastic bone tool, clean, and shoot. Hopefully it'll come out as clean as yours!

Are you saying that those side markers just simply pry out with a plastic tool? If so,just where are the clips located (corners. sides, top, etc)?

EvanZaiNa
05-22-13, 02:11 AM
i don't actually know because i take delivery tomorrow...
but i've done similar ones like that...
if it seems like it will crakc/break under the pressure i'll leave it on and mask everywhere before shooting, but in my experience, taking the part out makes for better results...might just have the custom shop pop 'em out for me before i go home...

flycaster
05-22-13, 09:21 AM
Thanks, Evan... BTW, I have a glacier blue ATS and probably would have the markers painted the same color as the blue. My question is: I'm assuming that the color of the marker when signaling should be that amber color (might be a legal code???), and if so, how does one color the marker and still let the amber show through when lit? Or, does one give up on the amber color?

Stevo Supremo
05-22-13, 08:14 PM
PHOTOS PLEASE!

I think I'd prefer clear on mine if there are any aftermarket ones out there.

Come to think of it, do we have aftermarket ANYTHING yet?

check out this thread, took some pix of the car and the side markers are blacked out, up close they look like the white car that was posted above

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-ats-picture-forum/293329-bought-new-camera-took-some-pix.html

EvanZaiNa
05-22-13, 08:52 PM
Thanks, Evan... BTW, I have a glacier blue ATS and probably would have the markers painted the same color as the blue. My question is: I'm assuming that the color of the marker when signaling should be that amber color (might be a legal code???), and if so, how does one color the marker and still let the amber show through when lit? Or, does one give up on the amber color?

i only had access top right and couldn't find the tabs so i just carefully masked the car...

mine still shines through amber but are blacked out...i'm not a paint expert but i believe the difference is in the ratio...super high ratio of clear mixed in with the color...so i'd assume you could do it with blue in theory (after all, black should cover reflectivity more than blue)...

Stevo Supremo
05-22-13, 10:19 PM
say what? you masked the car off to do the reflectors? on the wheel well lining theirs just two torx screws to undo (they're right out in the open) then if you just pull back a little the reflectors just pop out easy-peasy

vvv335i
05-23-13, 11:50 AM
Does anyone sell aftermarket reflectors online? I have a lease and don't want to alter the factory reflectors

Stevo Supremo
05-23-13, 02:38 PM
Does anyone sell aftermarket reflectors online? I have a lease and don't want to alter the factory reflectors

do you know how easily you can get the paint off? lol

vvv335i
05-24-13, 11:43 AM
I have no idea how easy or not it is to get paint off of the reflectors. Seems like tint would be a good temp alternative. Does anyone have experience with lens tint? If so please provide links to buy and any tips to install.

Stevo Supremo
05-24-13, 11:58 AM
I have no idea how easy or not it is to get paint off of the reflectors. Seems like tint would be a good temp alternative. Does anyone have experience with lens tint? If so please provide links to buy and any tips to install.

honestly, if you're that paranoid about getting the stuff off, use VHT night shades. It looks like shit on tail lamps, but on side markers it looks great(smaller area), I had it on my markers for a week before I redid them in gloss black (wanted it deeper).

Night shades is its own remover, just spray it onto itself heavily then scrub with a rag, comes right off.

jeffroeson
05-30-13, 10:56 AM
I'm having my corner reflectors tinted today. GM is paying for my front bumper cover repaint due to pitting and I decided to get the reflectors tinted at the same time. Will post pictures this weekend.

flycaster
05-30-13, 12:37 PM
As I don't have the equipment to do the side markers, I had my paint/body shop guy give me an estimate to color them Glacier Blue...$50. I'm now debating if I want to remove them and bring them to the shop. This way I wouldn't have to wait around and could come back for them and he can reinstall them...as long as it isn't raining when I drive over.

Stevo Supremo
05-30-13, 12:47 PM
As I don't have the equipment to do the side markers, I had my paint/body shop guy give me an estimate to color them Glacier Blue...$50. I'm now debating if I want to remove them and bring them to the shop. This way I wouldn't have to wait around and could come back for them and he can reinstall them...as long as it isn't raining when I drive over.

$50 is reasonable,1/2 qt of automotive black is about $25, 1/2 qt of clear is about $21, and if you dont have a spray gun (a cheapy works fine for this) but even thats $50 lol.

But definatly take them out, its super easy, look inside the fenter fell, theirs a torx screw, take the one closest to the marker out, pull back the fender liner just a wee bit, dont worry about it warping, its some weird fabric shit lol The marker pops right out, took me 5 mins to take both mine out.

Too bad you didn't live close to me, I'd do 'em for $15 :P

flycaster
05-31-13, 07:09 AM
$50 is reasonable,1/2 qt of automotive black is about $25, 1/2 qt of clear is about $21, and if you dont have a spray gun (a cheapy works fine for this) but even thats $50 lol.

But definatly take them out, its super easy, look inside the fenter fell, theirs a torx screw, take the one closest to the marker out, pull back the fender liner just a wee bit, dont worry about it warping, its some weird fabric shit lol The marker pops right out, took me 5 mins to take both mine out.

Too bad you didn't live close to me, I'd do 'em for $15 :P

Thanks for the offer, Stevo. Believe me, if I lived near you, I'd give you $20 to do them (LOL). Also, I do appreciate the added detail to removing the markers. BTW, when the felt is moved back to expose the markers to pop them out, are the markers also attached to the light source that must be detached, or do the markers just pop out by themselves? I'm not a "real" modder, but will take my chances when I feel that I have good instructions to follow. Been raining a lot down here (big time rainy season has started), so I'm going to have to wait for a non-rainy day to get the markers to the body shop...but it's going to get done. Having the markers the same color as the car is way cool...

Stevo Supremo
05-31-13, 05:33 PM
gotcha! and yeah when you pull the pull the liner you'll see the marker sitting there, theirs just two clips you push in and the marker pops right out (it pops out towards the outside of the car) and yes, the lightbulb will be attached, but its just the standard car light socket, twist the plug counter clock wise and the bulb+socket pop out.

flycaster
06-01-13, 07:44 AM
gotcha! and yeah when you pull the pull the liner you'll see the marker sitting there, theirs just two clips you push in and the marker pops right out (it pops out towards the outside of the car) and yes, the lightbulb will be attached, but its just the standard car light socket, twist the plug counter clock wise and the bulb+socket pop out.

Great reply, Stevo...Thanks. We definitely need a DIY sub-forum as a lot of the "mod" info that is starting to appear on the ATS forums is all over the place. Needs to be centralized, eh?

Stevo Supremo
06-02-13, 02:06 AM
thats for sure, a DIY section WILL be needed, as for now? eh, not a lot going on in that department, but I see what you're saying, its too much work to look for this stuff at the moment

pwrsix
06-06-13, 11:05 PM
I have an STS-V and have been looking for clear lenses for my side marker lights but haven't been able to find any. The car is black so because I can't find them I thought I would spray them with the VHT night shades. My question: if I do this will the amber or red light still shine through? Will it look red or amber or just be lit up? I was also thinking about replacing the bulbs with LEDs but it might not be worth it if they don't shine through the tint.

EvanZaiNa
06-07-13, 05:49 PM
I have an STS-V and have been looking for clear lenses for my side marker lights but haven't been able to find any. The car is black so because I can't find them I thought I would spray them with the VHT night shades. My question: if I do this will the amber or red light still shine through? Will it look red or amber or just be lit up? I was also thinking about replacing the bulbs with LEDs but it might not be worth it if they don't shine through the tint.

Mine look dark and smokey. ALMOST black, but not quite. You have to look very hard and close to see any sort of amber.

When the light hits it, it still reflects well and reflects an amber color.

pwrsix
06-08-13, 08:19 AM
Maybe I posted this in the wrong forum. I saw that you guys were talking about tinting the corner reflectors but on my car the side markers actually have a bulb inside. Not just a reflector. My bad. I'm going to start a new thread in the other forum.

Stevo Supremo
06-08-13, 01:01 PM
i don't actually know because i take delivery tomorrow...
but i've done similar ones like that...
if it seems like it will crakc/break under the pressure i'll leave it on and mask everywhere before shooting, but in my experience, taking the part out makes for better results...might just have the custom shop pop 'em out for me before i go home...

no no, please dont go prying things, you'll brake it, I drew this up and I hope it'll be the last time anyone asks how to remove these lol .

http://i938.photobucket.com/albums/ad229/stevoelsupremo/Untitled-5_zps21ff944a.jpg (http://s938.photobucket.com/user/stevoelsupremo/media/Untitled-5_zps21ff944a.jpg.html)

once you pull back the fender lining a bit you'll see this exactly

flycaster
06-08-13, 05:02 PM
Damn fine work, Stevo. Well appreciated. As you know your stuff, let me ask this: Rather than leave my car at the shop, it would be more convenient to just pop the lens' and bring them over to the shop. How would you protect the car in case of driving in the rain while the lens are out...what would you use to cover the openings? Something that wouldn't effect the paint and would be easy to take off. FWIW, I've got painter's masking tape.

Stevo Supremo
06-08-13, 05:34 PM
no problem^ always like to help when I can and hope it helps others.

I'd never leave my car at a paint shop though just for two small easily removable pieces lol.

and as for covering, if it rains and you care enough to cover it I'd probably just ball up a grocery bag and stuff it in there and maybe some painters tape over it if you're concerned it'll come out.

jeffroeson
06-10-13, 08:09 PM
Finally got picture(s) to share. Had my front bumper cover repainted and tinted my side reflectors as a no-brainer. They cost $20 per lens. Also, since Stevo did such a great job with his sketch, have a picture showing the inside of the cover to help as well.