: 2 months, 4k mi, 74.5k mi total...Time to seafoam!

OMG
05-17-13, 12:57 PM
So I've officially had my CTS for 4k miles as of yesterday (4.2k today) so I because of the the dreaded valve build up and issue from and the higher mileage of my car I decided the best thing I could do for it was a little seafoam treatment.

Instead of doing the 1/3 in gas, oil and intake. I did 1/2 in oil and 1/2 in the intake I used the plug on top of the intake plenum where the oil gasses return. Popped it out and put a small (CLEAN) funnel which fit right in the hole. Started the car and started pouring slowly making sure the car didn't die. You want to do this when the car is slightly warm and not hot. I had gotten home and let the car cool with the hood open for 30 mins. A hot engine will vaporize the seafoam too quickly, you will know because the engine will not sputter easily and you will see a white smoke coming back.

After I finished the bottle immediatly turned off the engine and let it soak for 20 minutes. Then for the scary part...cranking it up. It took quite a few tries and some feathering of the pedal. It finally came to life...a HUGE cloud of smoke immediatly formed on the back and covered up my culdusac. :rofl: It stuck around for about 2 mins...

So now for the test drive...

As I'm exiting my neighbohood I decided to redline it to break off as much carbon as I could...the throttle response has greatly increased, the revs go up noticeably faster and she runs so much smoother...I also peaked in the rearview mirror after I let off the gas. Turns out when I stepped on the gas leaving the exit intersection I left another HUGE cloud of smoke...to the point where I had stopped traffic because nobody could see. :rofl: It was just begining to clear out as I was going over the hil about 1/4mi down.

Everyone at that intersection probably thought I had the most messed up Caddy.

Anyways got to the gas station poured in a bottle of Techron cleaner and fueled her up. When I got back pulled in the garage to listen for the noise (got a small garage so noises get amplifed in it). The fuel pump ticking was still there but overall the engine was quieter, even my dad noticed, not that it wasn't quiet already. But the biggest difference was the idle. I had a rough idling issue with the car that others on here have mentioned. It wasn't anything ground-shaking but it was annoying, if you sat in the car you could see the whole car shake. Now it is gone but it is normally worse when it's cold so I will be checking it out today to see if it fix the cold-rough idle.

Also when fully warmed she now idles at right above the 500RPM tick instead of the 800 mark. I'm not even sure how this was possible. We'll see if this sticks around.

Just ordered new Oil filter, Air filter, 6 spark plugs and a Cabin filter for when I try tackling the mold smell issue.

To sum it up, for those of you who have higher mileage CTS's with the DI I'd recommend giving this a shot it's a cheap $9 and if you do it right I think you'll be happy. Next time I think I'm going to make a video or something. I do not work for seafoam, I just learned about it years back from the Corvette community and it has helped many cars in our small fleet in the past. Some cars just don't need it though, my dad's chrysler mini-vans for example never sputter out more then a couple puffs of smoke more probably from the burning seafoam and that's about it. I'll be doing this every oil change to keep my valves as clean as I possibily can until I ever get a chance to clean her out.

rchern
05-17-13, 02:11 PM
Could you do the same thing by getting on the highway, dropping it down a couple of gears so it's a few hundred RPM's under redline and drive it like that for awhile then let off the gas, then get on it hard up to redline and repeat a few times? Think it's called a German tune-up, Italian tune-up etc.

OMG
05-17-13, 02:31 PM
Could you do the same thing by getting on the highway, dropping it down a couple of gears so it's a few hundred RPM's under redline and drive it like that for awhile then let off the gas, then get on it hard up to redline and repeat a few times? Think it's called a German tune-up, Italian tune-up etc.

:rofl: Yes I have heard of that. I'm just not really willing to risk the excessive wear&tear. Besides I would probably waste more then $9 in gas doing it that way probly. :)

rchern
05-17-13, 02:58 PM
You're not really beating on it, just driving it a little hard for a few minutes. I've heard that it's actualy good to drive an engine hard every once in a while. And, you're not even going to get close to using $9 in gas. I'm not trying to talk you into it, I'm just telling you what some people who work on cars tell me. If you're happy with the way you do it then it's a pretty cheap fix.

MoFex
05-17-13, 03:03 PM
You're not really beating on it, just driving it a little hard for a few minutes. I've heard that it's actualy good to drive an engine hard every once in a while. And, you're not even going to get close to using $9 in gas. I'm not trying to talk you into it, I'm just telling you what some people who work on cars tell me. If you're happy with the way you do it then it's a pretty cheap fix.

I agree with you. There is noting wrong with redlining the engine from time to time. Far worse is to "baby sit" it all the time.

jeffc83
05-17-13, 04:16 PM
I agree with you. There is noting wrong with redlining the engine from time to time. Far worse is to "baby sit" it all the time.

Good, then I've been treating my CTS very well;)

MoFex
05-17-13, 04:24 PM
Good, then I've been treating my CTS very well;)

You know what they say: use it or loose it ;)

Ramv
05-17-13, 08:36 PM
I would rather drive it hard than the described treatment. That sounds horrible. And certainly not in the scheduled maintenance. Redline and rev limiters are there for a reason, nothing wrong with using what the engine is designed for.

My big block runs like new and has 140k miles on it, literally running for an hour straight every few thousand miles at WOT at redline. (Towing over significant passes)New plugs and wires at 120k is the only maintenance. No special cleaners or anything random. Just driven hard. The caddy will spend plenty of time at redline too I am sure.

OMG
05-19-13, 02:43 AM
Believe me, my caddy hits redline everyday. I'm just letting you guys know this option works and it works because some people have doubts. But hey, no worries if the italian tune-up works for you then keep going for it!

gohawks63
05-19-13, 12:57 PM
Again guys, this may work for any buildup in the cylinder head and the exhaust valves, but it does nothing for the intake valves.

OMG
05-19-13, 10:09 PM
Again guys, this may work for any buildup in the cylinder head and the exhaust valves, but it does nothing for the intake valves.

It does though. The Cobalt SS Turbo guys with DI have the same problem as us with the intake valve build-up. Despite all the catch cans they still have the issue. A few members with 40-60k mi's who have SF'd their cars since news actually took pictures it does work.

I feel like I got 15hp back from my car. It's that noticeable.

Just got done doing the fiance's TL which smoked pretty bad too. Also my mom's Pacifica which has 165k mi's since we bought new. That smoked for almost 5 miles of driving at 5k rpm's.

Proper application is key. Make sure the car is warm not hot, suck it all in as fast as possible through the intake so it hits the valves and coats it. Wait a LEAST 15 mins, 25-30 mins is ideal. After starting it up it won't smoke right away, but as the carbon chunks will break off and you will start to smoke. For the fun part drive hard until it stops smoking.

Also please don't misunderstand it is not a cure for the problem. I am not delusional to think that my valves are spotless from this.

Ramv
05-19-13, 11:43 PM
If this is working as you described isn't it destroying the cats and voiding the emission warranty?

OMG
05-20-13, 01:47 AM
If this is working as you described isn't it destroying the cats and voiding the emission warranty? Any deposits fall in the combustion chamber where it is combusted at 1800F then enters the catalyct convertor which is running at 1400-1600F. Pretty sure it will burn off since it's carbon deposits.

I have not had any of my cats die from it (10 cars). But please I don't want anyone doing it if they believe it will hurt their cats and for whatever reason it does go bad. I've used it for a long time now and read up on it over the years and feel comfortable with it.

I will be doing this every oil change and maybe next year I will pull the intake manifold and take pics if anyone wants to compare valves of similar mileage.

CTSCHICK
05-20-13, 03:18 AM
From what I was told this weekend and over hearing talk with my b.f and his friends that still work for Gm dealers talking about 3.6's coming in with misfires due to gunked up valves on newer cars with under 30k miles you never know especially after what I went through with the 2.4 D.I. Ecotec in my G5 GT

I had a catch can on my G5 GT and still ended up getting the cylinder head replaced under warranty after fighting with GM for a couple of weeks.
Fortunately for me I had an Interceptor gauge in an SS pillar pod hooked up to my car that alerted me of Misfires but the misfire count wasn't high enough to set a DTC or SES light on the dash but they were still there and the engine was misfiring.
2 dealers just changed the injectors, plugs and coils along with a cardboard shim a hack tech put on the pcm thinking it was shaking or vibrating while driving and causing the misfires.
My b.f. got pissed off enough after seeing the cardboard shim and put a scope in the engine to look at the valves and determined that to be the cause.
After that it took Gm customer service a 3rd dealer and a GM engineer to finally get the cylinder head replaced

tinman
05-21-13, 09:07 AM
I'm glad to see that you immediately changed your oil.

I have no problem with the Seafoam treatment.