: 425 EFI Parts in Stockton, CA

ferrisworld
05-16-13, 04:56 AM
Hey guys. This isn't a real serious post. I've been wanting to convert to EFI for a while, and there's 1978 Deville at the Stockton, CA pick-n-pull with a T engine code vin, which means it at least came with EFI. I live in Sacramento which is an hour away, and I'm trying to decide if I should go down there and get the parts, or just keep waiting to see if one comes into one of the 4 pick-n-pulls closer to me. They have this new row52.com service that gives you a pic and the vin of all the cars they have.

Here's a link (http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/6D69T8Q161990) to the exact car. Interesting how it has a 79 grill, but still the 78 grill header.

jayoldschool
05-16-13, 11:48 AM
You already know the answer.

I've been wanting to convert to EFI for a while

Load up the tools, get in the car, and go collect the prize!

Fleetwood472
05-16-13, 11:49 AM
If it has EFI it's worth grabbing. I know they're more common in California but they're still pretty rare. I'd grab it. These cars are getting harder to find. That car probably has the aluminum hood since it is EFI. That might be worth grabbing to replace the heavy steel hood on yours.

cadillac kevin
05-16-13, 01:02 PM
Grab the bumper fillers if they are in good shape while you're there. Someone here will buy them.

ferrisworld
05-16-13, 01:25 PM
I'll get what I can I guess. I already have an aluminum hood. Probably 2/3 of the cars I see out here have them. Even seen a couple of early 80s cars with them.

cadillac kevin
05-16-13, 01:31 PM
I'll get what I can I guess. I already have an aluminum hood. Probably 2/3 of the cars I see out here have them. Even seen a couple of early 80s cars with them.

I'd love to have an aluminum hood for my brougham (but shipping would be insane for a hood)

Fleetwood472
05-16-13, 01:39 PM

Ya it must be a lot more common in California for them to have aluminum hoods. A lot harder to find everywhere else. The only cars that weren't California cars with aluminum hoods standard were Fleetwoods I think. So are you going to run the EFI stock or are you going to modify it to run a newer ecm/sensors?

ferrisworld
05-17-13, 04:42 AM
Well, I think I'll have to have it setup stock so I can pass smog. If they see I'm running more modern stuff with like a megasquirt they'll probably fail me. So I wanted to see if I could figure out a way to swap in the stock computer and disable/hide new things it doesn't need for smog inspections, and then switch back to the new stuff after I pass.

As for hoods its weird. I saw a couple of fleetwoods in a yard last year and niether of them had aluminum hoods. One was a 79, then other a 77 I think. Maybe they weren't originally California cars like mine, but I think I remember them having AIR pumps, and mine never did.

If you want an aluminum hood, why not make a California road trip? Drive out here with no hood, get a hood, and drive home. That's what I actually did since I don't have a truck, but it was only an hour drive.

cadillac kevin
05-17-13, 09:24 AM
Well, I think I'll have to have it setup stock so I can pass smog. If they see I'm running more modern stuff with like a megasquirt they'll probably fail me. So I wanted to see if I could figure out a way to swap in the stock computer and disable/hide new things it doesn't need for smog inspections, and then switch back to the new stuff after I pass.

As for hoods its weird. I saw a couple of fleetwoods in a yard last year and niether of them had aluminum hoods. One was a 79, then other a 77 I think. Maybe they weren't originally California cars like mine, but I think I remember them having AIR pumps, and mine never did.

If you want an aluminum hood, why not make a California road trip? Drive out here with no hood, get a hood, and drive home. That's what I actually did since I don't have a truck, but it was only an hour drive.

I'm in MO....that's a long ass drive (and a big gas bill) for a hood.

talismandave
05-17-13, 11:01 AM
Drive out here with no hood, get a hood, and drive home. That's what I actually did since I don't have a truck, but it was only an hour drive.

:histeric: I LOVE IT!

I would have never thought of that!

jayoldschool
05-17-13, 11:24 AM
That is exactly how I got the ram air hood for my SS. A buddy was driving to Cold Lake, AB for military training. We grabbed an old hood from my scrap wagon, put it on his car, and he stopped in MB to pick up my hood. Tossed the scrap hood, bolted on the new one, and drove the rest of the trip like that.

talismandave
05-17-13, 12:27 PM
That's cheating, using a scrap hood!

I love the image of a hoodless Cadillac cruising along with the springs reaching for the sky....

ferrisworld
05-19-13, 01:31 AM
I got it all! That car had been there since March 27th, so I was slightly worried, but everything was there! I got the computer, which appeared have been replaced at one point, intake, tb, injectors, wiring harness, distributor etc. I did leave this one thing that was attached right by the windshield wiper motor. It had a vacuum hose that went to it, and then two wires that went into the main wiring harness. I think were were a couple of other wires that came off the the main harness as well, which I left. Hopefully not a big deal. I loved that the EFI harness was all mostly one piece that was separate from the rest of the car. Just pulled the connectors through the hole in the dash. There was another connector going to the computer which I assumed to be the ignition on signal and fuel pump controls. I cut it off in the middle of the dash so I got the connecor with a few feet of wire. Hopefully I can make that work. The "Electronic Fuel Injection" air cleaner lid is really cool too. Car also had a really straight body and aluminum hood, but they had a 77 Coupe there with a steel hood. Kind of started thinking on the way home how cool it would be to just have a whole factory EFI equipped car, but, maybe one day. Total for all the parts came out to almost $370! Hope I didn't get ripped off, but I could imagine paying that for the intake alone online somewhere.

As for installing this legally, I need to look into that, but there's a bill floating around in the California senate to move the smog test cutoff year from 1976 to 1981. Failed last year, but they may look at it again this year. Pray for me. I know it should be legal to do, but I think there may be some issues regarding the emissions sticker on the radiator or some nonsense, and the fact that my car is Federal emissions with no AIR pump, and might need to find a sticker for a Federal EFI car in order to avoid having to install an AIR pump to match the California EFI sticker I pulled off the car. Pray for me.

cadillac kevin
05-19-13, 08:29 AM
Maybe swap the piece that sits atop the radiator and has the sticker on it?

jamespowers
05-20-13, 01:53 AM
I got it all! That car had been there since March 27th, so I was slightly worried, but everything was there! I got the computer, which appeared have been replaced at one point, intake, tb, injectors, wiring harness, distributor etc. I did leave this one thing that was attached right by the windshield wiper motor. It had a vacuum hose that went to it, and then two wires that went into the main wiring harness. I think were were a couple of other wires that came off the the main harness as well, which I left. Hopefully not a big deal. I loved that the EFI harness was all mostly one piece that was separate from the rest of the car. Just pulled the connectors through the hole in the dash. There was another connector going to the computer which I assumed to be the ignition on signal and fuel pump controls. I cut it off in the middle of the dash so I got the connecor with a few feet of wire. Hopefully I can make that work. The "Electronic Fuel Injection" air cleaner lid is really cool too. Car also had a really straight body and aluminum hood, but they had a 77 Coupe there with a steel hood. Kind of started thinking on the way home how cool it would be to just have a whole factory EFI equipped car, but, maybe one day. Total for all the parts came out to almost $370! Hope I didn't get ripped off, but I could imagine paying that for the intake alone online somewhere.

As for installing this legally, I need to look into that, but there's a bill floating around in the California senate to move the smog test cutoff year from 1976 to 1981. Failed last year, but they may look at it again this year. Pray for me. I know it should be legal to do, but I think there may be some issues regarding the emissions sticker on the radiator or some nonsense, and the fact that my car is Federal emissions with no AIR pump, and might need to find a sticker for a Federal EFI car in order to avoid having to install an AIR pump to match the California EFI sticker I pulled off the car. Pray for me.

I think they need to move it to 1987 myself. :p I'll pray for you and me. :p

carnut
05-23-13, 12:38 AM
YOU GOT THE DISTRIBUTOR AS WELL? All the fuel injection is the same on 76 thru 79 Seville 350's as well, except the 425 injectors flow more fuel so they're not interchangeable.

ferrisworld
05-25-13, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I got the distributor, but the gear on it looks a little worn. I was aware of the Sevilles, and I see tons of those, but the intake won't work on a big block. Kind of wish I could have a factory aluminum multiport EFI intake, but I can't... I mean, I want it to put on my 425, so best to have one off a 425 right? Got it just in time too since the car is now gone and likely crunched.

ferrisworld
08-22-13, 02:17 PM
Hey there's another one! For some reason in Stockton again. An olive green 77 coupe with a T vin. http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/6D47T7Q171285

carnut
08-22-13, 04:44 PM
The car is complete except for the Choke heater in the throttle body and the upper fan shroud. 92,000 miles I believe. I Was there Tuesday. Had a rear sway bar as well. front bumper bent, no fillers.

deVille33
08-23-13, 10:46 AM
Hey there's another one! For some reason in Stockton again. An olive green 77 coupe with a T vin. http://row52.com/Vehicle/Index/6D47T7Q171285 ;) That car would be a survivor over here on the East Coast.;)

cadillac kevin
08-23-13, 11:03 AM
You californians junk too many nice 77-79 caddys :( Here, you rarely find them on the road, let alone the junkyards.

jamespowers
08-23-13, 09:06 PM
You californians junk too many nice 77-79 caddys :( Here, you rarely find them on the road, let alone the junkyards.We junk them because cars last forever out here and they are fairly common. :p

carnut
08-23-13, 09:32 PM
My definition of "JUNKING" a 77-79 Sedan or Coupe DeVille is adding 13 in. or 22 in. wheels, removing most of the suspension or filling the trunk with batteries!

jamespowers
08-24-13, 03:46 PM
My definition of "JUNKING" a 77-79 Sedan or Coupe DeVille is adding 13 in. or 22 in. wheels, removing most of the suspension or filling the trunk with batteries!

Sadly, lots of them have been junked out here then.:crying: I get tired of seeing them like that too.....:cookoo:

cadillac kevin
08-24-13, 04:10 PM
Sadly, lots of them have been junked out here then.:crying: I get tired of seeing them like that too.....:cookoo:

I hate those damn 13" wire wheels!!!

ferrisworld
08-25-13, 01:30 AM
Well, most of the ones that are out here still run. You guys should fly out and take some home with you.

jamespowers
08-25-13, 04:10 PM
Well, most of the ones that are out here still run. You guys should fly out and take some home with you.

I am out here. :p I don't have the room for more than 8 cars at the moment. :p It is also a pain fixing the suspension and everything else back to factory specs. Not to mention he expense. :ill::eek:

----------

I hate those damn 13" wire wheels!!!Yeah me too. Way to burn up the rear end like they know more than the engineers.:want:

nebulosity
08-30-13, 02:43 AM
I think they need to move it to 1987 myself. :p I'll pray for you and me. :p

I vote for that too! That would cover my '84..... emissions in cali is SUCH A PAIN.

ferrisworld
08-30-13, 04:46 AM
I actually had a pleasant experience smogging my 79 this summer. Had to take it to a STAR certified smog center. When I walked in the guy said he couldn't smog it because it was too old. Luckily I had the FSM in the trunk and he said he could do it then. They passed me with no problem except I usually have my air cleaner lid upside down and they made me flip it over. I also forgot to reset my timing to stock as I had advanced it a bit per recommendations on here, but it seemed like they either couldn't tell, or didn't care. I also have 472/500 exhaust manifolds and they didn't notice, and I have a cat back dual with a 3" cat, and they didn't even check it for an EO number or anything.

jamespowers
08-30-13, 02:02 PM
I actually had a pleasant experience smogging my 79 this summer. Had to take it to a STAR certified smog center. When I walked in the guy said he couldn't smog it because it was too old. Luckily I had the FSM in the trunk and he said he could do it then. They passed me with no problem except I usually have my air cleaner lid upside down and they made me flip it over. I also forgot to reset my timing to stock as I had advanced it a bit per recommendations on here, but it seemed like they either couldn't tell, or didn't care. I also have 472/500 exhaust manifolds and they didn't notice, and I have a cat back dual with a 3" cat, and they didn't even check it for an EO number or anything.Up there in the capitol they overlook everything. :p