: Suggestions on how to clean and protect the canvas top on my SLS 2004.

gerrysatx
05-15-13, 07:00 PM
I've noticed my canvas top absorbs water when wet. Would like to treat it with a protectant and looking for suggestions. I'm looking for product and name suggestions for a cleaner and protectant. I've also read not to use Raggtop or protectants made for "convertibles".

As usual, appreciate everyones input.

Thanks.

MoistCabbage
05-15-13, 07:52 PM
Do not treat the top with any water proofing products. It is not, and should not be water proof.

gerrysatx
05-15-13, 08:44 PM
Thanks.....hadn't been here in awhile and was reading many of the SLS posts and noticed your very recognizable name. Thanks for all your input in all the treads and your response here. No wonder my soft top has been looking great all these years. :)

Really appreciate it.

edit: spl.

MoistCabbage
05-15-13, 09:33 PM
You're very welcome.

Cloth tops really are pretty durable. The weak spot is usually the thread that holds the edge binding on, and the binding itself, which many newer tops don't even have.

flycaster
05-16-13, 09:05 AM
Perhaps, MoistCabbage, you could bring me up to speed on this. I have been using RaggTopp on my 2005 Z4 roadster for the last 8 years and find no discernible problems with the top. I have been applying it once or twice a year, each time after a good cleaning of the top. Water always beads like crazy. Although we get a lot of bird crap here in SoFL, it has always cleaned off without much difficulty. However, I must admit that there a few spots here and there.

basscatt
05-16-13, 03:48 PM
Perhaps, MoistCabbage, you could bring me up to speed on this. I have been using RaggTopp on my 2005 Z4 roadster for the last 8 years and find no discernible problems with the top. I have been applying it once or twice a year, each time after a good cleaning of the top. Water always beads like crazy. Although we get a lot of bird crap here in SoFL, it has always cleaned off without much difficulty. However, I must admit that there a few spots here and there.
-------------------------------
the discussion here is for the care/maintenance of the cloth top on a Cadillac -
and MoistCabbage gave the PROPER response -

RaggTopp is a product for convertible tops -
NOT the cloth tops on Cadillacs -

flycaster
05-16-13, 04:31 PM
Hey Basscatt, two things to consider: 1-I didn't realize that this was for specific treatment of Cadillac cloth tops; thought it was for rag tops; and 2-Never was questioning MoistCabbage's reply, just thinking that maybe I had something to learn.