: How does the plastic cover on the back of the bucket seat come off?

hauler
05-15-13, 06:22 PM
My glued together spine could use another quarter inch of foam in the driver's seat lumbar area. There are no visible fasteners on the seat. Can some one tell me how to remove the hard plastic cover on the bucket seat back?

jeffc83
05-15-13, 07:06 PM
Mine just popped right off...there are clips holding it in place. I believe I started with the bottom if I recall correctly.

hauler
05-15-13, 07:19 PM
I tried that. I have a feeling they anchored it better in 2013 due to the airbag in the side bolster of the seat back.

jeffc83
05-15-13, 07:45 PM
I tried that. I have a feeling they anchored it better in 2013 due to the airbag in the side bolster of the seat back.

I don't believe they changed the seat design at all since 2008...it was on there tight when I pulled mine off.

bronik90
05-16-13, 10:38 AM
Not to hijack this thread, but how hard do you guys think it would be to add padding to the bottom part of the seat?

I'm 6'2" 240lbs, and it feels like I bottom out my seat when I hit certain bumps in the road lol

hauler
05-16-13, 11:35 AM
You would need to remove the seat. Once the seat is out, it's just a matter of getting enough of the cover loose to insert foam. I'm 6'2" and 190 and I felt a lack of support on the left side of the cushion. I rolled up a couple of pieces of a vinyl floor mat to be 4 layers thick, and stuffed them between the spring and the cushion on the left side.

I have arthritis and back problems that tend to make me sensitive to seats without proper support. One of the things that I enjoyed the most about the 66 corvette I sold before buying my Sportwagon, was the pair of recaro bucket seats I installed in 1988. Solid comfort for 25 years, and openings to insert lumbar support pads where I wanted them. I am considering removing the Sportwagon buckets and installing recaros, if I can't install lumbar supports

tinman
05-16-13, 11:55 AM
You would need to remove the seat. Once the seat is out, it's just a matter of getting enough of the cover loose to insert foam. I'm 6'2" and 190 and I felt a lack of support on the left side of the cushion. I rolled up a couple of pieces of a vinyl floor mat to be 4 layers thick, and stuffed them between the spring and the cushion on the left side.

I have arthritis and back problems that tend to make me sensitive to seats without proper support. One of the things that I enjoyed the most about the 66 corvette I sold before buying my Sportwagon, was the pair of recaro bucket seats I installed in 1988. Solid comfort for 25 years, and openings to insert lumbar support pads where I wanted them. I am considering removing the Sportwagon buckets and installing recaros, if I can't install lumbar supports

We had a conversation on that topic earlier. Would take the price of new seats, removing and reinstalling tracks. Might take some new carpet.

And now back to your regularly scheduled programming...

hauler
05-16-13, 12:17 PM
air bag seat warning wiring is why I would rather find out how to remove the back of the bucket. The price is overcome by back pain.

C "T" ess
05-16-13, 01:48 PM
In the previous post there were pictures showing the attachment points and where and how to pull the back cover off.

exm22psu
05-16-13, 02:16 PM
The back panel pulls off from the bottom. You will pull toward you and it will swing upwards. The top inside is hinged and you can't release by pulling the top. You do not have to take the seats out to add in padding. The leather covers for both the seat bottom and back are attached underneath the back panel (seat back) and plastic surround (seat bottom). The clip onto the frame and use plastic pins.

hauler
05-16-13, 03:27 PM
In the previous post there were pictures showing the attachment points and where and how to pull the back cover off.
I searched for that and found a thread that said there was a picture of one for sale on ebay, and I found the pic and copied it.

Thanks for the hint. - Dave
BTW the metal clips on the back cover stakes were stuck so hard that three of them shredded the stakesand stayed in the steel frame when I finally pulled hard enough to remove the cover. One came out with the back cover.