: Where to begin?

Rockhead261
05-15-13, 12:16 PM
I'm sorting out a newly acquired '75 Eldo rag and need some advice. I'm an experienced home improvement guy so I know you do plumbing and electric before sheetrock. I figure there's a proper order to working on a 38-year old car. Here's what I'm looking at....

1. Mechanical. The front end is the main area of concern and I should have it squared away in another week or so. Not too many other issues.
2. Interior. The leather is typical; weathered and cracked. Door and side panels have issues, and the carpeting is aftermarket junk and will be replaced. Dash is good.
3. Top. Mechanically decent, but the pads are gone and most of the canvass seams are opening. Needs to be replaced.
4. Body. Ten year old body/paint work has held up nicely. Has a few areas of concern, but won't require a complete takedown. Touch up, wet sand, polish, and clear coat ought to do it.

Forget about the mechanicals - that's already being done. My question is, what do I do next? I want to take up the carpeting and address a small issue with the floor, so I figure the interior is next, but does that get in the way of doing the top? If I do the top, will that get in the way of doing proper bodywork? Should I just wait until winter and do it all at once?

77CDV
05-16-13, 04:39 PM
If you want to take it in pieces, I'd say do your top first, then interior, and paint/body last. Congrats on your new-to-you Eldo! :)