: New Owner - Any Useful Tips?

EvanZaiNa
05-15-13, 11:58 AM
Hi all!

My name's Evan and I'm the proud new owner of a black ATS 2.0 6MT with black interior and aluminum trim!

It's currently in the shop as I'm having the dealership remove the badges, black out the grill, back accent, and window trim, and the 18"s powder coated black. I should be picking her up sometime next week and couldn't be more excited! Will post pics.

I've had a few cars in my time, but this is my first Cadillac. Any useful tips out there? Even small things that might not be intuitive like the parking brake control being a rather small switch behind the gear shift...

Thanks!

Submariner409
05-15-13, 12:04 PM
You'll get a LOT more info on your specific car up in the ATS forums. Moved.

donavo
05-15-13, 12:26 PM
Hi all!

My name's Evan and I'm the proud new owner of a black ATS 2.0 6MT with black interior and aluminum trim!

It's currently in the shop as I'm having the dealership remove the badges, black out the grill, back accent, and window trim, and the 18"s powder coated black. I should be picking her up sometime next week and couldn't be more excited! Will post pics.

I've had a few cars in my time, but this is my first Cadillac. Any useful tips out there? Even small things that might not be intuitive like the parking brake control being a rather small switch behind the gear shift...

Thanks!

i would suggest washing ur car urself cuz it took only one wash from a carwash to put the maximum allowed swirl marks on my raven black ats as possible....

also, im assuming ur murdering the ats? blacking everything out? not a fan of the look but i would be interested to see how it comes out.

73JPS
05-15-13, 10:21 PM
Funny you mention the parking brake: I wasn't sure how well I would get used to it, but it works very well and fairly intuitively. Basically it's operation is just as if it were a handbrake: pull up to set (you don't have to hold it), and push it down to release. You just have to remember to have your foot on the brake when releasing it, or it will stay engaged.

EvanZaiNa
05-15-13, 11:34 PM
thanks, submariner!

i'm sure there's a lot of nifty little things i will discover.

i usually wash my own car, but it is VERY good to know about the fragility of the paint. i've always waited for my car to be a year old before even considering a car wash so i suppose if i'm in a pinch i should use a hand car wash!

flycaster
05-16-13, 08:32 AM
... is VERY good to know about the fragility of the paint. i've always waited for my car to be a year old before even considering a car wash so i suppose if i'm in a pinch i should use a hand car wash!

Agreed, hand wash is the safest way to protect your car's finish. I've heard, and my SA confirmed, that Cadillac uses some kind of ceramic paint. Wouldn't one think that if this is the case, that it would take some really "dirty" cleaning/drying rags to put swirls on the finish? I mean, ceramic is pretty hard and shouldn't be easily scratched.

Stevo Supremo
05-16-13, 10:30 AM
Agreed, hand wash is the safest way to protect your car's finish. I've heard, and my SA confirmed, that Cadillac uses some kind of ceramic paint. Wouldn't one think that if this is the case, that it would take some really "dirty" cleaning/drying rags to put swirls on the finish? I mean, ceramic is pretty hard and shouldn't be easily scratched.

Its funny you say this, but at work yesterday I asked the Paint shop Manager if they use a different kind of paint on the XTS than on the Camaro, regal and Impala, he said "nope, same stuff"

so.. yeah.. lol

but congrats!! with the MT you also get LSD standard!! be proud :)

EvanZaiNa
05-16-13, 01:13 PM
maybe the paint issue is due to curing time?

i'm no paint expert, but if i recall correctly most auto paints (and paints in general) don't completely harden inside of the first twelve months plus (though they get close to it) - could wrong

73JPS
05-16-13, 02:53 PM
Its funny you say this, but at work yesterday I asked the Paint shop Manager if they use a different kind of paint on the XTS than on the Camaro, regal and Impala, he said "nope, same stuff"

so.. yeah.. lol

Reminds me of when I was wandering around my dealership and I saw a new Malibu in "Crystal Red Tintcoat" for a price premium of roughly $300 give or take... on the ATS it's a $1300 premium! Marketing and status: gotta love it!

thebigjimsho
05-16-13, 09:33 PM
maybe the paint issue is due to curing time?

i'm no paint expert, but if i recall correctly most auto paints (and paints in general) don't completely harden inside of the first twelve months plus (though they get close to it) - could wrong

Not anymore. The factory paint is almost fully cured before it leaves the factory...