: My experience with removing the resonator

iambigperm
05-15-13, 02:39 AM
My 2006 V has a decent cam, OBX headers, no cats and a muffler delete. So it did have the factory resonator and sounded great. I was totally happy with the sound, but a couple of weeks ago the resonator started breaking up inside and rattling like there was no tomorrow. Without a cost effective replacement, I decided to try replacing it with a Magnaflow x-pipe followed by a pair of 12" dynomax bullet mufflers. That combination was about the same length as the factory resonator and went in with ease.

The moment I started it up my heart sunk. It sounded like a cross between a straight piped Honda and a race car. It was even worse when I got it out on to the road and the droning was horrible. I parked it, took some measurements and ordered a pair of stainless ebay mufflers. I didn't even drive it again until the new mufflers arrived.

Well I put them on tonight and all is well again. I think it is a bit quieter than with just a resonator, but it sounds plenty healthy. For a $152 pair of mufflers these things worked like magic. They fit well and have nice tips. My recommendation is to stick with the resonator, but if you need mufflers these do the trick nicely.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/170972246874?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

JFensty
05-15-13, 07:48 AM
Can you get a sound clip? Did you keep the bullet mufflers in place of the resonator?
How's the drone?

Vav
05-15-13, 08:57 AM
I have a cam, Kooks 1-7/8 longtubes, non-catted mids, corsa exhaust with corsa h-resonator. I had to run it without the resonator for a while after the longtubes were installed and it sounded like a stock car. I was worried it wouldnt quiet down much, but after I had the resonator reinstalled it was perfect. Nice rumble at idle and cruise, no drone, and is loud as S#!T at WOT! All in all the resonator helps way more than I had expected.

TheLostDriver
05-15-13, 09:10 AM
I guess different folks different strokes

iambigperm
05-15-13, 11:52 PM
Here it is with the original resonator...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQjJFOOymI

And now the x-pipe and mufflers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7_81t8h2fs

I didn't bother taking a video with x-pipe and no mufflers. It sounded like crap.

----------

I did keep the bullet mufflers behind the x-pipe. There is zero drone now that the ebay mufflers were added.

Naf
05-16-13, 02:20 AM
did you find an increase in its output

And wow thats quiet!!!

Manofmetal01
05-16-13, 09:39 AM
Not to thread jack..but...anyone interested in an unused corsa h-pipe? Have one collecting dust..just sayin

HAMSTAR
05-16-13, 09:45 AM
X-pipe will allow you to hear cylinder firing note at high RPM. With the resonator is will sound more like a vacuum cleaner.

iambigperm
05-16-13, 09:45 AM
It actually isn't as quiet as the second video leads you to believe. I doubt any of this made any difference in hp. All the exhaust components are straight through.

HAMSTAR
05-16-13, 10:01 AM
Heard a little too much whine on that last rev from inside the car. How are your belts/power steering fluid looking?