: Steering Issue?

EnvoyBu
05-14-13, 07:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep7NDipGmtg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHTCX8oavMU

My car started doing this today. Any idea on what it is, guys?

flycaster
05-14-13, 08:54 PM
I just brought my car in for some minor fixes (and to check what I felt was somewhat loose steering). The SA told me that there was a steering tech bulletin that called for a reprogramming. However, I don't know the particulars of the bulletin and I don't think the reprogramming did anything to improve the steering. BTW, the steering is fine, I just would like it to be tighter (coming from an E46). Nonetheless, you might want to check this out with your dealer.

EnvoyBu
05-14-13, 09:10 PM
I just brought my car in for some minor fixes (and to check what I felt was somewhat loose steering). The SA told me that there was a steering tech bulletin that called for a reprogramming. However, I don't know the particulars of the bulletin and I don't think the reprogramming did anything to improve the steering. BTW, the steering is fine, I just would like it to be tighter (coming from an E46). Nonetheless, you might want to check this out with your dealer.

Did yours sound like mine does?

flycaster
05-14-13, 09:26 PM
Lucky me, no undue sounds from my steering wheel.

Siren05
05-14-13, 09:29 PM
I get the belt whining sound

73JPS
05-14-13, 09:49 PM
I get the belt whining sound

What belt? This is electric power steering, no?

EnvoyBu
05-14-13, 10:58 PM
So has anyone found a solution for this?

CadyTech4Life
05-14-13, 11:36 PM
Sounds rubbery, hard to pinpoint where on shaft noise is coming from just by video. I would listen under dash while turning wheel. If its coming from near where your feet are, could be rubber boot where shaft passes through firewall. If so spray some lube down there and see if it changes. Otherwise, could be a bunch of things, clock spring, bearing, trim contact? Location of noise would help.

EnvoyBu
05-15-13, 12:08 AM
Thanks for the help.

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow, however. I'll be sure to update you guys when I get the car back.

M5eater
05-15-13, 08:41 AM
What belt? This is electric power steering, no?

The eletric motor uses a belt to power the rack. It's not visable because it's internal.

http://media.caranddriver.com/images/media/493547/electric-and-hydraulic-steering-assist-inline-electric-steering-1-photo-495706-s-original.jpg

MASCAD
05-15-13, 10:53 AM
The ZF electric steering uses a toothed (timing) belt which eliminates any slippage. The likely hood of any belt noise would be minimal with this setup.

Cadillac Cust Svc
05-15-13, 05:21 PM
Thanks for the help.

I'm taking it to the dealer tomorrow, however. I'll be sure to update you guys when I get the car back.

Hello EnvoyBu,

I see fellow community members have been able to interact with you and give you some good insight with your issue. I would like an update after your dealership visit as well and will be sure to be on the lookout for that. If there are ever additional concerns you have please feel free to private message us!

Regards,

Laura M.
Cadillac Customer Service

EnvoyBu
05-15-13, 05:24 PM
Well...

I couldn't make it to the dealership today, but the noise has decreased somewhat. It's still there though.

M5eater
05-15-13, 05:46 PM
I noticed you're not moving and at a stand still in this videos.

is it making these noises while moving?

EnvoyBu
05-20-13, 07:32 PM
Yep, it did make the noise when the car was moving. It seemed to have went away though...