: OT: LED Floodlights for the House

CUTiger78
05-14-13, 01:37 PM
Thought since there's lots of experience here re. LEDs for the Escalades, maybe somebody has some ideas re. LEDs for the house.

I'm currently using a couple of 300W halogen floodlights to light up the back patio & yard. These halogens are like the work lights sold at HD for ~$30.

I'd like to use LEDs to reduce the electric usage, but maintain the same illumination. Haven't seen anything for a reasonable price, though.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

blackex
05-14-13, 01:38 PM
You won't really find much that can compare as far as lumens and wattage go. Most LED solutions are about half the lumens of a halogen bulb and prequire about half the wattage from what i've seen. Plus they aren't cheap either.

CUTiger78
05-14-13, 03:11 PM
You won't really find much that can compare as far as lumens and wattage go. Most LED solutions are about half the lumens of a halogen bulb and prequire about half the wattage from what i've seen. Plus they aren't cheap either.

You & I are on the same sheet of music. Maybe somebody has come across something cutting edge.

And not cheap - I saw one solution that looked to have 6 or 8 150W LED equivalents in a row, kind of a light bar, that went for $850. I think it still pulled 300W. Too expensive for a test run for me!

LowNslow
05-14-13, 05:49 PM
I have them inside my house, best $ ive spent on lighting. Leave them on for an hour & you can touch the bulb with almost 0 heat, color is crisp(amber option is available), cut electric bill & LED will outlast any other bulb. I tried 5diff CCFL bulbs & was not happy with them. Heres a comparison shot of LED(r/l) & a GE Reveal CCFL(middle). Ill try to get some better pics tomorrow.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BHA6OUqCcAAfJEo.jpg

Whiterob
05-16-13, 01:54 PM
This isn't a floodlight, but worth looking into.. I DJ and am considering using these for uplighting.

http://www.amazon.com/Colorful-Flood-Landscape-Remote-Control/dp/B006UOD8U4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1360218447&sr=8-4&keywords=remote+controlled+lights