: fuel efficient used car for city driving

mhamilton
05-14-13, 09:18 AM
Been toying with the idea of getting a city beater to keep miles off the Jag... something small and zippy that gets 30 mpg would be preferable. For some reason I can't find anything that seems to get more than 20 mpg city. Even mid-20s city mpg would be fantastic.

Looking at things from the late 90s, early 2000s. Like the little Mercedes c230, but the Kompressor I4 looks to be getting around 20 city, 30 highway. A Volvo S70 2.4L I5 18/25 mpg (NA).

What gives? I get 19 mpg in my current car and 30+ highway with a 4.2L V8. My Eldo regularly got 20 mpg city and 28+ hwy. I had a 2010 S80 as a loaner for a while, 3.2L NA I6 and I was getting around 23 city. Maybe it's my driving style? I think the S80 was EPA rated 18/25 or something like that. You think I could get mid 20s in a 2.4L Volvo?

Are there any other decent city sleepers I might consider? Nothing really jumps to mind. Granted I'm not looking at getting a used 1997 Kia just to save a few bucks on gas. I can't think of anything that falls int other "fun and zippy" category from GM. I remember their Cobalt I4 did not get very good city mileage even when it was new...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-14-13, 10:23 AM
Get a stick shift Civic. Great on fuel, reliable and Honda knows how to build a fun to drive manual transmission. Mid 2000's models are rated at 30/38.

truckinman
05-14-13, 10:39 AM
If you're getting the mileage you do with the jag, why spend thousands on a car simply to save a couple mpg. You wouldn't even own either car long enough to make it financially beneficial in the long run. Plus you'd be paying for two cars on insurance and have two gas tanks to fill.

Just say you're looking for an excuse to buy a fun car. Lol. Bc that's really the only reason I could see.

Just my 0.02

Ranger
05-14-13, 11:00 AM
If you dare.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqUt7fJSMvyn3pA4dR1Wn4-xB4tCUWSeGqQ15ouNN_z4MDpHR8

I imagine that are pretty cheap (dollar wise I mean, the rest goes without saying).

truckinman
05-14-13, 11:08 AM
If you dare.

I imagine that are pretty cheap (dollar wise I mean, the rest goes without saying).

My aunt has one of those Scion things are look like the smart car. Not even available with cruise control n she paid 22k! Anyway, I drove it once for the hell of it and it got 36 mpg in town! That impressed me....nothing else did tho lol

creeker
05-14-13, 11:29 AM
One of my young nieces needed an econo peanut, I spent quite a bit of time researching a small car for her, I found the suzuki swift was a very reliable car,
I think they have a 1.6 liter engine, I think geo metro is the same vehicle, check Carsurvey.org for reviews by actual owners of these cars.

----------

&nbsp; One of my young nieces needed an econo peanut, I spent quite a bit of time researching a small car for her, I found the suzuki swift was a very reliable car,<br>I think they have a 1.6 liter engine,&nbsp;I think geo metro is the same vehicle, check Carsurvey.org for reviews by actual owners of these cars.

mhamilton
05-14-13, 11:49 AM
Get a stick shift Civic. Great on fuel, reliable and Honda knows how to build a fun to drive manual transmission. Mid 2000's models are rated at 30/38.

True, they certainly would, but I guess I should have added additional criteria. I hate manuals, especially in stop-n-go traffic, and not looking to spend 10 grand on a beater car. Looking in the sub-5k range. Lots of new cars seem to get good mileage, but not buying a new Nissan or Mazda. I drove a CVT Nissan Sentra in NY traffic and still got 27 city.

If you're getting the mileage you do with the jag, why spend thousands on a car simply to save a couple mpg. You wouldn't even own either car long enough to make it financially beneficial in the long run. Plus you'd be paying for two cars on insurance and have two gas tanks to fill.
Just say you're looking for an excuse to buy a fun car. Lol. Bc that's really the only reason I could see.

Obviously money is not the object, otherwise I wouldn't have bought a long wheelbase XJ. As I mentioned in my first post, I want to get a city beater to keep miles off the Jag. I'm not sure a Volvo S70 really counts as a "fun" car...

thebigjimsho
05-14-13, 12:22 PM
If you dare.

Worst suggestion ever. Barely gets 40mpg, needs 89 octane, zero cargo space, can't fit two to conventional parking space thus no real city benefit.

And its not cheap enough...

BlazerZR5
05-14-13, 03:05 PM
2.2 non-echotec 5speed Cavalier FTW!!!

cheap,easy to fix,parts are readily available,and inexpensive....

Same 2.2 in my 4bangin s10's good for 300k:D seriously,I had a '00 s10 347,000 miles all original.

truckinman
05-14-13, 03:52 PM
2.2 non-echotec 5speed Cavalier FTW!!!

cheap,easy to fix,parts are readily available,and inexpensive....

Same 2.2 in my 4bangin s10's good for 300k:D seriously,I had a '00 s10 347,000 miles all original.

Yea our 2.2 echo tech Saturn ion gets a combined of about 26. Surprisingly, tho, our 4wd Rav 4 gets combined 27. Lol.

----------

True, they certainly would, but I guess I should have added additional criteria. I hate manuals, especially in stop-n-go traffic, and not looking to spend 10 grand on a beater car. Looking in the sub-5k range. Lots of new cars seem to get good mileage, but not buying a new Nissan or Mazda. I drove a CVT Nissan Sentra in NY traffic and still got 27 city.

Obviously money is not the object, otherwise I wouldn't have bought a long wheelbase XJ. As I mentioned in my first post, I want to get a city beater to keep miles off the Jag. I'm not sure a Volvo S70 really counts as a "fun" car...

Yea I rethought the "fun" statement after thinking about the Volvo lol. I was just thinking about your "zippy" comment.

ryannel2003
05-14-13, 03:55 PM
An E36 BMW 318i would be a good car. Reliable motors, easy to work on, readily available under $5k, and great gas mileage. Plus they are very fun to drive.

orconn
05-14-13, 04:48 PM
^^^ BMW 318s would be dogs with an automatic and air conditioning.

ryannel2003
05-14-13, 05:17 PM
No less of a dog than a Civic or Cobalt. I'd much rather drive a 318i than a japanese subcompact.

orconn
05-14-13, 05:24 PM
True, if either of the alternatives you mention had an automatic it would be a dog ... regardless of national origin!

dkozloski
05-14-13, 05:32 PM
Honda 55 Trail

mhamilton
05-14-13, 07:52 PM
The BMW E36 is intriguing... I liked them a lot when they were new. I didn't know they were priced in the "budget car" range these days. So they can get mid 20s city mileage? I would have expected the little C230 to do the same, but apparently the supercharged I4 is only good for low 20s mpg. I'm definitely going to look some up!

Saturn is interesting, didn't really think about those.

Did Oldsmobile make any interesting 4 cylinder cars before their demise? Which kinda of has me wondering about an Aurora... they were always good looking cars.

Ranger
05-14-13, 09:12 PM
Worst suggestion ever. Barely gets 40mpg, needs 89 octane, zero cargo space, can't fit two to conventional parking space thus no real city benefit.

And its not cheap enough...
Actually that was tongue in cheek. I really would never recommend that car to my worst enemy.....................well, maybe him.

Aron9000
05-15-13, 03:10 PM
You can find them for under $5,000 all day long . . .

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ2vvZsUDrN4p6V2FVOrSdry-EfOSxWcxVhJ5rJuVLkoeAGWNAVVw

Seriously though for under $5,000 you are going to look at a LOT of junk. I'd buy whatever automatic 4 cylinder you could find in good shape at that price. Just don't buy anything Chrysler or Mitsubishi, or some bastard love child of those two makes. 4 cylinder/automatic is what everybody on a budget wants, so demand and prices are artifically high.

thebigjimsho
05-15-13, 05:37 PM
Actually that was tongue in cheek. I really would never recommend that car to my worst enemy.....................well, maybe him.

Oh, I know. It amazes me how many people drive them...